GM Ecotec 1.4L - Wrong Oil Filter Installed by Dealer - Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do GM parts and this is the crap that drives me up the wall. I try to pre-bill and mark all the oil filters for my lube tech to save time if I get swamped. Half the time I have to wait for him to tell me which filter he needs for anything with the LUV engine code.

We know the Hengst filter housings are much more common than UFI.

I wouldn’t be surprised if engines with the UFI cartridge filter canisters have been having higher failure rates than engines with the Hengst housing. GM would have no way of knowing since the VIN # does not decode which filter housing the vehicle has. My experience is just a sample of a much larger issue - dealers have absolutely no clue and are putting the wrong oil filters in peoples vehicles and these engines are running 1.4T engines on unfiltered oil for the OLM interval which in some cases could be 8k miles.

What I want to know is how are dealerships not aware of this issue. Does GM issue the TSB and wash their hands of it. Whose responsibility is it to educate the lube techs servicing the vehicles? Why do I feel like I care more than GM does? 😂

Also something with newer cars, is the cataloging isn't always correct. I have seen a bunch of times where the catalog does not match the build sheet, which doesn't match what was on the car when it was built.

As said before, there is no way to confirm if the wrong filter has been used more than once. Get an oil analysis done after this fresh oil has some miles on it, and see what the wear metals show.

If you want to investigate, go to this dealer or another dealer and get samples of the 2 types of filters that could be sold for this engine. Note the part numbers for each. Go to the suspect dealer and have them show you the records of what part numbers were shown in each oil change service. If you see the wrong filter show up, get those work orders printed off and put into a fire proof box.

Yes, there is a possibility that the part number shown on each work order is not reflecting the actual installed oil filter, but you have no way to know, unless the oil service tech admits that they just grab what looks close enough.

I do GM parts and this is the crap that drives me up the wall. I try to pre-bill and mark all the oil filters for my lube tech to save time if I get swamped. Half the time I have to wait for him to tell me which filter he needs for anything with the LUV engine code.
I try and do that on Saturdays since there is only one of us in parts. I will write the RO number on the filter or box with a Sharpie. We have one lube tech who gets so confused coming into parts with all the filters already on the counter.
It is somewhat easy with DealerTrack, just keep refreshing the RO list and then look up whatever they need. Other than that DealerTrack is absolute garbage.

We know the Hengst filter housings are much more common than UFI.

I wouldn’t be surprised if engines with the UFI cartridge filter canisters have been having higher failure rates than engines with the Hengst housing. GM would have no way of knowing since the VIN # does not decode which filter housing the vehicle has. My experience is just a sample of a much larger issue - dealers have absolutely no clue and are putting the wrong oil filters in peoples vehicles and these engines are running 1.4T engines on unfiltered oil for the OLM interval which in some cases could be 8k miles.

What I want to know is how are dealerships not aware of this issue. Does GM issue the TSB and wash their hands of it. Whose responsibility is it to educate the lube techs servicing the vehicles?
It’s because dealers can get away with it. Dealerships have a lot influence on the manufacturer so if an engine fails due to the wrong filter being used by the dealership, it’s pretty much guaranteed it will be covered by the manufacturer. The manufacturer is not going to revoke the dealer franchise license for a few failed engines due to dealer negligence. It’s sad but true.

A good example is transmission fluid. The majority of dealerships will use a third party ATF when performing fluid changes (BG fluid, multi vehicle fluids). However, if your transmission is being repaired due to a warranty claim it will most likely receive the OE approved fluid since it’s billed to the manufacturer.

As said before, there is no way to confirm if the wrong filter has been used more than once. Get an oil analysis done after this fresh oil has some miles on it, and see what the wear metals show.

If you want to investigate, go to this dealer or another dealer and get samples of the 2 types of filters that could be sold for this engine. Note the part numbers for each. Go to the suspect dealer and have them show you the records of what part numbers were shown in each oil change service. If you see the wrong filter show up, get those work orders printed off and put into a fire proof box.

Yes, there is a possibility that the part number shown on each work order is not reflecting the actual installed oil filter, but you have no way to know, unless the oil service tech admits that they just grab what looks close enough.
The oil change service receipts I have show the Hengst filter was used for all the oil changes done. Are you saying the dealer can deny they used the wrong filter despite what the receipt shows? What the heck is the point of a service receipt then.

