gm iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading 100's of uoa i have noticed all brands/weights of synthetic oils used in newer gm engines seem to give higher iron numbers. with the piston slap problems with many of these engines that alarms me. but with dino oils i get some varnish in engines. is there a synthetic blend that would keep the iron low and keep things clean? also it would be nice if it could stay in grade for 4k? maybe i am just a dreamer.
sleeping.gif

I just got a Blackstone UOA back and it showed 11ppm iron for a 5k interval. This is on a 04 Suburban with a 5.3. Oil was in from 5k to 10k on the unit. The oil? Schaeffer's #703, 10W30.

EDIT: Ending vis. was 61.6.

[ August 24, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: joatmon ]

not bad joatmon, were do i get it in western pa? also have you tried others in your 5.3 ? or maybe 5w30?

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:

also it would be nice if it could stay in grade for 4k? maybe i am just a dreamer.
sleeping.gif

4k and staying in grade is a piece of cake forsomeoftheblends
smile.gif
so stay in grade and EC can be had in one potion these days .

Quaker State 4x4
Castrol Syntec

Are a couple more that went beyond 4k and looked good in UOA's here . Might search Valvoline Durablend to see how it does cause I have forgot .

Blends are
cool.gif
for the price even if some are not
real synthetic blends they do offer a step up in performance for not much more bucks per oil change .

I just got back my Blackstone report that had 33 ppm or iron in 4500 miles. So, your number looks fantastic! It's all relative and without a trend hard to say there is any concern on your part.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:

also it would be nice if it could stay in grade for 4k? maybe i am just a dreamer.
sleeping.gif

4k and staying in grade is a piece of cake forsomeoftheblends
smile.gif
so stay in grade and EC can be had in one potion these days .

Quaker State 4x4
Castrol Syntec

Are a couple more that went beyond 4k and looked good in UOA's here . Might search Valvoline Durablend to see how it does cause I have forgot .

Blends are
cool.gif
for the price even if some are not
real synthetic blends they do offer a step up in performance for not much more bucks per oil change .

did you mean syntec blend or regulars syntec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back