Genie unlearns remote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unit is called Silentmax 1000. First is was the wall mounted padlock thingy. I didn't bother troubleshooting or reprogramming that, just let it hang there. I have no clue if it relates to the issue or not, but worth montioning. Now the remote. I click the bottom, the opener gets a signal (light on the head unit shows a RF transmission), but will not respond. At one point, it would close, but not open, then no response at all. Battery--don't think that's the case, the remote works at the distance it is supposed to when fresh reprogrammed.
The odd thing is that the opener won't "forget" the cars, both open and close the door every time. I'm going to program the padlock opener again, see if it stays working, but I give up on the remote, I've reprogrammed it a half a dozen times at least, and it doesn't last but a week or two.
Anyone have any experience with this behavior?

Just a thought I'll pass along that I discovered by accident. Don't try to use LED bulbs in the light sockets of the newer openers. I tried it and neither remote would work. (It would only operate the door by the hardwired wall switch). Some LED's give off electronic interference that causes issues with the remotes. I switched back to CFL's I had in it and it all went away.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Just a thought I'll pass along that I discovered by accident. Don't try to use LED bulbs in the light sockets of the newer openers. I tried it and neither remote would work. (It would only operate the door by the hardwired wall switch). Some LED's give off electronic interference that causes issues with the remotes. I switched back to CFL's I had in it and it all went away.

A garage door tech said NEVER use CFLs in a garage door opener, but LEDs worked fine in my parent's Lift-Master(Chamberlain says they're OK as well) but the vibrations will quickly kill most LED bulbs. Chamberlain does approve of two LED bulbs here for their brands(including Craftsman ones since they build those): https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogresourcesv3/rightnow/rnimages/p2017-14.pdf

I'm trying to find out why a old Genie Pro-95 for my parent's neighbor works just fine with the stock hard-coded remotes but rejects keypads. Homelink works fine too which is baffling. It's one of the older Genies that used an external RF receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back