GM on Oiled Air Filters deny warranty claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

camshaft eater.

I know someone with a 1983 Chevy truck and 305. He went thru 3 cams in less than 40,000 miles. I recall they found the problem was with some aftermarket supplier who had used poor metal in the castings for the cams. Trying to save a $$ by importing steel from overseas or something along those lines. By the time they figured it out, a lot were in the vehicles. That was back in the day of ordering millions of parts so if they are bad, you are stuck with them. I am sure they decided to not pull all those engine in the supply chain and the take the heat for those that would fail.

clean the MAF wires with non residue electrical contact cleaner and it should clear up the incorrect readings and the problem. I think this letter will just allow dealers to void warrantys solely based on the filter

I know I'm late in all this but.....

The MM Act specifically states that "unreasonable" parts or maintenance that leads to a failure can be grounds for denying a warranty claim:

quote:

15USC2303(c)

(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance).

Specifically this means that a failure caused by a mistake in maintenance can be grounds for denying the warranty. I'm pretty sure that an overoiled filter leading to MAF sensor contamination would be it.

As for oiled filters, there are several OEM oiled paper filters. The factory filter in my 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX was oiled paper, as was an OEM replacement I installed at 15K miles. I have an unused AC A773C for a Lumina APV (gone years ago). The box says "OIL WETTED PAPER for long lasting filtering efficiency." It's about 9 years old and I wouldn't use it. The oil has slightly dried out (not plastic wrapped) and has turned a darkish yellow. It's one of those short and wide cylindrical filters. The box says AC Rochester Division.

quote:

I think this letter will just allow dealers to void warrantys solely based on the filter

You are mis-stating the facts.

quote:

DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

quote:

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

No dealer can void your warranty.

btw - There is also a TSB out about oversize tires too along similar lines. So make sure you buy the same brand, size etc of replacment tire or they will void your warranty.

• Warranty Parts Center
GM's Warranty Parts Center (WPC) collects and evaluates parts returned by Dealerships in order to identify part failure causes.

"TRD is selling what appear to be rebadged K & N air filters for many of their vehicles thru Toyota dealerships."

Hey Fred, this is a very interesting point. Does TRD products void your warranttee when installed by toyota? I mean, if you had a turbo, a "TRD cotton guaze" and an after market exhaust installed on your, say, celica, does the warrenttee remain intact? If it does, It may just show that a cotton guaze is good enough for some companies, and not good enough for others. Perhaps some companies just dont want to deal with the possible problems, and loose sales of OEM parts.

All TRD parts are warranted through Toyota dealers if installed by them and won't void any other Toyota coverage. Not bad except for the silly prices dealers charge for them installed. That doesn't mean that if someone over does the oiling, it will be covered.

As far as the K&N's-- I think the word is OVERoiled, what's the difference between gooping up an air filter with excessive oil and throwing 6 quarts of oil in a 4 quart sump? Either way it's not the product, it's the MISUSE of the product.

FWIW== Sears Spectrum (at least now, in most weights) is Warren PP, identical to SuperTech as far as I know. Unlike Wallyworld, Sears puts the supplier's name right on the label so there's no guesswork.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
As far as the K&N's-- I think the word is OVERoiled, what's the difference between gooping up an air filter with excessive oil and throwing 6 quarts of oil in a 4 quart sump? Either way it's not the product, it's the MISUSE of the product.

FWIW== Sears Spectrum (at least now, in most weights) is Warren PP, identical to SuperTech as far as I know. Unlike Wallyworld, Sears puts the supplier's name right on the label so there's no guesswork.

The difference is that there's a specific oil change capacity listed in the owner's manual. I try to undershoot that by a half quart, and top it off later when it settles down. But there's a specific target.

The amount of oil that would considered "overoiling" a gauze filter is a nebulous thing. How do you really know? I've cleaned and reoiled a K&N before, and I really wasn't sure that I didn't overdo it. Wouldn't there also be a consequence to underoiling the gauze?

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
These things are becoming a big headache for the dealers on the newer vehicles.

There have been problems with the use of oversize tires, modified exhaust systems and now the performance air filters.

According to person I know well who works (actually part owner of small dealership) in a GM dealer, warranty costs are a big thing with GM (and all others for that matter) and they are on a mission to reduce costs. The dealers have to send replace warranted parts back for inspection, if GM determines the parts was not a fault, the dealer gets back-billed for the parts and does not get paid for the work.

Their warranty costs are so high because their cars are sub par quality. GM needs to get its act together.

UNeasy rider, your right about the quality problems, although I love GM cars and trucks.

But I see big problems in my dealership in New York with people comming in, with a new Suburban or such, trying to get (and getting) a new chrome rim because when they bought the car it already looked like it "hit a curb" I nearly dropped dead when my chevy dealership took care of this problem! FREE!! Some people come in and try to claim every single little thing, I think this contributes as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
Why can't GM just clean the MAF with QD Elect Contact Cleaner, slap on an AC DELCO filter, and reset the CEL and charge the customer $50?

That would make too much sense.

Better yet, if someone is going to puut an aftermarket component on a vehicle they bvetter know how to deal with it and it's issues. To many people slapping K&N's in there vehicles don't even know what a MAF sensor is or where it is located. isn't Pep boys great
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Automatic Transmission Shift

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Umm, I agree with the fact that if the oil gets on a sensor, GM shouldn't be responsible. But if they tried to tell me my K&N ruined my clutch, they'd be sending out a bulliten on how to remove an excessively oiled filter from your a-hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back