Garage Door Opener Malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a little update. About two hours after posting this, so roughly two and a half hours after removing the LEDs and thermometer again, my wife came home and the garage door opened with two pushes of her HomeLink. About an hour after that I left to get incandescent bulbs (and some other things) since my anxiousness just won't let this be, and the garage door opened just fine from within the garage. In the driveway to shut the door it took three or four pushes of the HomeLink but it did work. A few hours later I'm pulling back in and with two pushes of the HomeLink the garage opened just fine.

It is definitely seeming like either the bulbs, thermometer or both are the cause of this. The timing is suspect with the brief power loss and and the rash of other complaints, but that is something that will need monitoring. I suppose it's possible that the outage caused a burst of some sort which is why multiple units are experiencing these issues all of a sudden. Or perhaps the digital meters are pushing out just enough frequency to over power the garage frequencies if other factors like LEDs, etc. are also involved.

...and it's not working again. This door will be the death of me ...‚

Just to get the basics out of the way, you do have the wire antenna on the unit uncurled, pointing straight down?

FWIW, a hacker video/paper on openers says one button press sends the open code 5 times.

i think you have to many cooks for supper. dis connect some of the high tech stuff.

Yes, antenna is nice and straight. Last night upon coming home it worked perfectly fine. It also worked this morning without a glitch.

I'm going to have to keep monitor this and see if I can find any trends on when it works and when it doesn't. Chamberlain is suggesting to replace the receiver.

Oddly enough the fan in my furnace was causing my garage door to open and greatly reduce the range of the car mounted openers. I reprogramed the system and it has been good for years now. They are strange critters!

Smoky

So I wanted to update this since a few were monitoring for updates. Since 12/1 the LEDs were out along with the thermometer being moved to the far end of the garage. Starting at approximately 12/3 all glitches stopped. I decided to reintroduce the thermometer variable on 12/16, no glitches have reappeared. I want to reintroduce LEDs just to see what happens, but at this point, I don't care enough since all seems to be operating properly.

So I think one of these three things occurred:

• LEDs started emitting more RF with age.
  • Combination of thermometer and LEDs caused too much interference.
  • Some kind of community disturbance (remember others complained at about the same time I did) occurred which directly interfered with communication OR added just enough RF to "over power" existing RF sources.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and tips so far, it is greatly appreciated!

I texted my buddy on the HOA board to see if he's heard of anyone else having issues recently. Apparently 5-6 people have reported this so far starting about a week and a half ago. We recently switched to digital ComEd meters, I'm curious to know if these units are interfering. The plot thickens.

My parent's Lift-Master works fine with a Landis+Gyr SmartMeter on the side of the garage. Those smart meters communicate over mesh wireless - like wifi but in a different band.

Chamberlain(Lift-Master is just a nicer version of it, and Craftsman is a re-branded one) switched opener frequencies around 2006-2007 to 315MHz to help reduce interference from military radio rebanding. Are you near a military base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back