German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
YZF150,

I know there won't necessarily be a TAG 786 but if the last four digits are indeed fill times, shouldn't there be a follow-on batch coming? (I do realize that the fill times are not showing up in perfect chronological order so we may shift forward and backward in fill times until the whole batch is gone...it also appears we might get some of the numbers that have shown up in Canada and the NE in other parts of the country where the oil has showed up).

Hi,
YZF-150 - not much more than to say really, the engine lost oil pressure and the reason was obscure
They ( Rep/Dealer ) made the decision in my absence to drop the sump after replacing the filter, sender etc. and removing the valve cover and not being able to establish pressure.
They opened up the old filter (OEM) filter and it was cleared with very little inside

The oil pump was "frozen" if I remember correctly - with a heavy high temp varnish and I think the oil screen was also "varnished".
The vehicle was off the road for 14 days while issues were checked out!

These engines always ran "hot" with oil temps permitted to 126C (225F)if I remember and always running about 110C. The car had a trip computer with oil temp reader and over temp warning device. These motors also have an oil to coolant oil cooler mounted in unison with the oil filter

They also have a "heat sink" radiator ( like my Porsche )that limits thermal shock/stress with the thermostat on the bottom hose. This keeps the cooling jacket under very tight thermal control especially near the bottom of the bores

These engines have a fine reputation for long life and durability. The engine management system was also debriefed for critical readings ( oil over temp etc.) and all was normal. I saw the printout too

The oil temp was always higher - around 115C - with the SLX than with the R ( about 110C )- especially when climbing

They - Rep/Dealer - had seen similar contamination a few times before in what was really "normal" vehicle operation. This event was the convincing issue and the reason they stopped using SLX - as I did

Perhaps it was an irregular "batch" as I always purchase my oils in bulk and all the SLX used was likely purchased at the same time. I cannot remember but it is most likely

This engine had always performed very well on R and then after the "event", on the M1 0w-40 although it was sold only 10k later

I had been a long time user of Castrol RX Super and trialled a part synthetic for the Castrol Engineers - Enduro LD - in my trucks. Over a 500000kms period
I still use Castrol Transmax Z, Syntrans and Syntrax transmission fluids. They are in my Subaru and BMW and in the transmission/diff of my Porsche and some heavy trucks

Regards
Doug Hillary

I think G-Man IIs lot was M023386BTAG785 0058.

FowVay (in Newnan, GA) had a match with me, M023386BTAG785 2208.

Can't wait to use it. (I'll save my empties to keep the lot#
wink.gif
)

Greetings from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Lot #'s Wal-Mart (7 liters):

M023386B784 - 1521, 1559, 1617, 1621

Lot #'s Canadian Tire (12 liters):

M030426B T/W1240607 - 2245, 2_58, 2_59

I just bought 10 more quarts.

6 quarts M030426A T/W05482 1354
4 quarts M030426A T/W05482 1355

I had a discussion with the manager of Autozone (very friendly guy), he said that the U.S. stuff and the german stuff had different I.D. numbers, and he ran a check of all the stores in Columbus on their computer. He then told me which stores had it and how many quarts they had. only 6 out of the 18 stores in Columbus have it, but they have over 100 quarts between the 6 stores.

It might be here to stay.
dunno.gif

[ August 30, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

Which refineries do the "German" products come from?
The newly aquired ones in the Czech Republic?
How about the Belgium Mobil?
Is that from Poland?
Where are the crude oils from?
Has anyone checked into the sourse of these lubricants?
Are the PAOs from Russian natural gas feed stock?
Why buy anything at all made in North America?
Will the last person with a job, please turn out the lights?

[ August 30, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Which refineries do the "German" products come from?
The newly aquired ones in the Czech Republic?
How about the Belgium Mobil?
Is that from Poland?
Where are the crude oils from?
Has anyone checked into the sourse of these lubricants?
Are the PAOs from Russian natural gas feed stock?
Why buy anything at all made in North America?
Will the last person with a job, please turn out the lights?

I heard alot of that stuff here in america after NAFTA passed.

It is more likely that the dino you are using comes from the middle east than North america.

You can smell oil refineries 10 miles away. Do you really want one in your backyard?

[ August 30, 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by Morphector:
Bought 4 quarts at wal-mart and they didn't even seems to have any old stuff
smile.gif

Today's postings contain info that seems to bode well for continued supply BUT Castrol is good at leading us through ups and downs as we try to figure out what their intentions are. I'm stocking up just in case.

Geez man.....you already got 140 quarts.
bowdown.gif
How many quarts you need?
grin.gif
cheers.gif
How many of those quarts are the german stuff? I am up to 25. Now watch...I will use it and will have 500ppm of lead and iron in a 3k OCI.
rolleyes.gif

[ August 31, 2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

For those in or near CSprings, the AZ on 8th St has about 4 cases Lot #s TAG 785 1958 - 2001. I'm giving you a chance...don't know how long I will hold off buying MORE!
grin.gif

78 actually, but what is 8 quarts among friends...I have offered to share...just consider me the second US outlet for German Castrol!
grin.gif

Doug Castrol pulled all SLX 0W30 from retail and distributors and have a heap sitting at head office. They were kinda coy about it, and pushed Formula R the replacement. Maybe they knew something after all?? I was thinking about getting some to trial in the Outback but think I'll pass thanks!

offtopic.gif

There have been no refineries built in the U.S. in over twenty years.

The price of crude oil did not spike nearly as much as the price of gasoline over the past 10 days.

This may support userfriendly's point, it may not.

dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back