GM cutting Powertrain warranty for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gotta havit new car market in booming right now. Other companies, apparently have more confidence in their products.

Last edited:
Who else has 100K? This can be costly. I could have used such a thing on my recent, wonderful Japanese cars: the '09 forester and the '12 Honda and the '14 Nissan that had defective engines. Along with the Ford truck.

They must know that Gasahol is killing engines.

I bet I wouldn't need it on a Cavalier.

I guess it will help sell 2015 models. I don't think the perceived quality leaders ever offered more than a 60k powertrain warranty and for years it was less, so I don't think it will matter to many buyers.

This doesn't sound like they have confidence in their products as they age. I've liked and driven Chevys for 31 years, but nothing they currently make appeals to me. The new Colorado looked decent, until I priced out one out. This DI, VVT, AFM, and 8 speed + transmissions sounds like trouble when they get older all for slightly better fuel economy. It's too bad, but my favorite GM's were always the older Chevys (meaning pre-2002).

I will probably go Toyota next time anyway because their technology seems to be a little dated, but they do have the durability down. Maybe that is the secret.

As one of the readers of the Yahoo article pointed out, GM probably wants to sell more extended warranties this way. This change is sort of a price increase then. Oh and fewer maintenance visits will be allowed too:

"The Detroit automaker also will scale back its offer of two years of free maintenance, including oil changes and tire rotations, on most new Chevy, GMC and Buick vehicles, the publication said. The brands will reduce the number of free service visits to two, from four, starting with 2016 models."

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Who else has 100K? This can be costly. I could have used such a thing on my recent, wonderful Japanese cars: the '09 forester and the '12 Honda and the '14 Nissan that had defective engines. Along with the Ford truck.

You sure 'nuff have "bad luck" with engines.

Well that"s a bummer but then again most people would never drive 20,000 miles a year anyway to hit that 100,000 in the allotted time. 60,000 is right at the average of 12,000 miles a year over the five year time limit.

Also it looks like only GMC and Chevy so the thread title is a little misleading. Buick and Cadillac are apparently staying the same?

Last edited:
New tech = shorter warranty. Welcome to the change. This is just one reason I stuck to proven tech.

$50k for shorter warranty, no thanks.

Glad I had a 100k warranty on my HHR. At 61k miles it died....

Last edited:
How many people really keep a new vehicle 100K ??
I guess we'd need to contact one of their bean counters to get an answer but it seems it would be sold long before it gets to 100K and I'm pretty sure the warranty isn't transferable.

IMHO Seems like it would be better for sales compared to how few might actually take advantage of it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

You've had 3 new cars with defective engines? What are the odds of that? Wherever I bought gasoline, I'd try someplace else.

When times get bad, automakers aften bump up their warranties instead of cutting prices to increase demand. It puts the financial burden on the company years down the road when they are back in good business. I think they're simply scaling the warranty back to normal, pre-depression levels, in preparation for the next downturn.

110 or 120k for the new Camry. Cousing picked one up a month ago. A Chevy will lose money in repairs under warranty lol. A friend of mine head his truck in every month for a new problem. Went through more oil than a two stroke lol.

Not good for marketing saying that you are cutting way back on the warranty and any maintenance deals.

Sounds like a cheap takeaway while still charging you top dollar for the vehicle.

But...if the company survey IS true...then people will get what they ask for.

Nobody can accuse Americans of being overly bright.

To me it says that they are having unacceptable levels of failures between 60k and 100k, and can no longer spec out to 100k.

I wonder if Direct Injection is part of the reason for failures in the 60k to 100k range?

Ford, Toyota, Honda are all 5yr/60k so they're in line with other top sellers. I don't think this will have any effect on their sales

Fiat Chrysler is 5yr/100k and I still wouldn't buy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back