GM's new 10 speed. Guarantee's a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I assume that rev matching is not double clutching...

I was hoping for a 10 speed manual, honestly, like a dual range diff with a really sporty setup and a really economical one. With dual ODs in a 5-speed (My saab had that and I really liked it), the ratio variations could make for some really good options.

Alas, in the world of 7 and 8 speed ATs, a 10 is interesting but not really exciting to me...

I thought there was a massive issue with EPA mpg measurements, where the OEM couldn't downshift out of top gear during the test?

I've wondered why they couldn't affix top gear onto the side of the trans, where it could be easily swapped. My VW had that, and some guys would swap 5th to a taller OD.

Anyhow... I too have wondered about adding a high/low range, sorta like in 4x4 trucks. My guess is the ~5% loss every time you go through a gear set is an issue. Actually I read once that close gear ratio planetaries lose quite a bit, not sure what close is though.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I assume that rev matching is not double clutching...

I was hoping for a 10 speed manual, honestly, like a dual range diff with a really sporty setup and a really economical one. With dual ODs in a 5-speed (My saab had that and I really liked it), the ratio variations could make for some really good options.

Alas, in the world of 7 and 8 speed ATs, a 10 is interesting but not really exciting to me...

The 9 speed used in the Cherokee is supposed to be one of the more troublesome ones in the industry now.
I felt 99% sure I was going to buy a V6 Cherokee until I actually test drove one. I told the salesman that it was lacking in pep, and he laughed at me and said it had to have more than the four banger in my RAV4. Told him that I had 270HP in that thing and the Jeep just did not measure up, and his jaw dropped open and he didn't know what to say.

Not much of a salesman if he didn't know about V6 RAV4's.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It surprises me that GM is putting the 10-speed in the ZL1 as the first production application. Seems like the Corvette always gets the new goodies first. Or they would get a bigger boost in CAFE if they put the 10-speed in trucks. All in good time, I suppose.

maybe this is the best way to get beta testers to point fingers at... Or if a massive success, then to use as a basis to chest thump...

every nameplate, style and new generation to date made this claim..'with the lightweight, stiffer structure' ..difficult to measure or disclaim, no one ever argues..after all these years of claims I'm surprised they flex at all.

Last edited:
The '67 is the prettiest of all. The last couple gens lack a decent green house OTOH, Thats not a big issue with a 1/4 miler
grin2.gif

Last edited:
It surprises me that GM is putting the 10-speed in the ZL1 as the first production application. Seems like the Corvette always gets the new goodies first. Or they would get a bigger boost in CAFE if they put the 10-speed in trucks. All in good time, I suppose.

maybe this is the best way to get beta testers to point fingers at... Or if a massive success, then to use as a basis to chest thump...

I'd wait for the beta testers to report back. While it sounds great I'd want to hear some real world reports. The 9 speed rental I had left me with a bad taste.

If it can put up with folks tracking it hard, then it can put up with Joe Boatowner hauling their boat every summer weekend. Or the plow guys in the winter. Or the one guy who does both with their truck.

Having more speeds along with good programming means the transmission can be programmed to practically "read minds" with the about ideal gear for 99% of the driving conditions the car will encounter. ZF is practically that good with programming their 8-speed, so it can be done.

Hopefully, this leaves the possibility of an NA, lighter yet, stripped down even more than the 1LE, Z28 version.
wink.gif

Is there ANY room in the LT1 block for displacement increases??
21.gif
(But I still HATE the idea of AFM/DOD in a real 'track car'.
31.gif
)

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Fantastic performance, it is unfortunate that it still looks hideous
21.gif

I'm a Chevy guy but went with the mustang because the camaro looked too modern. I sat in one of these at the Boston auto show and it felt claustrophobic. There's just not enough glass.

I do prefer a big pushrod v8 over just about any ohc engine.

Hopefully the newer autos bang shifts hard. The slow flare shifts for smoothness is cowardly.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Hopefully, this leaves the possibility of an NA, lighter yet, stripped down even more than the 1LE, Z28 version.
wink.gif

Is there ANY room in the LT1 block for displacement increases??
21.gif

Yes.

Speaking from the GM truck side their 6 speed is fine. Strange shifting sometime but overall reliable. The new 8 speeds in the new trucks are having lots of problems. Now we see the 10 speed in the cars which will probably come to the trucks soon. GM needs to slow down a little and perfect what they have.

It should be fast indeed.

10 speeds tho...might as well use a CVT. What does that give you a 500 RPM sweep per gear change?

Has anyone heard what this would sound like for a muscle car? I like the longer wind up of revs...10 speeds would be so short it would sound like the same gear note the whole time?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

10 speeds tho...might as well use a CVT. What does that give you a 500 RPM sweep per gear change?

Has anyone heard what this would sound like for a muscle car? I like the longer wind up of revs...10 speeds would be so short it would sound like the same gear note the whole time?

In a 1/4 mile run I'd be willing to bet a 2 speed Power Glide will beat an 8 or 10 speed ZF in two of the same cars with the same engine. The only difference being the transmission.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

In a 1/4 mile run I'd be willing to bet a 2 speed Power Glide will beat an 8 or 10 speed ZF in two of the same cars with the same engine. The only difference being the transmission.
27.gif

I'd take that bet.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
ZF is practically that good with programming their 8-speed, so it can be done.

Varies by platform. The new BMW's with the 4 cylinder turbo motors have tremendously responsive programming, so does my wife's RAM. The shifts are super quick, yet butter smooth every time.

Yet members here have complained about the same unit in other cars...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

I'd take that bet.

Smart man!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I'd take the bet...as long as I could spec out the Powerglide appropriately.
smile.gif

We're talking muscle cars here! So spec it as you see fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back