Ford's 60K Powertrain Is Going To Cost You !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Letter_K
I had a Ford once...

Me too...a 2004 Expedition. Transmission went at 27K when the truck was 18 months old, stranding my family and I on vacation 400 miles from home.

The truck had been bought new. Yes, it was obviously covered by warranty, but this was beyond inexcusable in my book. No more Fords for me. Ever.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
When you see 8 Ford's lined up at the same time with the same problem, report back.

I agree with Johnny.. while the transmissions may be the same they don't have the same chassis and engine. Personally I'm not surprised to hear of it from GM. There's only a couple GM's in our family and don't see it changing.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop

I didn't know GM and Ford ever worked on anything together. Maybe they should have consulted Honda for transmission advice.

LOL like the trannys they were using in the V6 Accords and Odyssey mini vans? I think a part of the problem is the service intervals on these transmissions. What is the fluid change recommendation, is it filled for life? Or 120,000 miles like my Jeep? LOL another joke if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
35.gif

Ford's answer to flimsy taurus trannies was to cut most of the engine power mid shifts. Wonder if they have or will come out with a PCM recalibration to slow their cars down...

Most manufacturers now cut power during auto transmission shifts. Makes them much smoother, and probably easier on the transmission.

But, you are absolutely right about those flimsy Taurus automatics. I had a 1991 model, bought new, with the 3.0 liter V-6. They did extend the warranty, but this was not my commuter car, so it only had 62,000 miles on it when it failed completely in 1999. I knew it was a bad transmission,so I had been having it serviced yearly, regardless of the miles. One year it was changed with only 3200 miles on the old fluid. Frequent, even unreasonably frequent, service did not make any difference. It still failed at 62,000 miles and Ford would not help me any.

My latest Ford purchases were: an 86 Ford Thunderbird, an 86 Ford Ranger, that 91 Ford Taurus, and a 95 Ford Thunderbird. I haven't owned a Ford since 1999. The 86 Ranger transmission went out at 49,000 miles, by the way.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
'With the government backing GM can afford the 100K powertrain warranty.'

looks like someone missed the IPO......GM hasn't had govmt backing for like two months

WRONG. The Government is still in the hole 26 billion at GMs trading price, which is dropping like a Libyan bomb.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/25/treasury-aims-to-sell-gm-shares-early/

The poor old tax payer will only be considered payed back by some smoke and mirrors government accounting method. Awful.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

looks like someone missed the IPO......GM hasn't had govmt backing for like two months

WRONG. The Government is still in the hole 26 billion at GMs trading price, which is dropping like a Libyan bomb.

The poor old tax payer will only be considered payed back by some smoke and mirrors government accounting method. Awful.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
When you see 8 Ford's lined up at the same time with the same problem, report back.

Lined up like the 40 odd Windstars and Freestars in behind my local Ford dealer's building?

I know, it's not the same...

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
As a Ford guy I object to them collaborating with GM on anything. Or Chrysler for that matter.

+1 Which appears to be a mistake in this instance.

WRONG. The government would stand to lose about 8-9 billion if they sold at todays price. Far less than the billions the Government would have assumed in retiree health/pension benefits if GM had been allowed to fold.

The 26 billion you quote is what is still owed, subtract from that todays value of the remaining 33% equity stake the government still holds. And actually the 26 billion is closer to 24.5 billion but hey, it's only AutoBlog quoting the News, one step up from the broken clock over at TTAC.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
...Bro. in' law's F150 tranny failed at 3000 miles out of powertrain/less than 3 years old. Ford would not kick in one dime.

Originally Posted By: miraCRD
...Transmission went at 27K when the truck was 18 months old...

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
...It still failed at 62,000 miles and Ford would not help me any.

...The 86 Ranger transmission went out at 49,000 miles, by the way.

Gee...nice pattern here, huh? And Honda gets all the grief about lousy transmissions? Not that it isn't also deserved though.

Why have we taken only rearward steps from the "high point" in bulletproof trannys like the Chrysler 727 and the GM TH350?

No, aside from the 1.5 billion discrepency, the article is correct.

Your statement, however is, in your words WRONG. The remaining debt if the Feds sold the stock at todays price is about 8-9 billion. The article you linked even says 10 billion. But I guess that number doesn't carry the same drama that 26 billion does.

The MKZ/Fusion Sport use the Aisin 6 spd. Is this what the Lambdas use? Either way, I'm not concerned. I'll never reach near 100K in 5 years. I'm more worried about "time" interval. Mine has 6 yr warranty.

Perhaps Ford will extend the warranty like Nissan did on the CVT. We got a letter on oilBabe's Altima that the warranty on her CVT was extended to 100K

If it's really a problem, Ford should step up and do something similar for the transmission.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Either way, I'm not concerned. I'll never reach near 100K in 5 years. I'm more worried about "time" interval. Mine has 6 yr warranty.

The 5/100k mile powertrain warranties also puzzle me. Obviously just a sales tool, most people won't be able to take advantage of the miles during that duration. At the same time, though, I think the 12,000 miles/year is a bit outdated. I think they should assume 15,000 miles/year. So a 5 year powertrain warranty would be 75,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K

I had a Ford once...A 2000 Ford Focus. A nice car when it worked, but everything that could go wrong, went wrong except for the engine and transmission. Ford is one the the major manufacturers that doesn't participate in the problem resolution management groups.

I also owned a 2000 Ford Focus SE that I bought new. It was also a great call when it wasn't being fixed or at the dealer for a (what felt like monthly) recall. It was actually at the dealer for the first month of my ownership because the airbag light came on as I was driving home after I bought it and the replacement airbag was back ordered.

I will never again buy a first year production vehicle. I knew better at the time but thought that the kinks were worked out since the model had been sold in Europe for several years.

My (former) corporate car was a Toyota Prius and I had similar problems with it, even though it was a supposedly reliable car.

I'd be reluctant to buy a car from either manufacturer for those reasons. I think I'm the opposite of most posters here -- I've had bad luck with Ford and Toyota but overall good luck with Chrysler and GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back