GM dealer filled oil with conventional 5W30 vs synthetic, should i worry?

Rather than go through the hassle of fighting with them, as long as I paid for the conventional oil, I'd shorten the OCI. Then add it to the long list of reasons for why I do my own work, after kicking myself for taking it to the dealer.
The inventor of the GM OLM was on these boards fifteen or more years ago. Knowledgeable but he fought with Amsoil people got ticked off and left after a few weeks. I believe his thesis was that the OLM was set for conventional oil (at that time pre Dexos) and that oil quality (within limits obviously, no Crisco) made little if any difference, hence the Amsoil distributor battles.

thanks for the replies! i guess its gonna stay in

any ideas on waht they used? receipt says reg 5w30 i saw it come out of the pump thing rather then jugs

I know when my brother had his 08’ GMC YAUKON HYBRID with 6.0 at dealer for recall, they did oil change, and they were bright enough to see “DEXOS” on the cap. Your dealer should have used synthetic as we do on our Cadillacs at work.

The inventor of the GM OLM was on these boards fifteen or more years ago. Knowledgeable but he fought with Amsoil people got ticked off and left after a few weeks. I believe his thesis was that the OLM was set for conventional oil (at that time pre Dexos) and that oil quality (within limits obviously, no Crisco) made little if any difference, hence the Amsoil distributor battles.

that would be a fun and maybe even informative thread to read. More fun I assume ... lol

Maybe the "inventor" is still a member unbeknownst to @kschachn! :ROFLMAO:
Let's round up Amsoil bashers. :unsure:

Last edited:
I recall that. My comments really had nothing to do with Amsoil. My points were I'd shorten my OCI, and chalk one up to why I still should do my own work. As some people here already know I'm not a fan of OLMs and ignore them. Flame suit on.

Call the dealer, or stop by if it convenient, and ask them specifically what kind of oil came out of that bulk container. Then you will know for sure.
Like all the others, I wouldn't worry, just run a shorter OLM>

Were you planning on plugging in a block heater when it’s -40 ? If so, no big deal. 5w30 conventional is fine at -30 F and no block heater. At -40, with no block heater, it will start but you’ll feel sorry for your engine. For the armchair cold weather experts you really need to sit in a vehicle and turn the key when it’s minus 40.

Edmonton, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Inuvik, Tuktoyaktuk.

Last edited:
Bobinsky? I was under the impression he got banned. He was here more than a few weeks, if I recall. Enjoyed his posts- were very informative, if controversial to some ppl here. You could find him on the Suzuki motorcycle forum. Knew his stuff there, too

Bobinsky? I was under the impression he got banned. He was here more than a few weeks, if I recall. Enjoyed his posts- were very informative, if controversial to some ppl here. You could find him on the Suzuki motorcycle forum. Knew his stuff there, too
Tried to search for member Bobinsky and couldn't find him. Would like to revisit some of his posts.

According to the Mobil oil guide, your Escalade does NOT spec a synthetic oil. It calls for 5w30 or 0w30 viscosity that meets GM6094 specification.
2007 Excalade 6.2 oils from Mobil.com
Edit: all of the Mobil recommendations are either synthetics or syn blends. I don't think your GM dealer put a true conventional oil in your engine.

Tried to search for member Bobinsky and couldn't find him. Would like to revisit some of his posts.
Good luck with that. Banned and so were his posts. According to some ppl, BITOG appears to enjoy a reputation for banning.

Yes, they were good posts. I understood he was involved with drivetrain development at GM. He appeared to work on Cadillac high performance engines and the OLM. He said synthetic oils were unnecessary unless engine oil temp exceeded 310F; but that was 15 years ago, as you say. That caused an uproar on this forum. Alot has changed since then with engines and lube requirements and his opinion is outdated.

thanks for the replies! i guess its gonna stay in

any ideas on waht they used? receipt says reg 5w30 i saw it come out of the pump thing rather then jugs
My son worked at Jiffy Lube during HS years. Most oil change places use bulk oil from 55 gal drums and it's conventional oil. A lot of folks want cheapest oil change....

Your Escalade came factory filled with Mobil 1 5W/30 and requires atleast a DEXOS certified motor oil. If they used a conventional NON DEXOS oil the world is not going to end and one time won't hurt. I would probably, as mentioned above, run a shorter interval then normal.

update**

I still kept the reg 5w30 in, whatever it is. however I still have side thoughts or am comtemplating changing since its about to get very cold as in -25 celcius regularly and ill only be plugging in block heater sometimes. i just keep seeing those cold flow videos between syn and conventional and kinda scares me. or am i honestly over thinkin?

thx

Back