German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I called twice to make sure she did understand! I called back bc I couldn't believe what she was telling me. Again, I dont buy it but you never know. I was as clear as day explaining the question. I'm calling again tomorrow to harass another employee.
grin.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Realize, that Syntec is marketed as a consumer product. It is not, to my knowledge marketed to a commercial or industrial clientel.

My experience with either Castrol or Mobil as an industrial customer has been very good and very technical. Castrol just isn't concerned with oil junkies regarding the Syntec product. And the professional marketers will never allow the methods to fail, it justifies the industry.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm so glad that SLX is green, that way we know for sure we're getting the right oil and aren't getting ripped off with the inferior US made 0w30. That would really suck if they pulled the old switcheroo and stuck the US made stuff in a bottle that said made in Germany.

I'm still waiting for my response back from Castrol Canada. Their website still lists the 0w30 as being A1, not A3.

P'man,

We're in sync (no, not that N'Sync)...I also have not heard back from Castrol USA.

YZF150...so far, in the game of "Will they answer?", you are ahead.

[ August 25, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by sub_zero:
Realize, that Syntec is marketed as a consumer product. It is not, to my knowledge marketed to a commercial or industrial clientel.

My experience with either Castrol or Mobil as an industrial customer has been very good and very technical. Castrol just isn't concerned with oil junkies regarding the Syntec product. And the professional marketers will never allow the methods to fail, it justifies the industry.

Castrol's North American heavy duty oil web site lends credence to what you've said. I think all us "oil nuts" would love to see Castrol PCMO web site have the features, etc that their HD site does. Take a look and you'll see what I'm talking about:

Castrol HD oils

That is an incredible statment from Castrol. The German Syntec is like nothing I have ever used before. Someone would have picked up on the yellow A1 domestic stuff if it was any good at all. What does Castrol need, side-by-side VOAs?
It kinda pisses me off after buying and using 6 cases already, that Castrol will not honestly discuss the product with a customer willing to contact them. ***? It says "improved European formula" on the red bottle and "made is USA" on the yellow!!! It can't be both.

[ August 25, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Here's something to think about. If the marketing section does not know about the German Syntec, who really decided to bring that stuff across? If it was not a burning issue of needing it, why did someone at Castrol go to the trouble of the green stuff, labelling etc.?

Again I suspect the green stuff meets the Europen engine requirements in their lineup and it's broad application possibilites are intentionally muted.
If the current Syntec customers catch on, there's going to be trouble for us. It'll be pulled for sure as it will cause profits to drop.

Rep: Boss, help me, here. I am getting all these calls from a bunch of dudes asking me 20 questions about our 0w-30 Syntec.

Boss: So, what's the problem?

Rep: Well, I don't know. I'm not really, like, you know, very savvy about this oil thing, but they keep talking about German oil and 3A or A3 or something and where they can get it an' stuff.

Boss: It's in all the stores. Just go buy some.

Rep: No! They keep saying it's different. There's different labels or something. And they can't seem to find it very easily.

Boss: Nonsense. Oil is oil. Oh Dub Thirty is Oh Dub Thirty. They're whacked. Our stuff is sold in every auto parts joint there is.

Rep: But where do they get these ideas. I'm getting emails, too. From all over. It's weird all of a sudden. If the oil is sold in all the stores, what are they talking about? What's up with this German thing?

Boss: Look, you don't have to care wherever-the-flock it's made. We got New Jersey oil, we got Alaska oil, we got North Sea oil. Big deal. Oil is oil.

Rep: But I can't say that to 'em!

Boss: Just tell them what we always tell them. "Our oil is engineered to provide the highest level of protec--"

Rep: I did! They won't listen. Do they know something that we don't or something?

Boss: Just forget it. They're already buying it up aren't they? So, I say again, what's the problem? We sell it, they buy it.

Rep: Um, well, I...

Boss: Yeah, yeah. Go back to your phone. And delete those emails.

YZF150,

You have outdone yourself...a most excellent post...

...wonder just how close to the truth it actually is?

Multiple kudos
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
Here's something to think about. If the marketing section does not know about the German Syntec, who really decided to bring that stuff across? If it was not a burning issue of needing it, why did someone at Castrol go to the trouble of the green stuff, labelling etc.?

Again I suspect the green stuff meets the Europen engine requirements in their lineup and it's broad application possibilites are intentionally muted.
If the current Syntec customers catch on, there's going to be trouble for us. It'll be pulled for sure as it will cause profits to drop.

cgl,

I would not dispute your theory at all...the sad thing is, Castrol has a chance to get their credibility back, not to mention being on the doorstep of a potential bonanza...and they may throw it all away either through ignorance, foolishness or market/marketing mismanagement. Mobil is milking the European connection for all it's worth and Castrol is keeping their elixir in an "unmarked bottle."

Frankly it's nice to see so many people slamming Castrol. I have been against them for years, real ticked at how they chose to debate the word 'synthetic' in court rather than put a true synthetic in a quart!
grin.gif

Perhaps they out-sourced and someone pounded on a desk too hard and demanded the BEST, and golly, now they have it. I hope this thread gets sent to them!
Castrol, if you are listening, I said I'd never buy Castrol, now I own it and am getting my sister to use it for a Canadian winter, UOA's and all that. PLEASE don't do something goofily 'corporate' and re-lower opinions of your products.

