Gladiator 2020 3.6 Pentastar (Import from US to Germany) Oils and Advice

I kinda only know Spartacus 1960 and Gladiator from 2000? I did enjoy them. Why?😋

I think its a Pop Culture joke based on the Comedy movie Airplane "Billy do you like movies about Gladiators".

If you really wanted to use VW508, Ravenol VSE is officially approved. Posters are correct, it is a strong approval, either of the other two are fine too I would say.

Kira has good points about oil filter.

Are unlikely to go wrong following Trav's advice too, I'd weigh his thoughts heavily...

Welcome to BITOG.

Welcome to BITOG.
Thank you :)
Trav's advice too, I'd weigh his thoughts heavily...
I will defnitely think carefully on all the advice, and see what I can make happen and through who I do what in the Munich area to get records of what is done on the vehicle.
So far the elite treatment on rust protection:p
Pop Culture joke based on the Comedy movie Airplane "Billy do you like movies about Gladiators".
You see, Carly would have gotten that 😋 I still haven't seen Airplane.

I would dig picking one of their brains.
Just to see what happened with the specs post 2016 and why in some countries it was recommending 5w20/30 and now universally 0w20
I've not seen a spec for this PUG version of the Pentastar anywhere in the world recommending anything but 0w20. It was designed with 0w20 in mind and they did all of its durability testing with it. It met all FCA criteria on that oil, hot, cold, and everywhere in between.

Seems I can order it online fairly easily. https://www.motoroel100.de/VW-0W-30-Longlife-III-FE-VW-50400-50700-5L
How come, do you think it is really high grade?

That's most probably Shell Heliy Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 = Shell Heliy Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 = Pennzoil Ultra Euro LX 0W-30, so a very good quality GTL based ACEA C3 oil. At that price it's a steal.
Nothing wrong with using VW 508 00/509 00 either, e.g. M1 ESP X2 0W-20; Shell Heliy Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-20 or Ravenol VFE 0W-20, however I'd say Ravenol DFE 0W-20 is similar (perhaps w/ different add pack, sans the VW approval). Pourpoint of -63°C, flashpoint of 238°C and Noack of 7,6 % are hard to beat.
Don't overthink, just change oil once now and then every 10.000 to 15.000 km or annually.

I will work through the list later in more details and report back.
Headlights are LED so if they break it will be fun and expensive.
I have a torque wrench on standby just for that sorta thing.
As far as trans fluids go ATF etc. I have ordered the Mopar recommended.
We can talk to ZF in Friedrichshafen directly easily as they are partly responsible for the trans and can also do all maintenance on it well.
We have the high output alternator because start and stop, easy to replace however.
Reverse camera works well with the reverse lights, one of the outer is not working currently and Tazer (programming tool) disables the lights for the number plate to avoid the reflection.
We have a full sized spare on original rim, will do 5 tire rotation at 3500 miles.
Battery I already have a headache with the aux/ start stop battery. Continuously states charging. Start stop is disabled through Tazer
We have trailer hitch and steel bumper, adding a bullbar is a pain in Germany
I thought ZF8 in Pentastar is Chrysler one built under license? So how much ZF is responsible?

I thought ZF8 in Pentastar is Chrysler one built under license? So how much ZF is responsible?
Maybe responsible is a poor word choice. ZF designed and built the 8 speed as well for many other vehicles. They also have top of the line facility and have the tools and knowledge as well as parts to do any repairs, maintenace like flushes and have the atf that it was specifically designed for.

Chrysler Group LLC initially received the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF had set up a new transmission production plant in Gray Court, South Carolina.[7] ZF Friedrichshafen and Chrysler Group have reached a supply and license agreement for the 8HP
-wikipedia
I don't like quoting them but for speeds sake it will do

They make some 8HP70/8HP75 (used on the 5.7 and 6.4 V8’s) transmissions and buy the rest from ZF. Chrysler makes their own 845RE/850RE 8 speeds for the V6, which from what I’ve read are incredibly similar too but not really interchangeable with their ZF 8HP45/8HP50 counterparts as the Chrysler units have extra clutches and friction plates. They’re machined and assembled in their Kokomo, Indiana plant.

