GM: the shame of a nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's not often I drive a GM. In fact, I can't recall the last time I did drive one...until today.

Took a "work" van which is a Pontiac Trans Sport 3800 96-ish (with the bonneville headlights) for today. What a MISTAKE. It needed 3 liters of ATF before I could get it to move. The thing has 240K KM's and it drives like pure GARBAGE. The suspension makes terrible knocking noises, jiggles on the slightest bump and it pulls to the left. But this being a GM, you get all the extras and bonus failures from all the components that NEVER fail on any other car like the guages. The tach is barely accurate, the speedo is WAY, WAY off... as soon as you start rolling it's up in 100km/h area and then it just flails and spazzes wildly from there... I find that so very irritating when the simplest things like that fail for no good reason but it was at least rolling on it's own power (how sad when you're just thankful that it can move itself). Anyway, I figure I'll make an attempt to do some maint's on it seeing as how it had low coolant and there was probably oil in whatever was in the cooling system given the grimey sludge. So I head on over to the parts store, coming up to a red light and the tach drops to 0. Oh lovely, I had forgotten what it was like to be stranded for so many years of driving decently manufactured automobiles
smirk2.gif
so I'm stuck in the middle of the road- sharing the plight of many GM drivers with a POS that wont start. I crank the GD thing until the battery dies (which didnt take long) and thankfully got a good samaritan to help me push it off the road. All in all, after 20 minutes in a GM after several years, I never want to find myself behind the wheel of a GM product now or in the near (or distant) future. I hope the government takes the company and turns it into a food canning or kitty litter manufacturing operation, because GM has NO business making autos.
15.gif
57.gif
and thats my just-got-stranded rant
mad.gif

LOL You mean it didn't spontaneously combust too?

A "work" car.... Bet its been treated well.

You're complaining about problems on a 13-year old GM van with 240k km (150k miles) that is used as a general 'work' vehicle, and using THAT to represent ALL GM products today???

GET REAL!!!!!!

Geeeeeeze!

well max, i certainly feel for you. nobody likes getting stranded like that. after driving a lot of ford's, gm's and a few chrysler's products (dodge trucks) i can honestly say that has never happened to me. with that said, i'm probably on my last gm vehicle also.

hey Addy, I'm no big fan of Ford, but the Econolines have over 400k KMs, gets treated much worse and while no luxury cruiser, has at least not failed without any warning like this!

So your mad because you took what sounds like a van that has been beat on and not taken care of that ended up dieing on you.

so the transmission would not work becaused it was short fluid? WOW WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT!

its a minivan it has no use being a beater work vehicle.

Last edited:
I was on a trip to Mexico as a kid. Our 13 passenger Dodge van died in Juarez and had to be towed back to El Paso Texas.

I feel your pain and understand your anger. But I am not so sure this is GM's fault as it is your employer providing poor service to their fleet.
Although you can go ahead and blame GM as I don't agree with many things the current administration is doing.

wapacz, essentially, yes! the failure is something electronic (probably coils) not like it spun a bearing or tossed a rod from no oil.

defektes, the tranny being like a billion year old design actually didnt fail. it leaks like a sieve but it was topped off... it was something electronic more than likely, like those stellar reliable guages. 240,000 KM's is really not that much, or maybe I'm just driving the wrong vehicles lol

superdave, yeah the company should trash this thing asap. it can't even manage unladen service call work.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You're complaining about problems on a 13-year old GM van with 240k km (150k miles) that is used as a general 'work' vehicle, and using THAT to represent ALL GM products today???

GET REAL!!!!!!

Geeeeeeze!

+1

You might want to know what you are talking about first....how can base facts on a Van that usually hauls people?

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
wapacz, essentially, yes! the failure is something electronic (probably coils) not like it spun a bearing or tossed a rod from no oil.

defektes, the tranny being like a billion year old design actually didnt fail. it leaks like a sieve but it was topped off... it was something electronic more than likely, like those stellar reliable guages. 240,000 KM's is really not that much, or maybe I'm just driving the wrong vehicles lol

superdave, yeah the company should trash this thing asap. it can't even manage unladen service call work.
33.gif

Again, all I hear is "work truck"....

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
hey Addy, I'm no big fan of Ford, but the Econolines have over 400k KMs, gets treated much worse and while no luxury cruiser, has at least not failed without any warning like this!

Econolines are a totally different class of van. They are a work van built to take abuse. Now the transport is a family minivan meant to haul kids around. Though the way you say it drove leads me to believe that it was treated as a work van and over loaded many many times. Leading to the suspension and steering being totally shot.

as for the coil. One coil pack covers 2 cylinders. So it should still start up but run very badly.

I had that same thing happen to me but it was with a Dodge mini van. It had been passed around from user to user and hadn't been serviced for way too long. My last GM pickup was 16 years old with 227k miles on the clock when I sold it, and it never left me stranded and the one before that was 20 years old and ran great. My new GM pickup is 2002 with no major failures. In your case the Trans Sport was built on a car base not a truck chassis.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be more upset with your cheap boss than I would be at GM.

Sorry you got stranded dude.....Tell your boss to buy some proper work vehicles.

Last edited:
oh nooo... so the decision was made that it's going to the shop for diagnosis and not to the scrap yard! i personally can't wait to find out what the problem is, i'll let you all know. i just ask why hang onto this thing though, it's not hard to put the TSSA# on another vehicle

This kind of rant has no place on BITOG IMO. Let the guy take out his rage elsewhere. Administrator: Please delete!FWIW --Oldtommy

My GM vehicles always started...never stranded even once in many different ones. It was living at the dealerships for hours on end to get problem after problem resolved (if I could) repeatedly that drove me away from GM. IIRC my last truck was at the dealer for repair about 20 times in the first 12 months. The first trip back was the day after I bought it.

You can't blame a 16yr old 150,000 mile WORK vehicle. I'm surprised it's still in service. That thing is a light duty family hauler, not a work vehicle.

We have a large fleet of Ford F-150s and they're beat to [censored] after 2-3 years and are auctioned off. In no way do I think there's anything wrong with Ford because I've seen what these poor trucks are put through. They're work trucks and are flown through the oil fields at 45mph, the same "roads" I have to drive the Murano at 5-10mph to keep from destroying it. They're severely overloaded and generally abused. Instead of blaming Ford, I blame the operators for their driving habits and the company for not supplying something built for the abuse like a Chevy....lol...kidding. They should supply F-350s in place of the 150s and double the lifespan.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
This kind of rant has no place on BITOG IMO. Let the guy take out his rage elsewhere. Administrator: Please delete!FWIW --Oldtommy

I don't agree with the OP, but deleting the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back