GM cutting Powertrain warranty for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think they had a 100K warranty anyway? I thought it was a 3yr/50K. I thought Kia and Hyundai were the only ones with the really long warranty.

I really doubt very many people buy a vehicle based on what the warranty is anyway.

I agree that people probably don't drive 100k in 5 years but still there is a perception in your mind when you are purchasing that a company will stand by their product for 100k even if you will never use it. And if people don't use the warranty the added cost should be small.

Even if the surveys say it wasn't why people purchase the vehicle, it must play a small part even if more subliminal message than anything.

I know some people that chose a Chevy truck vs the Ford complaining that Ford didn't offer the 100k warranty. Rational or not it happens.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I didn't think they had a 100K warranty anyway? I thought it was a 3yr/50K. I thought Kia and Hyundai were the only ones with the really long warranty.

I really doubt very many people buy a vehicle based on what the warranty is anyway.

This is powertrain warranty. 5 yr/100k powertrain and 3yr/36k bumper to bumper has been standard GM warranty:
http://www.gm.com/toolbar/faqs/warranty.html

GM is just being realistic. They know their products and this is their answer.

Instead of increasing profits by selling more vehicles maybe they want to increase profits by increasing the margin on each vehicle they sell.

This might be a response to the expense of recalls and current warranty expenses.

GM like other corporations is in the business of making profits. The fact that they sell automobiles and trucks is of little interest to shareholders. The individuals making the largest investments in the company might not be able to identify more than one or two of the vehicles produced by GM and could care less where they are made.

It wouldn't effect me at all since i only drive about 7000 miles a year. I'd take a 10 year 50,000 mi warranty over a 5 year 100,00 mile warranty any day (if one was available).

the actuaries have spoken loudly, now expect a reduction on all those DI and turbocharged engines very soon too.

Only logical explanation is that either GM is already paying too much on the warranty repairs between 60K-100K or expecting to pay too much in the future. Neither of these factors would have positive impact on the new car sales.

I'll make it simple....called people taking advantage. I've personally already seen it twice..Even though they are cutting back, they will still look at issues past that and may still approve them on a case by case basis.

For the most part, GM engines are quite good anyways. And the fact that they must be faster/better on any recall/issues should help them there....

Not saying GM does not have issues (only have to look at my Cobalt for that), but I've noticed that they are much better than they ever have been....

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the actuaries have spoken loudly, now expect a reduction on all those DI and turbocharged engines very soon too.

So, I'm guessing all of those DI engines working just fine or going to blow up soon?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Ford, Toyota, Honda are all 5yr/60k so they're in line with other top sellers. I don't think this will have any effect on their sales

Fiat Chrysler is 5yr/100k and I still wouldn't buy one...

+1

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Ford, Toyota, Honda are all 5yr/60k so they're in line with other top sellers. I don't think this will have any effect on their sales

+1

Agreed!
They also have a better track record. in the minds of millions (justifiably) GM is still the GM of the 90's.

Was a weird warranty anyway since most people drive 10-12K per year. That means the average has hit the limit at 5 years anyway or ~ 50-60,000. Just another GM PR special. Ed

I think warranties are a scam anyways seeing how they can easily get voided at the dealer's convenience.

Oh you didn't do x at y miles.. your warranty is voided. I am sure most people would give up and just pay for the service.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

Agreed!

My parents Rubicon has a lifetime power train warranty even if it is wheeled. We dont have receipts for the oil changes so I am sure if the dealer really wanted to, they could void the warranty. Heaven forbid they find out it was ran on M1 80% of its life!
crackmeup2.gif

Dont even get me started on the 1 quart every 1000 miles rate of consumption is normal either. This makes me want to never buy another Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The gotta havit new car market in booming right now. Other companies, apparently have more confidence in their products.

Really? Who? Not Honda, not Toyota, not Mazda, not Ford, not Subaru, not Nissan.... Only the "lesser quality" brands: Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge....

My 84 Audi had a 2year/24K warranty. They would have been out of their minds to warranty that car for 1 minute longer or 1 mile more than that.

This change is warranty must be GM's response into staying in business.

Winding back the warranty doesn't inspire confidence. For comparative purposes, GM (Holden) warranty in Australia is 3yr/100,000km. Ford, Chrysler, Fiat, Honda, Jag, Jeep, Land Rover, Nissan, Peugeot, Suzuki and Toyota are the same.

Audi, BMW, Mazda and Mercedes, Volvo and VW are 3yr/unlimited km.

Lexus is 4yr/100,000km.

Mitsubishi is 5yr/130,000km. (They used to extend the powertrain warranty to 10 years for the original owner only, but have since dropped that I believe).

Hyundai and Renault are 5yr/unlimited km.

Kia is the best with 7yr/unlimited km.

(Info from March 2015 edition of Wheels magazine).

I've used that 100k warranty on 3 occasions past 60k miles. 78k, ~82k, and ~98k miles. Yeah, I drive a lot.

It was nice having that warranty while it lasted. It saved me a chunk of change and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back