getting hosed by the water company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I have a deep well. Good tasting water, no chlorine. Costs are pretty low and when I go away for a few days or longer I turn off the power to the pump. So any pipe leak anywhere can only leak what is in the tank (maybe 20-30 gallons).

I grew up with a well and it's so much better.
they said I used 12,700 gallons when in the 14 days I monitored I only used 2,080. And the numbers on the bill aren't any where close to what's on the meter. They say they read the metermeters every month by having someone come out and actually read them. However I know that not true. I had to concrete blocks 10lbs a piece on the lid where our meter is and I drew corresponding arrows on them discretely and they have yet to have been moved. I just want to know what steps I could take and what recourse I have regarding the issue. I know I do not have leaks and I know I'm not using what they say I am so to keep this short and on topic i dont need to discuss actually checking or being sure of the usage ect because that has already been dine. I just want the issue resolved and my bill fixed.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I grew up with a well and it's so much better.
they said I used 12,700 gallons when in the 14 days I monitored I only used 2,080. And the numbers on the bill aren't any where close to what's on the meter. They say they read the metermeters every month by having someone come out and actually read them. However I know that not true. I had to concrete blocks 10lbs a piece on the lid where our meter is and I drew corresponding arrows on them discretely and they have yet to have been moved. I just want to know what steps I could take and what recourse I have regarding the issue. I know I do not have leaks and I know I'm not using what they say I am so to keep this short and on topic i dont need to discuss actually checking or being sure of the usage ect because that has already been dine. I just want the issue resolved and my bill fixed.
\

hmmmm interesting. Good idea on drawing arrows on the blocks, if you haven't already then take pics of that to support your case. I would show up unannounced at the place where the bill is calculated and ask to speak to the head honcho. Explain everything, bring a pic of your current reading and ask why it is no where near your last bills reported reading. Don't interupt the guy when he gives you an answer, let him explain. If you don't get a good answer then you can really elevate the problem. If you still don't get a resolution then its time to have fun and call the local TV station, they love stories like this one.

So a person physically walks up and reads the meter? No electrical method?

What are the units on the meter? I suspect cu yd or cu ft.

1 cu ft of water is like 7 gallons...

Having gone through something similar recently, on your water bill...

-Does the meter identification number match what is on your meter?

-Is there a meter reading date and a final reading in gallons listed? Is the reading anywhere even close to what you see on the meter?

Our water bill went nuts at the same time as we got a new meter a year and a half ago.

We were using 1,000L per day (not outragious for a family of 4 in Oz), but it was costing us $2.86 a day for the first 250 days of the year and $4.68 per day for the rest of the year.

Argued initially that the new meter was obviously faulty...was going to be $300 to replace it, and more to have the old one tested in dispute.

Ran a trial where we turned the water off when we weren't actively using it. Overnight off. At work, off.,,read the meter at the start of the week, and at the end. Next week we left it on all the time, and on the Friday (Yep, before a long weekend), we had a spongy, elevated piece of grass in the front...a shovel, an innertube, and a hose clamp.

Took a repeated wetting and drying out to force the earth to stop flowing the leak away to pushing it up to the surface...

Back to 600L per day

Every month my usage and payment goes up and up doubled then tripled. I have taken pictures of the meter with a time and date stamp and can prove they are screwing it up. Question is the lady where we pay won't help at all. Who do you call in these situations?

Simple. Find someone with some authority at the water company who can investigate your issue. Find the person who handles issues such as yours, and then calmly discuss the problem. Present your facts and documentation, and request that they look at the usage for the meter for the past year or two. If there has been a sudden unexplained jump, then request that they come out and reread the meter. Make certain that you are there when they reread the meter.

You don't need to rant, have a hissy fit, threaten, lose your temper or claim you're getting hosed. Just work the issue like a mature adult.

Had a huge jump in water consumption earlier this year. Checked readings against bill and the bill reflected correct information. I noticed that the toilet seemed to be phantom flushing around this time as well. Changed the seals and installed a new fill valve, and now my bill went to below its normal rate. Apparently the toilet was wasting +/- $30 a month.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Every month my usage and payment goes up and up doubled then tripled. I have taken pictures of the meter with a time and date stamp and can prove they are screwing it up. Question is the lady where we pay won't help at all. Who do you call in these situations?

I feel your pain. I don't think my hydro company is screwing up, I just didn't realize how much bloody water I was using. We used to be flat rate until last month, so if I used 30 swimming pools worth in a month it didn't matter. Now it matters. I used 59 cubic meters of water last month. Apparently that's a lot (15,586 gallons!). My dad used 18 (4,755 gallons). It increased my hydro bill to just under $400.00
crazy2.gif

I've now installed that super low water usage Kohler toilet, so I'm a bit anxious to see what effect that's had on my usage.

wow, I just looked at our water bill. We used just over 14,000 gallons over the past 2 months (we get billed every 2 months). Our bill was $112. I doubt the new toilets will change your usage much. Do you have a lawn irrigation system? Wash your cars once a week? I have 4 total living in my house and I cannot imagine using twice the amount of h20 that we do.

