getting hosed by the water company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Between the problems you've had with your gas bill and now your water bill based on a quick search, it appears the utilities are out to get you.

What exactly is your issue? Do you think the 2080 per 14 (or 15) days is wrong? I can't tell. If your email to the city alderman or council was as complete as this post, I suspect they can't understand what your problem is either.

Do you pay your bill monthly or quarterly?

Based on your usage for 14 or 15 days (you used both), 2080 gallons would be roughly 12,500-13,400 gallons in a quarter. You stated they said you used 12,700 gallons. Seems about right if they bill quarterly.

Not sure what your family size is, but your usage of 130-150 gallons per day is perfectly normal for even a smaller family. Showers, laundry, dishwashers, etc... all add up...

FWIW, my family of 4 in a 90's built dwelling uses around 12,000 gallons per quarter (non sprinkling water). That's roughly 33 gallons per day per person.

For [censored] sakes here we go. I didn't give you all the numbers and info because I don't need bitog to decipher if I am correct in having a problem all I wanted to know was which order to escalate the problem. You guys took a simple question and had to make it a big deal.

But here we go and I used 2080 gallons in 2 weeks which was read by me at the meter and is correct and normal because like I said earlier we always use between 4000-5000 a month. The bill is done MONTHlY. I have said all of this already so I am repeating my self and we are still off topic. As I don't need to dis cuss if I am right or wrong I just want to discuss the best way to escalate the issue. And jhzr2 I don't know why its interesting. I am not suprided at all politicians rarely care about the people. Atlas around here.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
You know what's really funny is bitog is the only site that makes things more complex then need be some of you act like you need a life story or a history lesson. My question was simple when you go to city hall to pay the bill and the lady in charge won't make it right and won't give you info on who to call who do you go to. Mind you I emailed my alderman and the city mayor neither have responded.

More correctly, BITOG is one of the few sites where many of the members want to know the whole story before reaching a conclusion. That way assumptions aren't made and the wrong conclusions aren't reached. That's a good thing!

"What exactly is your issue? Do you think the 2080 per 14 (or 15) days is wrong? I can't tell. If your email to the city alderman or council was as complete as this post, I suspect they can't understand what your problem is either."

I am not suprided at all politicians rarely care about the people. Atlas around here. [/quote]

the above line, and your inability to convey your messages to people here is the issue. look at the responses in this and most of the threads that you start.it's always the same. people don't know what is going on, and you get your neck up, and lash out if you do not get the responses that you want to hear. frankly, I'd be embarrassed to ask advice, on the internet, about such a petty issue as this. but, to each his own.
bottom line is that you need to improve your communication skills.i'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but most posts here are saying the same thing, in a roundabout way.
mngopher's quote above, and the eric's above post sum it up well.
i'm done here, and will view the thread,later,as does barkleymut -- entertainment.
ram -- good luck with this problem, and have a good night.

Last edited:
For [censored] sakes here we go. I didn't give you all the numbers and info because I don't need bitog to decipher if I am correct in having a problem all I wanted to know was which order to escalate the problem. You guys took a simple question and had to make it a big deal.

FFS

Missouri American Water's Customer Service Center is available to serve you 24/7. Our goal is courteous and efficient response to your needs. If you have a question that we cannot resolve to your satisfaction, you have the right to request that the Missouri Public Service Commission (PSC) review the unresolved issue. You may contact the PSC at:

Missouri Public Service Commission Governor Office Building
200 Madison Street
PO Box 360
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0360 1.800.392.4211

Seriously, it took me 3 minutes searching on the internet.

BC.

Between the problems you've had with your gas bill and now your water bill based on a quick search, it appears the utilities are out to get you.

What exactly is your issue? Do you think the 2080 per 14 (or 15) days is wrong? I can't tell. If your email to the city alderman or council was as complete as this post, I suspect they can't understand what your problem is either.

Do you pay your bill monthly or quarterly?

Based on your usage for 14 or 15 days (you used both), 2080 gallons would be roughly 12,500-13,400 gallons in a quarter. You stated they said you used 12,700 gallons. Seems about right if they bill quarterly.

Not sure what your family size is, but your usage of 130-150 gallons per day is perfectly normal for even a smaller family. Showers, laundry, dishwashers, etc... all add up...

FWIW, my family of 4 in a 90's built dwelling uses around 12,000 gallons per quarter (non sprinkling water). That's roughly 33 gallons per day per person.

But here we go and I used 2080 gallons in 2 weeks which was read by me at the meter and is correct and normal because like I said earlier we always use between 4000-5000 a month. The bill is done MONTHlY. I have said all of this already so I am repeating my self and we are still off topic. As I don't need to dis cuss if I am right or wrong I just want to discuss the best way to escalate the issue. And jhzr2 I don't know why its interesting. I am not suprided at all politicians rarely care about the people. Atlas around here.