The oil change service receipts I have show the Hengst filter was used for all the oil changes done. Are you saying the dealer can deny they used the wrong filter despite what the receipt shows? What the heck is the point of a service receipt then.
The dealer receipts show all one type of oil filter, but you found the wrong one on the car when doing your own oil change? have I got that correct? If that's what you found, the evidence is the old filter. Securing the chain of evidence is going to be problematic.

No one can speculate on how many times the wrong filter element has been installed if the oil tech (junior person almost always) is pulling the wrong part off the shelf and the service desk is just ASSUMING the correct part number was installed and entering that in the work order.

If the parts inventory has shown that in the last xx months 25 cars with your exact engine have been serviced for oil & filter, but 20 of the correct oil filter parts have turned in the dealer inventory....you can assume that at least 5 cars or 5 oil changes were made with the wrong filter.

The dealer receipts show all one type of oil filter, but you found the wrong one on the car when doing your own oil change? have I got that correct? If that's what you found, the evidence is the old filter. Securing the chain of evidence is going to be problematic.

No one can speculate on how many times the wrong filter element has been installed if the oil tech (junior person almost always) is pulling the wrong part off the shelf and the service desk is just ASSUMING the correct part number was installed and entering that in the work order.

If the parts inventory has shown that in the last xx months 25 cars with your exact engine have been serviced for oil & filter, but 20 of the correct oil filter parts have turned in the dealer inventory....you can assume that at least 5 cars or 5 oil changes were made with the wrong filter.
And that is assuming the part billed out and handed out was installed on the vehicle. I know I have techs coming in with 3 or 4 oil changes at a time. The good ones mark the filter or box, while others just grab them all and leave.

What I want to know is how are dealerships not aware of this issue. Does GM issue the TSB and wash their hands of it. Whose responsibility is it to educate the lube techs servicing the vehicles? Why do I feel like I care more than GM does? 😂

Pretty much, you'd have to look for the TSB.

Even the most up to date parts catalog can't break it down by VIN, there's just a note to check the cap. Our career oil changer is aware of the difference, but I would not be surprised at all if others have put the wrong filter in.

Most take the PF2257, I'll usually pull that first and tell the tech to come back if the filter looks different. I figured there was enough difference it couldn't be forced, but I guess not. I'm going to start asking the new guy to verify before I hand him anything.

What if the cap has been changed with the wrong one? I am curious about if that is possible now.

Even the most up to date parts catalog can't break it down by VIN, there's just a note to check the cap. Our career oil changer is aware of the difference, but I would not be surprised at all if others have put the wrong filter in.

Most take the PF2257, I'll usually pull that first and tell the tech to come back if the filter looks different. I figured there was enough difference it couldn't be forced, but I guess not. I'm going to start asking the new guy to verify before I hand him anything.

What if the cap has been changed with the wrong one? I am curious about if that is possible now.
Big gripe of mine with parts catalogs is TSBs aren't in them. Mazda has parts bulletins for some stuff which show in their catalog. So many times I look up a part and then hear "is that XXXX, because that is what the TSB says." At least with Ford I can get into PTS/OASIS and read any TSB and the shop manual. Mazda won't give their parts people access to service information, including what types of fluid to use and the capacity needed.

Big gripe of mine with parts catalogs is TSBs aren't in them. Mazda has parts bulletins for some stuff which show in their catalog. So many times I look up a part and then hear "is that XXXX, because that is what the TSB says." At least with Ford I can get into PTS/OASIS and read any TSB and the shop manual. Mazda won't give their parts people access to service information, including what types of fluid to use and the capacity needed.
So what you’re saying is that Autozone is more in the know then dealerships? 😂. Autozone website has the different filters listed and under notes near the product # it says Cartridge Housing, Hengst or Cartridge Housing, UFI.

I realize that people servicing the vehicles may not care as much as the DIY person maintaining their $25k vehicle, but this doesn’t make sense to me. Basically, the responsibility lies in the hands of the lube tech servicing the vehicle, who isn’t educated at all to the TSB, nor the parts department who looks it up in the parts catalog and the oil filters are only listed for Hengst. How do you run a business operating like this - unless no care is given and it’s only money in your pocket for ruined engines.

There seems to be a failure in intelligent decision making regarding the different housings and opportunity for mistakes, a washing of hands once a TSB is issued from GM and a lack of communication and training in the service departments.

