GM on Oiled Air Filters deny warranty claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM memo to dealers regarding oiled air filters and warranty claims
http://web.camaross.com/forums/anno...&forumid=25

Pulled from another site, in case you haven't read it yet

===============

The following is a memo from GM stating the use of rechargeable air filters may cause transmission shift problems, engine driveability problems & SES Light On problems (throwing codes). It also states these problems will NOT be covered under warranty. Yes, in part of the memo, it states "excessively oiled" filters. But for the most part, it reads any use of this type of filter & these issues won't be covered.

quote:
SERVICE - ALL BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, GMC TRUCK, ISUZU, OLDSMOBILE, PONTIAC AND HUMMER DEALERS

Subject: A/T Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or SES Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter -- 2004 and Prior Cars and Lt Duty Trucks and 2003-2004 HUMMER H2
Message #: VSS20040056

Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 will be available in SI on March 18, 2004.

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES)
Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter

Models: 2004 and All Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2004 HUMMER H2

DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

1. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

3. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

I think that GM is well within their reasonable rights to refuse warranty coverage for problems caused by aftermarket filters which are of an entirely different type and design as compared to the original equipment filters.

SEMA has no leg to stand on should they try to raise a stink about this.

John

It's a kick in the butt for K&N as far as negative advertising but as far as liability it all focuses on the consumer for not properly washing and re-oiling the filter.
GM and K&N will both wash their hands of any claims.
Poor Joe racer will find his search for that extra 1/10th of 1 HP can get expensive indeed.

While I'm not sure if it applies here, here's some interesting info:

MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. For additional information, check out the following links

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8123
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8128
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8129

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
If the filter is excessively oiled, and that oil caused a sensor to malfuction, than sorry, no leg for MM to stand on either...

You nailed it, the Magnuson act doesn't protect car owners against their own incompetence or using parts and materials that don't do the job right.

SEMA would be wise to let this sleeping dog lie. The problem is well documented within and outside GM and clearly not GMs fault.

I'm sure that GM didn't just dream up this problem. They are getting cars in for service and seeing that when someone improperly (i.e. excessively)
nono.gif
re-oils their filter, it is causing driveability problems.
pat.gif

MAGNUSON MOSS does not mean that anyone can put any part on their car or any lubricant in it without regard to the vehicle mfg. specifications and still enjoy warranty coverage.

It is pretty much irrelevant to a discussion of K&N airfilters just as it would be to aftermarket add on turbochargers, not-spec fluids and the like.

John

Uh, wasn't GM the first to try to "void out" 10W-40 grade oils, i.e., that the consumer had to use 10W-30 grades or possibly lose their warranty. Don't let them dictate to you...buy a car from someone else. If enough do, as during the 90's, they'll back down. GM historically has been a pompous, arrogant group of second-rate craftsmen and they simply need to be put in their place - again. (Did they get away with the oil restriction?). There are plenty of alternative car models available. GM had an American market share of 40%-50% (no exaggeration) during the 70s. Where is it now?

Yo...chill folks!
tongue.gif
I'm not defending GM or K&N, but as an automotive enthusiast, I do like to see where I stand in the lay of the law as far as any aftermarket parts...including OIL!!

Anyway, check out K&N's response:
cool.gif

K&N Response

I don't usually get into the K&N debate as it's kind of a "great taste - less filling" situation; neither side is necessarily wrong...

K&N stated in their response that a manufacturer cannot void the warranty SOLELY on the installation of an aftermarket oiled air filter. K&N may indeed be correct, but the GM document doesn't SAY that...it says that the warranty will be voided if the dealer discovers an "over-oiled" air filter...now we need a precise measurement of what constitutes "over"...
rolleyes.gif

Just to add another variable to the discussion, a 2004 Taurus I rented a few months ago even had a paragraph in the owner's manual specifically stating (I don't recall the EXACT words) NOT to use aftermarket "oiled" air filters...

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
If the filter is excessively oiled, and that oil caused a sensor to malfuction, than sorry, no leg for MM to stand on either...

