GM Spending Big Money on EV Production Plants

If the EV has Direct Injection or CVT not having it!

😂 That’s the funny thing about so many “car enthusiasts” (especially here on BITOG).

THEM: “Cars are too complicated nowadays: I hate 5 speed autos, ethanol fuel, 6 speed autos, fuel injection, 7 speed autos, CVTs, 8 speed autos, variable valve timing, 9 speed autos, displacement on demand, 10 speed autos, direct injection, catalytic converters, evap systems, particulate filters, DEF, etc.

ME: Ok, I suggest getting an EV. They don’t have any of that stuff and are very simple machines.

THEM: But I hate EVs!!!

Ford just announced $22B in EVs through 2025.

Doubling Down on Connected EVs
Farley said Ford will now invest at least $22 billion in electrification through 2025, nearly twice whatthecompanyhadpreviouslycommittedtoEVs. Hesaidthecompanyis“allinandwillnot cede ground to anyone” in developing and delivering connected electric vehicles and services in mainstream areas of strength for Ford: pickups, commercial vans and SUVs.
“We are accelerating all our plans – breaking constraints, increasing battery capacity, improving costs and getting more electric vehicles into our product cycle plan,” Farley said . “People are responding to what Ford is doing today, not someday.”

E8CFEBB0-4726-4796-A4E8-E00F5EAFC0C4.jpeg

Here’s the current state of their new, massive Ultium battery cell plant in Lordstown, OH.

Infrastructure is key. The world wants EVs. America can lead the way or let someone else have it.
Some people in this world want EVs. Some despise them, and nobody wants them forced down their throats...I think automakers need to open their eyes and realize that ICE vehicles will need to be around for a long time yet...

I just roll my eyes when people say "But you can't go on a road trip in it without stopping to charge it". Yeah Karen, this is for commuter vehicles. Drive your other car for the road trip. Most people have more than 1 car anyways. How often is the average Joe REALLY going on a road trip for it to matter? If you're a special case, then don't buy one.

It takes time for technology to evolve. When ICE cars first came out, they sucked. Slow, unreliable, poor range, etc. but over time look at what we have now. We have to start somewhere.

I'd love an EV for my commute, and when I go out of town I can drive one of my other cars. Free charging at work too. I'm waiting for less ugly and more affordable electric cars.
So which companies will still be building the "other" car for the trip? They all are saying they will be all EV by such and such a date...

So which companies will still be building the "other" car for the trip? They all are saying they will be all EV by such and such a date...
Whoa, that was an old post. I've even had a Tesla in that timeframe :ROFLMAO:

I say I'll believe it when I see it. I think car companies are being optimistic. Once they see the charging infrastructure needing improvement, which will take a looooong time, and consumer demand for electric cars leveling out, I think the market demand will even out and car companies will keep producing ICE cars in some form.

After having done the EV route, I say the way to go for most everyone is plug-in hybrids.

They will go bankrupt again. What electric cars they build will probably be crap and no one will want them. I still think it's all a fad.

They will go bankrupt again. What electric cars they build will probably be crap and no one will want them. I still think it's all a fad.
I don't. I think EVs are here to stay, I just think it's going to take decades to make the conversion...

I drove 800 miles today, PBI to SAV then SAV to PBI, all of which was at high speed. Let's see that "newfangled tech" do that on with just one quick stop for gas, er, energy.

I keep seeing people comparing the move to EV's to the switch from steam locomotives (ancient tech) to modern diesel locomotives. But that move changed the 5% efficiency of the steam powered engine to the 35% efficiency of diesel power.

EV's are at best, 29% efficient from power plant to wheel. While modern hybrid cars are 36%. That is not a step in the right direction, unless the EV's are powered by nukes.

The Model 3 Long range requires 4 stops, PLUS a charge at destination. Titusville, FL25 min charge, Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 40 min charge. PLUS a charge near my destination then Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 25 min charge and Titusville, FL 40 min charge.

Total Tesla trip time 15 hours! That's 5 hours more than I spent driving today. Not to mention the search for a charge port in Savannah.

Sorry, but that "newfangled" tech just does not cut it yet.
But with the EV you can boast you are saving the planet.

The great reset? we will own nothing but be happy and you government causing sky high petro prices. That may or may not be a fad. The sheeple are so,so easy to herd ,,, they think what their Tv tells them to think. I can see the Ev being the best choice for certain kinds of uses.

GM’s first Ultium Cell plant is now operational. Hummer and Lyriq production can now ramp-up, as well as Silverado production starting this coming spring. 40 GWh annually once fully operational, with room for expansion.

The next plant to open will be in 2023 at the GM Spring Hill, TN complex.

Warren, OH
6F765C3B-DC2B-43B8-ABE2-5F5B9E20C647.jpeg

Spring Hill, TN (March ‘22 photo)
CB7432AE-4759-4B63-82C8-E46D468F4F31.jpeg

Last edited:
Green and saving the planet are arguable. Greener, better? Yes, but zero pollution is false. Until gas/coal-fired power stations exist. Even if you have a solar array on your roof and use it exclusively to charge your EV. It does not eliminate pollution during the production of a vehicle( does not matter EV or ICE) nor for those said solar panels.
"Saving a wallet" would be a better definition. I hope all naysayers realize that OPEX for EVs is much smaller compared to ICE. An average consumer would change the car every 5-10 years, battery failures will be covered for 8 years under warranty. Hypothetically what would you pick a 50k CAPEX car with 10k OPEX for 5 years or 4k? (just random numbers for the example)Given that both meet your commute needs?

I expect they feel a huge influx of government spending for EV's should the green new deal people be in power.
I’m not sure that will happen , the upcoming law is actually much more chinsy with gov spending.

Although many assembly and material content requirements may drive companies to insource battery related activities.

Sad part is GM historically already had this and let it stagnate

Most large businesses, telecom, streaming and real estate investors loose money taking pay off loans and government handouts. Not sure how that will shake out when primary industries spiral, this depend on handout era started with Enron and the dot com bust and never corrected

B27168BD-3C77-4E09-A952-C884AB0A8AE4.png

Last edited:
All that will happen with using electric power from the grid to operate cars and trucks is a huge increase of electric rates for everyone.
In the end charging that electric car will be costing 2 to 3 times what gas costs now. Just imagine the cost to cook your food and to run a few led lights in your house. Be careful what you wish for when it comes to the electric car crap, if they were designed the correct way it would be a good thing. But that isn't going to happen.

Back