GM: the shame of a nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

What a stupid post.
smirk2.gif

My 97 Olds mini van, which is about to turn 170,000 miles, is as reliable as the day is long--and everything still works on it.

So now I'm stupid because I've had a hard [censored] day, am [censored] from some chincy GM POS dying without warning or reason? Whatever man. Hope you enjoy your [censored] from your defunct company. I must be why they ran themselves into the ground too right? Watch it turn out to be a fuel pump or ECM or something... i didnt know those were regular maintainance items, but again I dont willingly drive garbage mobiles and thus i'm stupid.

You said it gave you no warning? Ok let me ask you if you were in the market to buy a used car and when you went to go look at a car you had to mess with it to get it to move and it was obviously not maintained would you take that as a warning to not buy it because it might not be in good shape and would probably brake down on you? Sorry for the run on sentence but man I can't believe someone would blame any manufacturer for a vehicle that is obviously abused like this.

Comically enough, it was a Venture van that drove my GM-Zealot aunt away from GM vehicles.

Her husband is a big GM fan, they've always owned Chevy and GMC trucks. Her last truck was an 80-something flairside regular cab with a lopey-cammed 350 in it. She had a custom wooden floor built for the bed....etc.

Her husband had an earlier 80's truck, the floor eventually rotted out of the cab.

This would have been early 2000's....

She bought a Venture van, he bought a Silverado with the 4.8L.

They still have the Silverado.

She had the van for a little over a year. She does auction shopping, so there were periods of time when the vehicle would have some decent weight in it.

The shocks went out of it, it ate brakes, a fuel pump and various electronic issues plagued it to the point that she traded it in on a..... HYUNDAI! Of all vehicles.

She leased a Sante Fe for two years IIRC, and was really happy with it. No problems. So she bought a Tucson which she still has currently, has had it for 4 years now IIRC, and it has been great. AFAIK, the only thing it has needed has been tires.

It isn't a good sign when the die-hards start jumping ship....

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Comically enough, it was a Venture van that drove my GM-Zealot aunt away from GM vehicles.

Her husband is a big GM fan, they've always owned Chevy and GMC trucks. Her last truck was an 80-something flairside regular cab with a lopey-cammed 350 in it. She had a custom wooden floor built for the bed....etc.

Her husband had an earlier 80's truck, the floor eventually rotted out of the cab.

She had the van for a little over a year. She does auction shopping, so there were periods of time when the vehicle would have some decent weight in it.

The shocks went out of it, it ate brakes, a fuel pump and various electronic issues plagued it to the point that she traded it in on a..... HYUNDAI! Of all vehicles.

She leased a Sante Fe for two years IIRC, and was really happy with it. No problems. So she bought a Tucson which she still has currently, has had it for 4 years now IIRC, and it has been great. AFAIK, the only thing it has needed has been tires.

I would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford....... Just felt the need to fit in this thread lol.

Max_Wander- any "work" vehicle can be abused into an unreliable hunk of junk, including Toyotas / Hondas / Chevys / Fords. You have no idea what kind of abuse that vehicle did/did not go through. You also do not have a comparable vehicle to compare it with that was inflicted with the same abuse. If you intended to make the point that GM vehicles are junk, you failed MISERABLY. The only thing you've exposed in your utterly ridiculous post is your unabashed bias against GM vehicles. Please take your fanboy ignorance to the Autoblog comment section where it belongs instead of littering BITOG with it.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford....... Just felt the need to fit in this thread lol.

hahahhah
grin2.gif

Other than some rust and the fuel pump though, the Silverado has been good. Oh yes, the Venture also had the intake gasket issue! That's why she traded it! Now I remember.

I'm happy I have a Hyundai and after 230K+ KM of trouble free driving and 0 trips to the dealer I will definitely be buying another one.

My co-worker has a SV6 (Montana, Venture same idea) and it is only a couple years old (Maybe 3) and it has had 2 wheel bearings (different sides), a faulty fuel pump was replaced, a drive shaft fell apart while driving, a door hinge on the passenger side door came apart, and numerous ghostly check-engine lights. These lights are reset and then the light comes on again with another code, it gets reset and then another one appears. (Probably a bad PCM)

This van has 60K KM on it and is being traded in next week for a Hyundai Sonata on my recommendations because the lady is tired of dealing with the van and it's costly up-keep. (Doesn't need the van anymore either)

I can't blame her, and to me this is one of the things that just proves the brand isn't where it needs to be yet.
frown.gif

Oh and now that everyone knows that I work for Quiznos, we have 3 logoed GMC Denalis that are fun to drive and are very comfortable, they are all decked out and I have driven one home on occasion for special events at some of my stores.

They haven't been cheap to keep on the road. They have about 100K KM's on each of them and are about 5/6 years old and each has seen their fair share of numerous repairs. 1 has a bad piston slap problem but not due to neglect or abuse, because it sees regular maintenance at the dealership always on time as they all do.

1 of them we have spent almost $2K on keeping the A/C running and finally we gave up, so in the summer that one spends most of its life in the garage because no one wants to drive it.

All 3, that's right, all 3 always have their Check-Engine lights illuminated for some stupid reason or another. Everyone in the office and myself are convinced this is just a "GM thing" as this is common with their own personal GM vehicles and they have learned to "just ignore it".
smirk2.gif

Make of it what you will... Just bringing my experiences with GM products to the table.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

What a stupid post.
smirk2.gif

My 97 Olds mini van, which is about to turn 170,000 miles, is as reliable as the day is long--and everything still works on it.

So now I'm stupid because I've had a hard [censored] day, am [censored] from some chincy GM POS dying without warning or reason? Whatever man.

I didn't say you were stupid, I said the post was stupid.

I am locking this thread because it is going no where. Any vehicle that has not been maintained can not be expected to last. Blame lack of maintenance not GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back