Attachments

• 2FE419AB-B214-44AF-B876-289421683586.jpeg
    2FE419AB-B214-44AF-B876-289421683586.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1C0D977C-5BBB-4930-BA3A-71E1A9794D01.jpeg
    1C0D977C-5BBB-4930-BA3A-71E1A9794D01.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

The only issued I’d say is if the tech pulls a Hengst filter out of a UFI cartridge then to him the Hengst filter would be the right one. The issue is both filters fit just fine and nobody would be the wiser. If the last guy installed a Hengst and you go off the product # of the filter you pulled, all it takes is the first person to put the wrong filter in and then it’s game over. If I were the oil change tech doing these I would have no clue I’m making a mistake - there’s no forcing of the filter or odd maneuvering - it fits like a glove. Hence the realization that this is just an all around bonehead move on GMs part. The filter cap should somehow be designed to reject the wrong filter so this doesn’t happen. I realize that would add 25cents per vehicle which probably wouldn’t be acceptable, but a new engine will pay for a lot of 25cent redesigned caps.

Im honestly surprised GM does not have any direct communication with dealer service supervisors. There’s no mass email chain where GM can copy all service supervisors notifying them of a TSB? The fact there’s a TSB shows GM knows the mistake is widespread. Do all car manufacturers operate similarly?

I’m not blaming the dealership or techs in this matter. I think the mess was all created when GM used two suppliers without stopping to think of the ramifications. Someone who knows how dealer service departments operate AND that the VIN isn’t specific enough to tell AND the engine damage that can occur if wrong filter is installed would have said this was a stupid move. Even stupider is the fact that this has been going on for a few years now.

Failed engines in warranty are a loss to the manufacturer and failed engines out of warranty are a loss to the dealer since a burned owner won’t return. This is bad business for both GM and the dealerships. How many engines will fail in or out of warranty?

Last edited:
While I agree it is kind of a bone head move on GMs part, ultimately it is on the tech and the parts guy to get this right.

I have no doubt that the GM parts catalog makes a distinction between these two filters and notes UFI housing and Hengst housing, It probably even says the UFI housing is brown and the Hengst housing is black.

Doesn't the Pentastar have a similar issue with a mid year break where one filter has the bypass built in and one does not, as well as one of the Mercedes engines having a similar issue as well.

So hows it going with the dealer?

Edit: BTW seems you aren't the only one:

Reactions: 4WD
While I agree it is kind of a bone head move on GMs part, ultimately it is on the tech and the parts guy to get this right.

I have no doubt that the GM parts catalog makes a distinction between these two filters and notes UFI housing and Hengst housing, It probably even says the UFI housing is brown and the Hengst housing is black.

Doesn't the Pentastar have a similar issue with a mid year break where one filter has the bypass built in and one does not, as well as one of the Mercedes engines having a similar issue as well.

Ok, that makes more sense to me.

I have not contacted GM or the dealer yet. My fiancé is in healthcare essential field and needs her vehicle for work and she’s been working long hours. She is planning on taking the vehicle in in the next week or so. It’s technically still her vehicle since we are not married yet, so she will be the primary one to raise the issue to the dealer. I will however go with her to the dealer and handle most of the subsequent discussions, etc to help her as she does not know much about vehicles. I want her to be the primary face of the complaint since her family has purchased many vehicles from this dealer over the years and has always serviced their vehicles here.

Im strongly considering contacting GM prior to taking it into the dealer to open a case number.

Last edited:
Odds are once the first tech did not match the factory filter … other techs/parts guys started “matching” the wrong used filter … wash, rinse, repeat …

Yes, as I noted earlier on I believe, FCA had a changeover from one design to another at one point, but that's quite different from offering two designs simultaneously like GM has done here, which seems like a recipe for getting it screwed up.

I don't know what FCA (now Stellantis) policy is company-wide but I know my local dealer pods the cars when they arrive, which gives them all TSB, recall and service information from WiTech/WiAdvisor so that notes can be made for the tech depending on what is being performed.

GM really dropped the ball on this one. The oil filter housing should have been designed so that it won’t accept the other filter design. I’m mad that GM did this and I don’t even own one of these engines!

To avoid this headache in the future I would swap out the UFI oil filter housing and install the Hengst. But that’s just me. It sounds like there are more Hengst designs in operation and the likelihood of getting the correct filter installed is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back