GM 3.6L DI Traverse 3rd consecutive UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced this August 13 oil again with Q Horsepower and another PF48. So all key components are consistent. This OCI will now go for 5k miles or 6 months...well into a Canadian winter.

Blackstone Labs Test results:

May 17/09 (June 5/09) August 13/09

Oil.............FF (QH 5W-30) QH 5W-30
Filter..........OEM PF48 (new PF48) new PF48
Total Miles.....561 miles (1532 miles) 4873 miles
Miles on oil....561 miles (971 miles) 3341 miles
Make up oil.....0 (0) 0

Aluminum.......8 (7) 8
Chromium.......1 (1) 1
Iron...........26 (14) 33
Copper.........42 (23) 24
Lead............1 (1) 1
Tin.............0 (2) 1
Moly............329 (92) 56
Nickel..........0 (0) 0
Manganese.......9 (3) 4
Silver..........0 (0) 0
Titanium........0 (0) 0
Potassium.......8 (3) 3
Boron...........53 (10) 4
Silicon.........101 (31) 18
Sodium..........8 (2) 2
Calcium.........1777 (2216) 2290
Magnesium.......8 (9) 11
Phosphorus......689 (647) 663
Zinc............903 (830) 923
Barium..........1 (0) 0

Flashpoint F....390 (365) 395
Fuel............ Antifreeze.......0.0 (0.0) (0.0)
Water............0.0 (0.0) (0.0)
Insoluables......0.3 (0.3) (0.3)
SUS [email protected] (56.5) (56.7)
cST [email protected] (9.2) (9.28)

Interesting. I'm still running RLI's 5w-30 with a Mann oil filter. I'm due for an oil change at 4k and will pull a sample tomorrow when I change it. Since my oil has not been able to go more than 4k it will be interesting to see what it is like this time around with 40k miles on the engine. It has got to be broken in by now. If this analysis shows that that oil is shot. I'm just going to go with regular oil and change at 3k. I can't afford to keep this up. I was hoping to get at least 10k oil changes out of it. Those on the Acadia forum that are running 10k oil changes hopefully are not destroying their engines.

Rouge,
Thank you for posting this. I purchased an 09 Outook with the same DI 3.6L. Purchased 6/30/09 and I only have
1,500 miles on the FF. I have been searching every thread to figure out what oil to use. When doing so, I found that DI engines have issues with deposits on the intake valves and are hard on the oil. From what I found, It it best to use an oil with a low NOACK value to help keep the valve deposits down.

Iam going to change the FF this weekened as was going to use PP 5w30 but apparently Valvoline synthetic has a much lower NOACK value and only cost $3.00 more per 5-quart jug than PP.

I will also be using FP+ with every tank of gas.

Thanks for the post

Thanks for this report.

Will be interesting to see the wear numbers over time.

While numbers are high it is of course breaking in. However you can already see a drop from the initial 2 runs.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Thanks for this report.

Will be interesting to see the wear numbers over time.

My pleasure ZZman and Ross. Rat has also posted UOAs which I appreciated and I am hoping that others with this DI engine will in turn consider doing UOAs.

My plan is to do 2 more consecutive analyses and thats it... hopefully.

I will run this third fill of QH with again the AC Delco filter till January (5 months). So that OCI will have summer weather then cold winter weather
08.gif
. I will dump that oil in January, do a UOA and replace it with maybe GC or RLI 0W30 or some other 0W30 in my stash and run it to June (again 5 months with again similar conditions i.e winter weather then ending with spring and summer temperatures). I will do a UOA on the GC and then compare the #s on these two consecutive, very similiar OCIs. May the best oil win
56.gif

What do you think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
While numbers are high it is of course breaking in. However you can already see a drop from the initial 2 runs.

I think the numbers on these consecutive UOAs are trending as expected.

This third OCI was more than triple the mileage of the previous one but still copper and aluminium were almost identical and silicon was much less. It is only iron that is noticeably higher but for sure not triple as high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
Flashpoint is low & was really low last time. Is the sampling consistent? Any adds?

Ben,

you are correct to notice that flashpoint was much lower in the previous analysis. But this most recent one is much closer to the VOA flashpoint # which is 400.

No adds. Both times sampled after a hwy run.

Interesting, my wife has an 09 Acadia. I changed with YB Pennzoil at 1k and 3k then put PP in at 5k, planning to run regular 5k intervals since the DI engines may be hard on oil. It looks like the oil life monitor would have you go 10k on conventional.

I would not go by the OLM on these 3.6L engines from GM. Those individuals that are running 10k oil changes hopefully are not destroying their engines. But then they probably will not keep it long enough to find out. I sent in another sample and hope to find out about it by the first of next week.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Interesting. I'm still running RLI's 5w-30 with a Mann oil filter. I'm due for an oil change at 4k and will pull a sample tomorrow when I change it. Since my oil has not been able to go more than 4k it will be interesting to see what it is like this time around with 40k miles on the engine. It has got to be broken in by now. If this analysis shows that that oil is shot. I'm just going to go with regular oil and change at 3k. I can't afford to keep this up. I was hoping to get at least 10k oil changes out of it. Those on the Acadia forum that are running 10k oil changes hopefully are not destroying their engines.

You're the person with the high lead on your Acadia with RLI, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back