General Electric couldn’t afford a spell checker?

With most companies, that is 100% inexcusable and shameful. The number of people who review, approve, etc these things at multiple steps along the way can seem crazy and things like this should never get missed. Even when it goes to the place that physically does the printing, they'll do "proof" versions which get checked again before going into full production.

You'd think so. But before the complete rebranding/package redesign of Budge car covers they had errors like "stiched" instead of "stitched" along with other typos. Those mistakes were present for years!

Then you have TYC tail light assemblies that said "TRAIL LAMP" on the package for at least five years. And that's on common domestic pickup truck light assemblies... a common item, so it's not like it was just one little batch.

Those are just to examples. I'm not even going to get into most stuff on Amazon or new items on eBay, they are far worse. But I'm talking name brand items in stores in the US. Absurd that nobody caught it along the way.

A couple years ago Valvoline made a batch of ATF that said GM MERCON and FORD DEXRON on the label. They fixed it quickly (my coworker first noticed that and reported it to them, I don't know if we were the first to report or they already knew) but I still thought it was funny that nobody along the way noticed that. At least one person who works for Valvoline that knows anything about cars should have been able to catch that.

I went to a few months of technical training at GE back in the 1980's. Salem, Virginia. They were at one time the dominant turbine/generator/controls company in the world. I would guess the majority of Americans are still getting their electricity from GE manufactured systems.

I went to a few months of technical training at GE back in the 1980's. Salem, Virginia. They were at one time the dominant turbine/generator/controls company in the world. I would guess the majority of Americans are still getting their electricity from GE manufactured systems.

A lot of what they did was vertical integration where they made as much as they could in-house and divisions worked with each other when it made sense. They were never a steam locomotive manufacturer, but they worked with other diesel engine manufacturers to work with their generation systems until they went into making their own diesel engines. They obviously had experience making reciprocating aircraft engines. Then their diesel engines went into marine applications. Jet engines turned into gas turbine generation, marine power, etc.

I have a certain amount of interest in trains, and one would think that their expertise in electric distribution and electric motors would have made for a great electric train. But the last one they tried to make eventually failed not because of that, but because of mechanical problems that put a speed limit on them for passenger use.

The locomotive was designed to be operated at speeds of up to 120 mph. However, its heavy weight caused the model to lean when operating at speeds in excess of 100 mph, resulting in the locomotive becoming unstable.​
As a result the Federal Railroad Administration limited the E60's top speed to just 90 mph, somewhat crippling its ability as a fast and efficient passenger locomotive.​

Not sure how it works now that it's split up into pieces.

A lot of what they did was vertical integration where they made as much as they could in-house and divisions worked with each other when it made sense. They were never a steam locomotive manufacturer, but they worked with other diesel engine manufacturers to work with their generation systems until they went into making their own diesel engines. They obviously had experience making reciprocating aircraft engines. Then their diesel engines went into marine applications. Jet engines turned into gas turbine generation, marine power, etc.

I have a certain amount of interest in trains, and one would think that their expertise in electric distribution and electric motors would have made for a great electric train. But the last one they tried to make eventually failed not because of that, but because of mechanical problems that put a speed limit on them for passenger use.

The locomotive was designed to be operated at speeds of up to 120 mph. However, its heavy weight caused the model to lean when operating at speeds in excess of 100 mph, resulting in the locomotive becoming unstable.​
As a result the Federal Railroad Administration limited the E60's top speed to just 90 mph, somewhat crippling its ability as a fast and efficient passenger locomotive.​

Not sure how it works now that it's split up into pieces.
I know modern locomotives are A.C. drives utilizing motor-generators. Does GE have a footprint in the business anymore?

I know modern locomotives are A.C. drives utilizing motor-generators. Does GE have a footprint in the business anymore?

They sold the business off to Wabtec. It's still called GE Transportation. But Wabtec doesn't necessarily market the name. I could find this:

I had to go to Home Depot today for something and saw they still had GE branded sealant, but it was made by Henkel.