None of the above. But my previous toilet had an internal leak that was constantly using water. Now, during the day, the meter doesn't move. So I'm hoping for an improvement
smile.gif

That is no fun, and we demand entertainment!!
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Simple. Find someone with some authority at the water company who can investigate your issue. Find the person who handles issues such as yours, and then calmly discuss the problem. Present your facts and documentation, and request that they look at the usage for the meter for the past year or two. If there has been a sudden unexplained jump, then request that they come out and reread the meter. Make certain that you are there when they reread the meter.

You don't need to rant, have a hissy fit, threaten, lose your temper or claim you're getting hosed. Just work the issue like a mature adult.

Pop rivet I have tried the lady who works the desk won't let me talk to anyone she says I'm not allowed to have that info.and several people bin the town are having the same issues which I'd why I said I'm getting hosed. It's not isolated to just me.

We had a similar problem in Las Vegas. Meter readers obviously not reading the meters, and water bills going sky high based upon made up numbers. The water company refused to do anything about it even after numerous complaints.
Some of the customers went to Channel 13 (which has a consumer affairs section). Came out on the nightly news. The problem got fixed, but only for the customers that had Channel 13 making inquiries.
If you don't have that option, I echo the recommendation to go to the State PUC. With your documentation, it will get fixed.

Pop rivet I have tried the lady who works the desk won't let me talk to anyone she says I'm not allowed to have that info.and several people bin the town are having the same issues which I'd why I said I'm getting hosed. It's not isolated to just me.

this is funny, and, at the same time, sad.that woman must think that you're stupid.

pop's reply is what I would've said. (I can't believe that I said that).but, it's useless, as it's based on your incomplete story. jaraxle's opinion is the only valid one, based on your above post.jhzr2 and rand are 2, among others, that have to drag info from you to try and get a complete picture, in order to give you a relevant reply.

if the state utilities people do not deal with this, then go to the local politician.
a suggestion -- try to give the complete story in your first post. it would eliminate many useless posts,since they are based on an incomplete story. simply put, we do not know what you're talking about -- hence several replies asking for more info. good luck, and let us know the result.have a good night.

You know what's really funny is bitog is the only site that makes things more complex then need be some of you act like you need a life story or a history lesson. My question was simple when you go to city hall to pay the bill and the lady in charge won't make it right and won't give you info on who to call who do you go to. Mind you I emailed my alderman and the city mayor neither have responded.

Are you in a single-family house, or a duplex/apartment situation?

I got a 16,000 gallon water bill for two people after our first month in a duplex. We figured out that the sprinkler system was spliced into our line, even though the only grass and the control box were on the neighbor's side. Meters were put in long after the place was built, so it hadn't mattered at the time.

After the sprinkler system was turned off, our next bill was for 3000 gallons.

We were able to sort the problem out with the property manager, though. If you can't manage to get anywhere with your water company, the TV news sounds like a great idea, especially if others are having the same problem.

My current water use, for a family of three in a different house, is about 4500 gallons per month. The water is metered in CCF (hundred cubic feet). The bill says 1 CCF equals about 748 gallons.

You know what's really funny is bitog is the only site that makes things more complex then need be some of you act like you need a life story or a history lesson. My question was simple when you go to city hall to pay the bill and the lady in charge won't make it right and won't give you info on who to call who do you go to. Mind you I emailed my alderman and the city mayor neither have responded.

No, there just may be more to the story than is presented by your discussion and spouting a few numbers.

Its also interesting that any time that Ive emailed the mayor or council, Ive always had a reply by at least one, if not all three, in 12 hours or less.

Between the problems you've had with your gas bill and now your water bill based on a quick search, it appears the utilities are out to get you.

What exactly is your issue? Do you think the 2080 per 14 (or 15) days is wrong? I can't tell. If your email to the city alderman or council was as complete as this post, I suspect they can't understand what your problem is either.

Do you pay your bill monthly or quarterly?

Based on your usage for 14 or 15 days (you used both), 2080 gallons would be roughly 12,500-13,400 gallons in a quarter. You stated they said you used 12,700 gallons. Seems about right if they bill quarterly.

Not sure what your family size is, but your usage of 130-150 gallons per day is perfectly normal for even a smaller family. Showers, laundry, dishwashers, etc... all add up...

FWIW, my family of 4 in a 90's built dwelling uses around 12,000 gallons per quarter (non sprinkling water). That's roughly 33 gallons per day per person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back