Castrol 5w30 for 2023 Mazda 2.5 Turbo

Car is rated for 5w30. Which would be the most appropriate:

Castrol Edge Euro 5W-30 A3/B4 European Advanced​

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W-30 Advanced​

Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil​

I believe the official intervals are 10k, will be doing middle changes myself of just the oil at 5k.

This is on a CX-50 2.5 Turbo with 7k miles. Warranty goes to 100k miles.

I believe that is the engine in the car.

I would run any of those. If you're doing shorter intervals I can't see it mattering very much at all. They're all going to perform well.

They are all “appropriate” for a 30-grade owner’s manual recommendation as long as you’re not starting unaided below about -35 or so.

I would use the regular Edge 5W-30 as it is typically the least expensive. I use the Edge High Mileage 5W-30 in my Mazda 2.5 Turbo engine, typically at 5k mile intervals.

Keep an eye on the oil level. Some of the engines leak oil past the exhaust valve stem seals (don't know your year). There is a TSB for this, but the fix has had middling results (replacement of the exhaust valve stem seals). Regardless of the TSB, I have noticed that the 2.5T will use a bit over a 5k mile interval.

I would use the regular Edge 5W-30 as it is typically the least expensive. I use the Edge High Mileage 5W-30 in my Mazda 2.5 Turbo engine, typically at 5k mile intervals.

Keep an eye on the oil level. Some of the engines leak oil past the exhaust valve stem seals (don't know your year). There is a TSB for this, but the fix has had middling results (replacement of the exhaust valve stem seals). Regardless of the TSB, I have noticed that the 2.5T will use a bit over a 5k mile interval.

Yeah that appears to be limited to the 2021 models and it was fixed after that. Hopefully.

[QUOTE="I Why are you limited to Castrol?
[/QUOTE]
I typically use 0w40 M1 or PUP 0w30 or 5w30 in my other vehicles. I wanted to spend like $30 or less on this one since it's a less demanding engine and use case.

Yeah that appears to be limited to the 2021 models and it was fixed after that. Hopefully.
I've still seen 2.5T use a bit over the interval, regardless if the TSB applied. Just something to remember since modern cars have spoiled many of us from having to check the oil level often. Just keep a spare quart in the car.

I've still seen 2.5T use a bit over the interval, regardless if the TSB applied. Just something to remember since modern cars have spoiled many of us from having to check the oil level often. Just keep a spare quart in the car.
Yup, always.

I typically use 0w40 M1 or PUP 0w30 or 5w30 in my other vehicles. I wanted to spend like $30 or less on this one since it's a less demanding engine and use case.

Any off the shelf D1G3, API SP, GF-6A oil at the store is going to be more than adequate for 5W-30.

Car is rated for 5w30. Which would be the most appropriate:

Castrol Edge Euro 5W-30 A3/B4 European Advanced​

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W-30 Advanced​

Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil​

I believe the official intervals are 10k, will be doing middle changes myself of just the oil at 5k.

This is on a CX-50 2.5 Turbo with 7k miles. Warranty goes to 100k miles.

I believe that is the engine in the car.
The A3/B4 Edge Euro is API SL I believe. That might put it out of contention.

I have a new '23 Mazda 3 (non turbo), and have done a dive into oil in anticipation of ongoing maintenance.

The Skyactiv engines are unique b/c of the 13:1 CR coupled with the fuel injector design (along with the piston top design) and it is *imperative* the oil specs meet Mazda's listed in the owner's manual. IDK if the Euro spec does that, so you might want to confirm this.

FWIW, I've chosen M1 along with OEM filter. This car rocks, it punches far above its price point.

The Skyactiv engines are unique b/c of the 13:1 CR coupled with the fuel injector design (along with the piston top design) and it is *imperative* the oil specs meet Mazda's listed in the owner's manual. IDK if the Euro spec does that, so you might want to confirm this.

FWIW, I've chosen M1 along with OEM filter. This car rocks, it punches far above its price point.
So how do those things dictate the imperative choice of oil specifications?

I have a new '23 Mazda 3 (non turbo), and have done a dive into oil in anticipation of ongoing maintenance.

Literally one of the most liberal oil specs ive ever seen.
The fact that you dont state the spec and mentions a brand of oil is just laughable.

SKYACTIV-G 1.5, SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5

API SL/SM/SN*4 or ACEA A3/A5 0W-20 5W-30

API SG/SH/SJ/SL/SM/SN or
ILSAC GF-II/GF-III/GF-IV/GF-V

All the viscositys between 0W to 10W and 20 to 50

Back