They make some 8HP70/8HP75 (used on the 5.7 and 6.4 V8’s) transmissions and buy the rest from ZF. Chrysler makes their own 845RE/850RE 8 speeds for the V6, which from what I’ve read are incredibly similar too but not really interchangeable with their ZF 8HP45/8HP50 counterparts as the Chrysler units have extra clutches and friction plates. They’re machined and assembled in their Kokomo, Indiana plant.
Very good to know.

I did talk to the ZF rep here and they feel comfortable working and overhauling it.
If anyone wants me to ask them specifically we do drive by their headquarter a few times a year when we meet friends up north

Very good to know.

I did talk to the ZF rep here and they feel comfortable working and overhauling it.
If anyone wants me to ask them specifically we do drive by their headquarter a few times a year when we meet friends up north
I’d be interested in knowing the actual differences between the Chrysler and ZF units if they’ll divulge that or if they’re actually the same. Either way both the v6 and v8 versions are the best transmissions I’ve ever had the pleasure of driving!

Maybe responsible is a poor word choice. ZF designed and built the 8 speed as well for many other vehicles. They also have top of the line facility and have the tools and knowledge as well as parts to do any repairs, maintenace like flushes and have the atf that it was specifically designed for.

Chrysler Group LLC initially received the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF had set up a new transmission production plant in Gray Court, South Carolina.[7] ZF Friedrichshafen and Chrysler Group have reached a supply and license agreement for the 8HP
-wikipedia
I don't like quoting them but for speeds sake it will do
Well, yeah it is probably most widely used transmission. They always start with BMW their transmissions.
I think reason why they started in South Carolina is primarily bcs. BMW plant in Spartanburg.

I've not seen a spec for this PUG version of the Pentastar anywhere in the world recommending anything but 0w20. It was designed with 0w20 in mind and they did all of its durability testing with it. It met all FCA criteria on that oil, hot, cold, and everywhere in between.
Yep, even in Australia it's 0W20 for the Jeep 3.6L V6.

This is from a country where Toyota still approve us to use 15W40 in their 4-cylinder hybrids.

Mind, if you ran M1 5W30 API SP or similar (and I know people who do) I'm sure nothing will go wrong, but as IndyFan says, Jeep did all their durability testing with 0W20 in the sump.

Not to be a ball buster but lets see the testing and criteria used. It is easy to make a claim that they did all this testing on this that or the other , please someone making the claim post a link to it. I have seen oil sites in Germany call for 0w30 in this engine in a Jeep wrangler.
What is good in the USA may or may not be applicable for all countries. 0W30 will cause no harm and may offer greater protection under certain conditions.

Not to be a ball buster but lets see the testing and criteria used. It is easy to make a claim that they did all this testing on this that or the other , please someone making the claim post a link to it. I have seen oil sites in Germany call for 0w30 in this engine in a Jeep wrangler.
What is good in the USA may or may not be applicable for all countries. 0W30 will cause no harm and may offer greater protection under certain conditions.
If you saw that it was not from the manufacturer and it was not for this PUG version of the Pentastar.

0w20 is specified all over the world on this version of the engine, in all the applications in which it resides.

Show me where you saw 0w30 specified and I'll immediately explain to you what's wrong with your source.

The JK Wrangler has a different version of the Pentastar than the JL or JT Gladiator.

Ok I can see that but show me where you get your info that this is a worldwide spec from.
From FCA/Stellantis. Show me where in the world it does not specify 0w20. It specifies 0w20 in every country and on every continent where it is sold. Period.

Where exactly do you think it is sold where any other weight is specified? Not Europe. Not Asia. Not Africa. Not Australia. Not New Zealand. Not anywhere else.

Back