Germany's reluctance to electric vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Germany is one messed up country right now, run by lunatics, as are most EU member states.

We have very clear examples from EU, Australia and Canada just how destructive the "electrification" movement is to the general public. People are struggling to pay their electricity bills and then on top of that they hear they will be forced to buy electric vehicles.
Their "reluctance" comes from basic realities and simple math. They cannot afford the grand vision if their masters.

The question is will US people learn from these examples? Time will tell.

Well, there is upside: they do not bankrupt by calling EMS.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Rand
they make a good second car or commuter.
they cant be the only vehicle yet.

This.

For many families needing 2 cars this is a good commuting car for 1 of them. When it is old and range reduced it is a good teenager car too.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Rand
they make a good second car or commuter.
they cant be the only vehicle yet.

This.

For many families needing 2 cars this is a good commuting car for 1 of them. When it is old and range reduced it is a good teenager car too.

Most families in Europe do not have two cars. That is where the problem is.

China can get into EV's because of how many coal power plants they are producing.

Does Germany have that capacity? I don't know.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
China can get into EV's because of how many coal power plants they are producing.

No.. but Russia have. Nord Stream II

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

The Germans buy their electricity from Russia?

No, gas.. that gonna produce electricity.

No, gas.. that gonna produce electricity.

I am confused. What does Russia do?

Does Germany buy gas from Russia for electricity?

After Fukushima disaster, there was a strong movement in Germany to go away with nuclear. No one wants to copy how France did it, and they arguably have best nuclear power plant infrastructure.
So Germany is relying on coal, and import of electricity from countries that have excessive electricity production around Europe.
Electricity is not going to be an issue. EV's are coming, and they will be equally practical or even better (maybe not in our lifetime). Infrastructure will be figured out.
I would more worry from geopolitical standpoint what happens with Russia or Saudi Arabia once that happens.

Yes, Germany is importing natural gas from Russia for power generation because of their 3/4 of a trillion dollar boondoggle. They also just brought a new coal plant online, so I don't think generation capacity is really going to be an issue, however the cost of electricity is currently one there.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
the electric setup is far simpler and reliable than the current offerings for ICE engines

Sadly, neither is true. The batteries are amazingly complex with a stunning number of components, not to mention the dual and triple motor setups and high voltage controllers. There is a reason EV's cost so much, and it's not just because of the battery.

Reliability will likely surpass ICE powered vehicles sometime in the future. But as of now, the popular EV's are less reliable and many of the repairs are exceedingly expensive. It's a very good thing today's EV's come with long warranties.

Some amazing videos exist on the flat out stunning "out of warranty" costs of Tesla cars. Hint, they think nothing of charging $20,000 or even $25,000 for repairs.

Cost
Range
Charge time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back