Getting rid of TSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new here and found this website because I have done something really stupid. I have put some Tri Star Lube in my engine (two litre 16 valve C20XE engine) because of ticking tappets. It's done about 165000 kilometers, so just about 100K miles. It's a common problem with these engines so I searched for a solution and was a bit too quick throwing TSL in it.

I have to say the engine did run smoother at a cold start and the tappets only tick for half a minute max. Nothing really changed about that either.

I am running Kroon Oil Emperol 5W40 in it by the way...

After I had thrown the TSL additive in I had some second thoughts and after some searching I found the PDS and MSDS of it, where it is clear that the PDS is just some concealed brochure, whereas the MSDS is a lot more serious and reveals it contains 35-65% of Chlorinated Olefin, which gives a break down product of HCl, which can form nasty acidous hydriochloric acid when it comes in to contact with water.

I do change my oil very frequently as I am most often a short trip driver, so I am thinking about sceduling in an oil change. How to go about this? Should I flush the engine somehow? Should I run it up to temp and drain it and throw some cheap oil in, drain and throw something decent in again?

In short, how to best go about getting rid of the chlorinated additive?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Don't flush your engine with anything but fresh cheap oil. If you use some sort of petroleum based etc. engine flush it will reduce the life of your seals at least. If your car is older and has some varnish buildup, or sludge or other solid material inside the engine, it will loosen it. It could destroy your engine. I knew a guy who had a 12 year old Volvo. After the engine flush the car was smoking to a point where he had to get it off the road.

Dont freak out. They say the same thing about MMO. if your pcv system is working well you wont get any water in the oil. If your worried just change the oil.

Welcome to BITOG

Cheers guys! Then I have done exactly the right thing gladly. Just bought some cheap, but sufficient oil and ran two cycles of warming up, draining, refill. The right oil is in there again now with an original oil filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back