Where in southern Missouri do you live? My family is in SW Missouri area?

Every month my usage and payment goes up and up doubled then tripled. I have taken pictures of the meter with a time and date stamp and can prove they are screwing it up. Question is the lady where we pay won't help at all. Who do you call in these situations?

File a complaint with your states public utility commission (PUC). Include a timeline + info on who you've talked to, numbers, phone numbers, dates, times, etc. The PUC wields a bigger hammer than you and has jurisdiction over water companies.

Years ago I filed a complaint against AT&T with the PUC when my phone service was interrupted through no fault of my own and they were dragging their $%^#. Suddenly I had AT&T people crawling out of the ground to solve my problem and service was quickly restored.

Go WAY over her head with your states PUC.

So you don't give all the information, expect us to understand what the problem is, and get mad at everyone when they want to help?

So, still trying to piece together all the information, you got a bill for 12,000+ gallons of usage in a month when normal is 4-5000 gallons. I'd first start looking for leaks - a bad float, leaky toilet, dripping faucet, etc...

Our old analog water meter moved, even at extremely low flows. If everything is off, and the meter is still moving, you've got a leak. Even the small leaks add up fast. Our current electronic meter even tells us if it thinks we have a leak...

After, I've done that, I would calmly contact the customer service contact that I am sure is listed on your bill, give them ALL the information (that seems to be your biggest issue), and go from there.

Why I bother venturing in here is beyond me. Maybe I just like watching train wrecks.
smile.gif

So you don't give all the information, expect us to understand what the problem is, and get mad at everyone when they want to help?

So, still trying to piece together all the information, you got a bill for 12,000+ gallons of usage in a month when normal is 4-5000 gallons. I'd first start looking for leaks - a bad float, leaky toilet, dripping faucet, etc...

Our old analog water meter moved, even at extremely low flows. If everything is off, and the meter is still moving, you've got a leak. Even the small leaks add up fast. Our current electronic meter even tells us if it thinks we have a leak...

After, I've done that, I would calmly contact the customer service contact that I am sure is listed on your bill, give them ALL the information (that seems to be your biggest issue), and go from there.

Why I bother venturing in here is beyond me. Maybe I just like watching train wrecks.
smile.gif

I'd advise you to read the thread. I've answered every single question you have asked even though my question was simple when you have a water bill dispute what's the proper way to escalate the issue? That question doesn't involve any of the other b.s. some of you keep asking. I've checked for leaks ect. Like I already said so instead of regurgitating the same questions over and over and read the thread.

Look at my post!!! I asked what steps do you take to get a problem where the water usage you are getting charmed for is incorrect? I said the rest aren't any leaks and that the meter reads f8n i told you what I actually use and I told you was I was being charged for. What else do you need to know. It's riridiculous. A few people on here answered the question without asking 50 more that don't didirectly relate to my question? Are those few that understood what I was asking and just answered more intelligent? It's always the same dozen or so guys on here that always make things more complicated than necessary and turn a regular simple question in rocket science. If you cannot answer my question with out asking 50 more and then say I didn't answer every single question move on and quit replying. The redundant behavior of a few members gets old.

The meter is only for my house the issue is they don't read the meter they just estimate several others in the community are also upset over the same issue. There are no leaks and no none has come out and read the meter . The only issue is whoever is writing down their estimate forgot what estimate meant and just jots down whatever. We are basic no pools no hot tubs nothing special just sbowers,laundry and dishes. That's it's pretty much.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How old is your home / residence ?

Home is 76yrs old all the plumbing was redone about 4 years ago.. there arent any leaks though.

The meter is only for my house the issue is they don't read the meter they just estimate several others in the community are also upset over the same issue. There are no leaks and no none has come out and read the meter . The only issue is whoever is writing down their estimate forgot what estimate meant and just jots down whatever. We are basic no pools no hot tubs nothing special just sbowers,laundry and dishes. That's it's pretty much.

Wow, it took three pages to get this clearly stated. You almost got into jaw jacking mode before this, so calm down.

So now you're sure they only estimate? In other words the bill states that it is estimated? Also, amongst questions you didn't reply to, do they have to go inside your house to get a reading, or is it possible by other method?

Before they installed wireless reporting capability on our gas meters, we often had estimated bills. It was always possible to call in and provide the correct reading. Rather than fighting with idiots, have you tried submitting the correct value? You may end up with a statement credit if they have indeed overestimated.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Wow, it took three pages to get this clearly stated. You almost got into jaw jacking mode before this, so calm down.