Castrol really turned a lot of owners off going "hydro-cracked" and still sticking it to everyone with the $4.99 price.

Their management of the German stuff has been a little questionable too. If you've got a great product, get the advertising out there and make it available for people to buy. I'd love to give the stuff a try, but hard to say if it will still be available in the same formula 3 years from now.

What makes you think that company that pioneered marketing hydro-cracked oils as true synthetics is going to admit that they bring PAO/ester oil because it's better than what they already sell?
They will always claim that it's the same oil as they made here before and all of their oils are superior products, no matter where they are made.

The poor person that admitted that 0W-30 Syntec is PAO from Germany because it's better suited in that application is probably seeking unemployment benefits right now.

We shouldn't be looking for information from Castrol but just watch UOAs.

YZF150,

It's inning #2 of the "Will Castrol answer" game and you are still ahead; in light of what F1Crazy just wrote, and which makes sense to me, they do not WANT to answer the question. What a ridiculous predicament they have gotten themselves into: they may have a true winner and they cannot even acknowledge it! The larger tragedy (overstatement, but I will use the word) is that ALL their products, even the very good ones, fall under the shadow cast by Castrol's botched marketing approach and by the undestandable questioning of their credibility.

I think the reality is that most consumers don't care if it is Group3 or not. They know Syntec as Castrol's best and that's all that counts. However, if they are told that German Syntec is better than the current best and it will last a lot longer, they'll switch to that as it still has the safety of the Castrol brand.

Guys remember this oil is likely costing Castrol much more than the regular Syntec. Even if they gained a lot of business with this oil with people switching to it and these people will come from the other brands AND their regular Syntec. People who switch from regular Syntec will "cost" them profits. Remember that. This explains the total hush hush and their NON promotion of this superior oil.

They need an European rated oil that Mobil has. The current dealers have asked them for an A3 and they have to oblige or they might lose preferred line status.

Sometimes the truth be best kept under wraps. This works in business and especially politics.

Original post;
Castrol brought in the oil because of a supply problem.
They have a supply of the stuff in Europe already packaged and labeled with the A-3 spec.
North American Castrol needs an A3 oil to meet demand.
End of problem.
Castrol N.A. Knows ahead of time the "nut market" will pick-up on the product and flood the phone lines.
Solution: Hire 20 students for the summer to work the phone lines at five bucks an hour.
German Castrol???? Is that produced in the newly up-graded refinery in the Czech Republic?
Isn't that tied into the Contenantal, Barum, Mitas tire petro-chemical German investment take-over thing?

[ August 26, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Castrol's not worth my time or money. I'm sure it's good oil, but I'll stick with M1 and Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
I think the reality is that most consumers don't care if it is Group3 or not. They know Syntec as Castrol's best and that's all that counts. However, if they are told that German Syntec is better than the current best and it will last a lot longer, they'll switch to that as it still has the safety of the Castrol brand.

Guys remember this oil is likely costing Castrol much more than the regular Syntec. Even if they gained a lot of business with this oil with people switching to it and these people will come from the other brands AND their regular Syntec. People who switch from regular Syntec will "cost" them profits. Remember that. This explains the total hush hush and their NON promotion of this superior oil.

They need an European rated oil that Mobil has. The current dealers have asked them for an A3 and they have to oblige or they might lose preferred line status.

Sometimes the truth be best kept under wraps. This works in business and especially politics.

cgl,

I know we are speculating, speculating, speculating, but I think this is a BIG DEAL and I think it is important for those who have any intentions of continuing to give Castrol their business. You and F1Crazy make a great deal of sense, but some of what you are saying still "doesn't fit" in my mind. If they just needed an A3 rated oil and it has to do with dealers, why did they not just do as they have done with their Softec TXT Plus and TWS and provide it only to dealers and in the case of SLX why not provide it only in 55 gal drums? This would have created an environment where it was far more likely to remain undiscovered by those with whom its popularity would be a liablity not an asset. And why go to the trouble of marketing it in smaller portions and at only three places, one of which is not particularly a "car" place (Wal-Mart). Why even bother? According to your theory that becomes a vulnerability. Case in point...I have been "educating" the staffs at Autozone what this stuff is...they had no clue. The last time I bought a case, the clerk said, "Good stuff." Does that mean the secret is getting out or did he just hear that round about beginning with me? I'm telling you, despite the logical pictures you and F1Crazy have drawn, this still doesn't make complete sense.

[ August 26, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Hi,
Castrol is of course now owned by BP

The changeover here in OZ has been a disaster
and I no longer use their excellent diesel oil
RX Super - only their top range gear oils
Syntrax, Syntrans and Transmax Z (ATF)
It is sad to see Castrol go haywire - and so many dedicated people be trashed.
The SLX your talk about has been available here for many years - ex Germany
It has had very limited success and much of it sits on shelves - too dear, poor reports and bad marketing
There are many better products!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back