The German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
Where are you getting this information?

The ILSAC GF-3 fuel economy test procedure says that all oils are tested against the same 5W-30 reference oil, with the various viscosities meeting different percentages of fuel economy improvement. I'd guess the SLX would have little trouble meeting this GF-3 test.

You are absolutely right and I was wrong. I'd read that the reference oil was different for the different grades being tested under Sequence VI B somewhere, but I started digging to find that reference, and discovered that was incorrect.

Nevertheless, the German 0w30 is so close to being a 40 wt, that I doubt it could meet the Sequence VI B fuel economy requirements for a 0w30.

well....it may not at first but, once a few miles are on it, it may start to thin a bit like M1 0w-40 does in order to achieve fuel efficiency and then thicken back up. It still would not get the "starburst" approval, but it would be most likely good enough for those of us looking for protection and fuel efficiency.

Of note...

Ive now got over 1500 miles on my 1st SLX change and the MPG's have been going up slowly but surely. Yesterday, i filled up 5.3 gallons after going 160 miles and thats 30.18 MPG! And this is with highway driving at 80 mph and shifting on average at 4K rpms for city driving. The best ive EVER gotten before was a little over 27MPG with M1 0w-40. Im gonna try again and this "poke" around town for 50 miles and then see what the result is on fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back