GE is a registered trademark of General Electric Company and is used under trademark license by Henkel.​
© 2023 Henkel Corp. All rights reserved.​

The plastics division (where Lexan and Silly Putty was developed) was sold off to a Saudi company and they opted not to use the name. However, I've seen a lot of SABIC ads on YouTube.

Doubt it was imported, one only has to look at the spelling on BITOG, and we have the benefit of spell check which didn’t exist when these locomotives were built.

I was using a spell check in the early 1990s with Microsoft Word. It had to be run manually and could take minutes to run for something like an 8 page college essay. Still - someone should have caught "Maintinace".

Even after he retired, my dad used to get an annual calendar from GE; it was illustrated with photos of various GE products like jet aircraft engines, hydroelectric plants, medical facilities, etc as well locomotives from all over the world. Ironically, none of the usual household products we all grew up on. Our house was about 100% GE appliances because my dad got a discount; two TVs, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, electric carving knife, stove, range hood, refrigerator, etc. I'm not even sure how much of that stuff you can get any more with the GE name on it.

Even after he retired, my dad used to get an annual calendar from GE; it was illustrated with photos of various GE products like jet aircraft engines, hydroelectric plants, medical facilities, etc as well locomotives from all over the world. Ironically, none of the usual household products we all grew up on. Our house was about 100% GE appliances because my dad got a discount; two TVs, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, electric carving knife, stove, range hood, refrigerator, etc. I'm not even sure how much of that stuff you can get any more with the GE name on it.

The appliance division was sold to a Chinese company but they still manufacture in the US. A lot of licensing deals like with the GFCI outlet I got. TV and home electronics (including RCA) went to Thomson after the GE/RCA merger. But major appliances still are made with the name and I suppose an indefinite right to license the brand name.

At least one person who works for Valvoline that knows anything about cars should have been able to catch that.
Something like that had to happen at the "printer" and they made a change on their own. The production printing people just hit a "start" button and let it print. The people at the bottling facility aren't looking at things like this either as it's likely very much an automated process with bottles whizzing past them.

This one was delivered to VIA Rail in Canada. They must have insisted on proper spelling, and I guess selling to Canada means they’re worldwide.

VIA_Rail_Canada_900_Builder%27s_Plate-a.jpg

That one is VIA 900, which is still in service. Not sure about the livery though.

via900x.jpg

My grandfather and his father were both engineers at GE. My GG was a very well known name on the hydro-electric side of things and GE has a huge list of patents with his name on them. GE used to be one of, if not the largest employer in the area east of Oshawa (with "The Motors", GM's Oshawa plant being probably similar). First the consumer stuff left, then small motors, then medium motors, then Nuclear merged with Hitachi, then that left, but the operations were taken over by BWXT. The only thing left was large motors, which they then tried to send to Mexico but a few very high dollar jobs got borked at the Mexican factory, and that bought some time for operations up here. It was of course only a matter of time until they tried again, and they went through with it this time.

So, we now have this heavily contaminated large industrial site that's like 3/4 vacant as a reminder that corporate giants have zero loyalty to the communities that host them and they'll gladly send your job to Mexico if it will help their bottom line. I suspect the uptake of anything with the GE name on it is disproportionately low in this area for that reason, not that it matters, given that this stuff has no ties to the actual company anymore.

Slight tangent: The replacement stator for Darlington Unit 3 came from GE's large motors factory in Poland. The original ones were produced here, like 50km from the plant.
1706921052695.jpg

1706921002708.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
I’ve seen a bunch of these builders plates up close and personal when riding Amtrak, but I didn’t notice this big honking spelling error until now. And I found other samples and others (but not all) have “Maintinace Instructions”. Saw it also on some P40DC and Dash-8 builders plates. I guess they were saving money since the i is smaller than an e and they even saved on the costs of printing an n.

6871547365_4f51578ac2_c_d.jpg

2001 ?

Neutron Jack deemed spell check to be highly replaceable, after a 1 year 6 Six Sigma Study.....

Back