General Altimax Arctic vs Michelin Cross Climate 2

Currently the Jetta in my signature has been running on the Generals year 'round since 2015. The car doesn't see that much use so I didn't think it would be worth a dedicated winter/summer set. They still have a lot of tread on them, but they are getting old (2014 date code) and I'm thinking of getting a set of CrossClimate 2's to replace them and make the car a bit nicer to drive in the summer. Of course they're going to be great in the summer compared to the Generals, but how do they compare in the winter? I don't want to sacrifice snow grip as it will be used during the snowiest and coldest days of winter in southern Ontario.

I somewhat have first hand experience in this. My sister ran General Altimax Artics in the winter for 5 winters. This year rather than replace both the all seasons and the winter tires, we elected to get a set of CrossClimate 2s. My sister routinely drives her 2010 Malibu times when they don’t plow roads due to an odd schedule. She noticed no difference between the Artics and the CrossClimate 2s. It’s worth noting that this car used to have Goodyear Comfortred tires for 3 season tires. She once got stuck in a bad snow in those and commented how horrible the car went and how it was sliding all over the place.

Winter traction aside, the CrossClimate 2s are night and day quieter compared to the 6 year old Artics. You’re going to gain a ton of dry and wet traction alone. I’d 100 percent make the switch.

They seem to be the cat's meow right now. A true year round 3 peak rated snow tire with a 60K warranty. Pricey but probably worth it.

Personally I am no fan of Michelin, it has been my experience they age poorly and tread life is so so, very over priced for the name.
I just put the Toyo on one car, they ride smooth, are good in the rain and by all accounts good in the snow.

This guy tested them on an old RWD MB.

General's 3-peak all-season tire is the Altimax 365AW :)

In Canada, you also get a few more options we don't get down in the US

Currently the Jetta in my signature has been running on the Generals year 'round since 2015. The car doesn't see that much use so I didn't think it would be worth a dedicated winter/summer set. They still have a lot of tread on them, but they are getting old (2014 date code) and I'm thinking of getting a set of CrossClimate 2's to replace them and make the car a bit nicer to drive in the summer. Of course they're going to be great in the summer compared to the Generals, but how do they compare in the winter? I don't want to sacrifice snow grip as it will be used during the snowiest and coldest days of winter in southern Ontario.
I live in the GTA and ditched dedicated snows 10+ years ago and NEVER missed them, talked my neighbour into it and he too doesn't miss dedicated snows and he goes to Quebec in the winter. I've had Nokia WG (Michelin was not available in my size at that time) and now Toyo Celcius. Now if you were living in Timmins or Kapuskasing that would be different. Go ahead you won't regret it!

Personally I am no fan of Michelin, it has been my experience they age poorly and tread life is so so, very over priced for the name.
I just put the Toyo on one car, they ride smooth, are good in the rain and by all accounts good in the snow.

This guy tested them on an old RWD MB.

My parents have had them on their Forester for 3 years now, they like them. In about 35k miles they are down near 6-7/32's. We'll see how much they wear this summer and they might run them another winter? I think they will get them again if necessary.
I see the original cross climate+ is pretty cheap at Can tire, and I've seen some ads for the cross climate 2 which have it pretty expensive for an all weather tire... You don't save too much if two sets of specific tires cost the same as one all weather.

Also, consider that General has a all-weather tire also, the Altimax 365AW. After having the CC2's for one winter season, I feel they are over-rated for winter. The long tread blocks that gives it good 3-season capability is the compromise that makes it bad for digging through deep heavy/wet snow, which I see more. Great when the roads are plowed though.

Consumer reports has the Cross Climate 2 equal or better than the general in every measure but ice braking, and rolling resistance. The general is Excellent at ice braking and the cross climate is two steps down at Good. Both have excellent snow traction. Somehow Michelin has figured out how to get both good ice performance and wet pavement grip, while almost every other tire excels at one or the other, but not both, atleast in the consumer reports testing.

I‘ve put 3 winters on a set of Altimax Arctic on the 240 sedan. Many, many trips to Stowe VT in all conditions.

I would buy them again.

The Michelin Defenders that I run spring, summer and fall have been excellent. Quiet, durable, excellent dry and wet road performance.

Over the years, other than price, Michelin’s have been great tires for me. I live in an 120+” per year snow belt area and have used the LTX M/S2, and then the defender…great tires, I know they are not snow tires but have met my needs.

So have been running CrossClimate 2s on my Honda Accord the past few years and have liked them as well, actually thought they would be noises but they are not. Have not used the General Artics…

Thanks for the responses, everyone. The price of the Michelins is really what keeps me from pulling the trigger. The fact that I could get Viking Contact 7's and a decent value all-season for just a bit more than 1 set of CrossClimate 2's is almost not making it seem worth it. Anyway, I've got time 'till next winter to decide.

If you have spare rims then the snows for me are an investment in safety. You plan to use it on the worst days. I have VC7 on both my kids cars for that reason and we have not seen as much snow lately.

I take the initial hit and get spare rims for my cars. I swap out in the driveway after that. All seasons and the newer better 3PMSF work well for many that have never had true winter tires. That one time stopping 20 feet sooner is why I have them. Even with rims over a couple years they are less than my insurance deductible.

I had some Nokian WRG2 as my winter tires on my Corolla that performed better than many trucks with 4WD. They were amazed when I pilled away from them starting at stop lights and on hills.

I ran them in winter only until 6/32" then burned them off for the summer and got new snows the next winter.

Back