Ford FWD 3.5L/3.7L Water Pump

Are those transverse or North-South applications? That is, are you seeing 30K hours out of the ones with the internal water pumps?

those are transverse engines with internal pumps. They are explorers.

keep in mind the water pump has been replaced at least 2-3 times

Last edited:
I have a 3.5 in my Edge and at the current time, I'm running 5W-20 Valvoline maxlife which is a synthetic blend, for the durability of this engine should I continue running this or should I upgrade to a synthetic oil? I'm waiting for an oil analysis to come back on this oil..

I have a 3.5 in my Edge and at the current time, I'm running 5W-20 Valvoline maxlife which is a synthetic blend, for the durability of this engine should I continue running this or should I upgrade to a synthetic oil? I'm waiting for an oil analysis to come back on this oil..
Switch to an ILSAC GL-6 oil, which is probably going to be synthetic. The standard is meant to extend timing chain life. The Kirkland Signature oil from Costco and the Pennzoil Platinum Plus are both high quality oils that meet this standard at a very low cost.

Switch to an ILSAC GL-6 oil, which is probably going to be synthetic. The standard is meant to extend timing chain life. The Kirkland Signature oil from Costco and the Pennzoil Platinum Plus are both high quality oils that meet this standard at a very low cost.
I believe you mean GF-6, and another low cost option is Walmart Supertech. Even their conventional oil carries API GF-6A.

Back