GM Ecotec 1.4L - Wrong Oil Filter Installed by Dealer - Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also for using the VIN, it is literally a copy paste thing. I have dual monitors at work, my own that I supplied along with my PC, and I have the RO pulled up on one screen. Then I copy/paste into the parts catalog. For competitive make, meaning not Ford or Mazda, I use the Omnicraft catalog we have since we stock some of those oil filters, or else use OReilly's or Autozone. If it is something where we don't have it and don't need it right away I will used IMC which is owned by Parts Authority, since they have a wider selection of filter brands. This is especially helpful when people bring Euro cars to us for service.

Those pesky 10 mm drain plugs are state of the art in design, no?
There has to be a dollar sign behind the silly design changes.
Is there a licensing fee on a newly designed filter?
Toyota does it too. The difference is a cartridge vs canister filter.

Found a TSB here from GM on this issue:

Whats interesting is that the VIN # alone is not sufficient to verify which oil filter housing has been installed on the engine - it must be physically verified. This means that every time an oil change is done by a tech, they should be verifying which oil filter housing color/cap is on the vehicle. Recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I thought this was one of the reasons they use the VIN to determine parts?
True. Changes typically occur with a year model, they should not change midstream … we put 145k on the 1.4T and after realizing the AC Delco were just repackaged Hengst … bought a dozen on eBay …

I always snapped the filter in the cap … another problem when done incorrectly

Last edited:
Those pesky 10 mm drain plugs are state of the art in design, no?
There has to be a dollar sign behind the silly design changes.
Is there a licensing fee on a newly designed filter?
Toyota does it too. The difference is a cartridge vs canister filter.
I bought a long handled 6 point 10mm box end … in fact I do that for all drain bolts and keep them with other oil change related materials …

I doubt seriously that the dealer would now own up to being responsible for any engine damage since you have changed oil and filter since they did. Their response will be “you did an oil change yourself and now you are claiming we caused damage”! Sorry.

Curious to get more opinions on whether or not the engine sounds like it has a knock based on video I posted.

I received copies of the oil change receipts and the product # on the oil filters they’ve been using are for a Hengst filter housing which confirms they’ve been using the wrong oil filter.

As a side note, it’s beyond ridiculous that GM would have two different oil filter systems for the same engine. I know it’s because they had different suppliers depending on which county the engine was assembled but still...
I haven't worked on a GM in well over a decade, I see GM is still doing GM stuff.

Curious to get more opinions on whether or not the engine sounds like it has a knock based on video I posted.

I received copies of the oil change receipts and the product # on the oil filters they’ve been using are for a Hengst filter housing which confirms they’ve been using the wrong oil filter.

Take a long handled screwdriver (assuming you do not have a mechanics stethoscope) and put the blade to the oil pan and the handle to your ear. If its a rod you should hear it clearly.

It sounds like it is knocking to me, but it should be said that i'm not familiar with this engine.

I would probably have her call the dealer and explain she thinks it may be making an abnormal knocking noise and ask them if she should have it towed over or not...

Since its her car and she has the relationship with the dealer this is why i suggest she do it, it should become evident fairly quickly if this is going to go easy or hard., you have your evidence, i would not get confrontational until necessary...

Based on your video compared to my daughters 1.4 in her Cruze, you definitely have some extra knocking/rattling. The injector ticking is normal but not the other knocking. If I were you, I would accompany the vehicle owner to the dealer with the car and the receipts.

Take a long handled screwdriver (assuming you do not have a mechanics stethoscope) and put the blade to the oil pan and the handle to your ear. If its a rod you should hear it clearly.

It sounds like it is knocking to me, but it should be said that i'm not familiar with this engine.

I would probably have her call the dealer and explain she thinks it may be making an abnormal knocking noise and ask them if she should have it towed over or not...

Since its her car and she has the relationship with the dealer this is why i suggest she do it, it should become evident fairly quickly if this is going to go easy or hard., you have your evidence, i would not get confrontational until necessary...

Ok thank you for the great advice. I will provide update when she hears back from the dealer.

Thanks everyone for the help.

GM explaining the logic in using two different housing and filter combos on the same vehicle simultaneously that requires manual validation by the tech:
1610987855157.png

I guess it would be too logical to use incompatible filters when/if 2 different housing are used in manufacturing.

I'm not a fan of paper cartridge oil filters.

Maybe I'm old school but the old screw on can style filters seemed to be fine. Less room for error. On these newer designs, the plastic housings on the Chryslers are prone to leaking after a while.

Whilst I don’t don’t think it was wise … still no chance I would have put the wrong one in. I will check with resources in advance (CarbonSteel recently for Jeep) … and do a side by side especially on the first change.
That’s what led me to go direct with Hengst on the 1.4T … identical to Albert Champion !
Yet another reason for a DIY taking time vs the kid at QuickChumps lube shop …
At least the oil cooler did not crack in 145k … coolant inlet probably would have … but I changed it B4 …

I'm not a fan of paper cartridge oil filters.

Maybe I'm old school but the old screw on can style filters seemed to be fine. Less room for error. On these newer designs, the plastic housings on the Chryslers are prone to leaking after a while.
agree … fresh ADBV and PRV every time …

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would disagree with you.
Yes there is that and hopefully will serve to ensure the dealer makes good on the claim. My point was when was the discovery of engine noise “damage”? If after the oil was changed by the owner then this may be harder otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back