So now you're sure they only estimate? In other words the bill states that it is estimated? Also, amongst questions you didn't reply to, do they have to go inside your house to get a reading, or is it possible by other method?

Before they installed wireless reporting capability on our gas meters, we often had estimated bills. It was always possible to call in and provide the correct reading. Rather than fighting with idiots, have you tried submitting the correct value? You may end up with a statement credit if they have indeed overestimated.

Yes ive tried offering the correct values and no you don't have to go in the house the meter is under a little metal man hole style cover at the endge of the yard by the road like most other places that i am aware of.
And im perfectly calm but the stupidity and arrogance from some is amazing. My queation was this and only this "WHO DO YOU TALK TO TO ESCALATE A WATET BILL DISPUTE SINCE THE READINGS ARE NOT CORRECT AND I KNOW THEY ARENT AND I KNOW THERE ARENT ANY LEAKS?" That was my question and i get questions like wheres the meter located what style is it how old is the house and have you checked for leaks ect. I said im the very first post all i meeded to know was how to properly escalate the issue. I said i had no leaks and then I'm asked if i checked for leaks. No i only said that i didnt have any leaks because i didnt check at all i just blindly assumed that i do not have 8000 gallons of water hanging out anywhere in or around my dwelling. But i didnt bother to look. I mean come on really my question didnt require all these questions and 4 pages of discussion. I just wasnt sure the best way to escalate the issue. But we took me asking 1 question and turned it into everyone asking me all these irrelevant question and now according to you i am some how obligated to answer even though they are border line off topic and completely irrelevant to the actual question i asked.

Anyone going to ask what kind of oil im going to use to keep the meter lid in smooth operating form i mean a good portion of people involved want to take the thread and derail it why not ask ythat absolutely necessary question as well...... this would be like you ask8ng what which engine in a honda accord is better the 4cyl and the 6cyl and you getting questions such as what color is the car ,whats the tire size and is it a 4dr or coupe......see how irrelevant that would be. .....i can only hope you see my point. However i doubt that you will .....(sigh)

Quote:
I have taken pictures of the meter with a time and date stamp and can prove they are screwing it up.

Does that mean they are misreading the meter or the you believe the meter is not properly reading your usage? Your post is not clear.

You can have the meter changed out if you suspect it is not registering correctly. The billing lady likely is not the correct person to see.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Quote:
I have taken pictures of the meter with a time and date stamp and can prove they are screwing it up.

Does that mean they are misreading the meter or the you believe the meter is not properly reading your usage? Your post is not clear.

You can have the meter changed out if you suspect it is not registering correctly. The billing lady likely is not the correct person to see.

Opps missed the part where this post went from mud to clearer water....

Get an official read and likely if you have paid okay you will basically owe nothing. My gas company used to estimate every other month but if you called in you could get a more accurate billing. However when they read you either paid even more or barely anything dependent on how accurate the guess they did. The math is quite simple and you can have a negative balance.

They are not out getting you they simply have a different formula for usage then you likely have then.

Quote:

Opps missed the part where this post went from mud to clearer water....

Get an official read and likely if you have paid okay you will basically owe nothing. My gas company used to estimate every other month but if you called in you could get a more accurate billing. However when they read you either paid even more or barely anything dependent on how accurate the guess they did. The math is quite simple and you can have a negative balance.

They are not out getting you they simply have a different formula for usage then you likely have then.

Lol. Mud to clearer water. Exactly. There is always a way to call in actual values. I'll bet someone on here could find it if we knew the utility name.

I still haven't seen the op verify that the units on the meter and bill are consistent... Maybe I missed it? Yes it's important. If you're going to go into jaw jacking mode and escalate, you need to ensure that everything on your end is 100% correct so you don't get the run-around with some idiots. We've all been around the block too, so asking questions isnt a bad thing.

Giving advice for the op to escalate if he is wrong is just going to go nowhere. Be thankful people on here actually care enough to respond and think about the situation and ask questions...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I still haven't seen the op verify that the units on the meter and bill are consistent... Maybe I missed it? Yes it's important. If you're going to go into jaw jacking mode and escalate, you need to ensure that everything on your end is 100% correct so you don't get the run-around with some idiots. We've all been around the block too, so asking questions isnt a bad thing.

Giving advice for the op to escalate if he is wrong is just going to go nowhere. Be thankful people on here actually care enough to respond and think about the situation and ask questions...

lol. hope he likes being questioned when he says something needs to be fixed at his job. or as a mechanic, he's 100% right all the time. He goes into jaw jacking mode with the customers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back