German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thought I have after reading Doug's last post is what was the reason to pull the SL? I do not know the composition of R. However, based on Castrol's history I could be led to believe that the phaseout of SLX could be due to its higher cost. In a sense they determined that the 0w-30 was not selling well, so why bother. Bring in a cheaper synthetic, price it a little more aggressively. Volume would increase and still the margins were higher.
Just a speculation. I do not always believe that newer is always better especially when it is accompanied by a price reduction.

A 6 pack had 3 different lot #s.

Joatmon, the third component of the production numbers clearly appears to be a time stamp. I suspect that this is the fill time on the bottle line. Standard practice in many industries. I consider the case you bought to be the same blend lot.

Yep, 3 different lot #s from a sealed 6 pack. I was in the garage recording the #s for this site (what else do I have to do on Labor Day?). I opened it up and took out a bottle and recorded the #. I thought I'd look at them all. The first 3 were the same. I was amazed that the last 3 were different.

[ September 02, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: joatmon ]

I mentioned in another thread...for those who still want to try German Castrol...Autozone just started a promotion: buy 5 quarts of ANY kind of Castrol and get the 6th quart free (would have been nice if they had done 4+1 but you take what you can get)...it runs until Oct 4th.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I mentioned in another thread...for those who still want to try German Castrol...Autozone just started a promotion: buy 5 quarts of ANY kind of Castrol and get the 6th quart free (would have been nice if they had done 4+1 but you take what you can get)...it runs until Oct 4th.

I used that deal yesterday to pick up 12 quarts. I called 2 autozones and they told me that they had it. By the time I got there, they said that they just sold out.
confused.gif
Pscholte......Did you make a trip to columbus over the weekend?
nono.gif
grin.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

I used that deal yesterday to pick up 12 quarts. I called 2 autozones and they told me that they had it. By the time I got there, they said that they just sold out.
confused.gif
Pscholte......Did you make a trip to columbus over the weekend?
nono.gif
grin.gif

Columbus? I thought you told me not to buy any in Dayton! I thought I had left you in good shape!
grin.gif

I finally got an answer from Castrol Canada, although they didn't address the main part of my question (which was if the oil was here to stay)

quote:

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including
North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and
component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of
the regional production facility. However, the end performance met
whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European
standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the
most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into
consideration development and supply chain logistics. The performance
specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard
testing varies from European testing.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most
efficient supply logistics. Castrol Syntec 0W-30 offers the same
performance as Castrol SLX 0W-30.

It could be possible this oil isn't SLX after all, but a very close copy.

Patman,

While you may be correct, my question would be why make a near duplicate if you already have a good original, unless you were just taking the opportunity to make some updates that could best be introduced on a new production line*?

*This could account for the high Fe in the early runs.

[ September 03, 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

This is one aspect where I like Mobil 1. They use all of there own materials to build an oil. This can also be a bad thing though too. Blenders can also make excellent products by purchasing top notch additives, example, Amsoil. Sounds like Castrol is a blender.

*This is also the same response I got, which is why I started this monstrous thread!!

[ September 03, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

While you may be correct, my question would be why make a near duplicate if you already have a good original, unless you were just taking the opportunity to make some updates that could best be introduced on a new production line*?

Simply to find a way to make it cheaper. Something Castrol has a history of like when they went from PAO to group III in Syntec in the US.

Why would Castrol take an expensive real synthetic oil and price it the same as their Group III oil?

RussellA,

That is a question for which I never expect to have an answer. It is awfully hard to defend or explain what Castrol does. I just keep hoping they will become a credible offeror in the oil marketplace, because I like some of the "possibilities" in what they do, but I just don't know...but, let's face it, while none of the other companies seem as bad in marketing shenanigans as Castrol, how many can you name that you think REALLY play the game straight up?

It's been a long wait.My neck grew longer towards local Wall-Mart and C Tire.But it finally showed up in Sault Ste.Marie Ontario.Got 16 bottles.
I just can't get over the price.Why would it be cheaper not only than Mobil 1 but cheaper than the so called Castrol Syntethics??

I remember reading on some board that BMW went from 0W-30 to 10W-60 after engine failures.I just ran a search on M3 boards but found no conection.

absolude,

IF there were indeed engine failures that caused a switch from 0W30 to 10W60, I'd say it was engine specific and you shouldn't worry. 0W30 to 10W60 is a such a big swing, somebody must have goofed bigtime in the original recommendation. I'm guessing it might have been the BMW S62 engine that you read about.

[ September 03, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I sent an email to Castrol USA asking if the German stuff was going to be reliably available so I could switch. I got a long reply from "Cynthia" at "Ask-the-Expert." Most of it said nothing but the last line I thought was quite literary. I quote, "the same protection level is provided by Castrol Syntec 0W30 as by Castrol SLX 0W30."

She cannot be accused of much of anything I guess, even though the back of the can lists different specs the oils meet. She never said whether the SLX would be available, but she didn't say it wouldn't either. I'm glad I finally found the "Expert."

quote:

Originally posted by absolude:
I remember reading on some board that BMW went from 0W-30 to 10W-60 after engine failures.I just ran a search on M3 boards but found no conection.

No, the problem was with M3s sold in the US. They were blowing up because the BMW dealers were servcing the engines with the same BMW 5w30 synthetic that they put in all other models. This oil was just not up to the demands this engine placed on it, especialy given how most M3 drivers push their engines.

NB: This "problem" only presented itself when BMW finally started selling an M model in the US with an engine that wasn't a detuned version of the one sold in Europe.

At least you got an answer--open to interpretation as it may be. I never got an answer from Castrol or Autozone regarding this oil. I'm not sure THEY know what they are going to do.

quote:

Originally posted by gfcrane:
She cannot be accused of much of anything I guess, even though the back of the can lists different specs the oils meet.

The specs listed on the back of the German Syntec and on the SLX product data sheet sent to me by Castrol in Germany are IDENTICAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back