You nailed it, the Magnuson act doesn't protect car owners against their own incompetence or using parts and materials that don't do the job right.

SEMA would be wise to let this sleeping dog lie. The problem is well documented within and outside GM and clearly not GMs fault.

it's NOT the air filter - IT'S THE OIL!!! Detriot quite using oiled air filters back in the fiftes and yes I can see how a oiled air filter could cause problems with todays computer controled engines concidering all the sencors that could be afected by oil residue. If GM is saying this your can bet that the rest of the herd of car companys will not be far behind in saying this!

Well it looks like at least they will see if the Mass Airflow Sensor is contaminated with oil by taking MAF readings and comparing them to vehicles with a stock airbox. Not just saying 'woops, you have a K&N....warranty work denied'.

I see no problem with what GM is doing. Why should GM foot the bill if the mass airflow sensor gets contaminated by the oil in a aftermarket air filter.

These things are becoming a big headache for the dealers on the newer vehicles.

There have been problems with the use of oversize tires, modified exhaust systems and now the performance air filters.

According to person I know well who works (actually part owner of small dealership) in a GM dealer, warranty costs are a big thing with GM (and all others for that matter) and they are on a mission to reduce costs. The dealers have to send replace warranted parts back for inspection, if GM determines the parts was not a fault, the dealer gets back-billed for the parts and does not get paid for the work.

quote:

I see no problem with what GM is doing. Why should GM foot the bill if the mass airflow sensor gets contaminated by the oil in a aftermarket air filter.

That's fair, but don't the MAFs get dirty and changed out in cars without "oiled airfilters?" I had to change one in a car with a paper filter. Is this a real problem for GM vehicles or contrived? just like the 10W-40 oil scheme? Dealers, and manufacturers have lied so often for so long, consumers - like me - give them little credibility. Don't be a sheep.

jbas, the GM/10W40 thing was not a scheme. The 10W-40 was causing rings to stick in their(and everyones) diesel engines. The 10W-40 oils at that time were pretty lame, and they pulled it from the recommended list for both the diesel and gas engines. A very wise move IMHO.

GM is not voiding the warranty for the whole vehicle, just for the repairs needed that are directly related to the over-oiled filter.

Just as jthorner states, the MAGNUSON MOSS act does not apply to parts that do not meet manufacurer specifications. An oiled gauze filter is not the eqivilent of the paper element supplied by GM. It would apply to third party paper filters that were manufactured to GM specification.

Ed

Greetings Ed: We'll have to agree that we will disagree.

Because why did the 10W-40s (Havoline, QS, Exxon, et al) work in other cars? and are the 10W-40s OK now?, if so, why are they still prohibited in most applications by GM? (I think it only had/has to do with minute increases in mileage, just like Honda and Ford today with the insane 5W-20 grades). When GM's "warning" came out, I only remember a fringe group claiming some problem with the visc spread. Many other experts couldn't defend it with even a substantial number of real cases, only to say it was a possibility.

Regardless, I'm going to help the GM owners here. Here's the solution: when you good folks buy your new GM cars, replace the air filter immediatetely with an oiled air filter (i.e., if you want one). That would include Amsoil, K&N, and maybe a few others. KEEP the Mexican-made (?) high quality OEM filter in your trunk. Before you take your vehicle in for servicing at the GM dealer, replace the better after-market filter with that almost new OEM paper filter. If the mechanics inspect the air filter type, they won't be able to accuse the oiled filter of leaving dirt, oil, or anything else on the MAF, and thus get the manufacturer out of free warranty work.

Hey, and you can do the same thing with your 10W-40 synthetic multi-grade oil. Buy one quart of GM's "special" 10w-30 and use half in your lawnmover. Keep the remainder in your trunk. If you get questioned on the oil (a virtual impossibility, BTW), tell the mechanic to look at the oil container in the back...where he'll find the GM brand. He'll be sooooo happy. Warranties intact. Everbody's happy.

Regards, jbas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back