Gearwrench vortex passthru tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use them?
They are the passthru socket set.

The last job I did was so tight that the 1/4" saved the day. Used all my strength with the small ratchet to break it free. No room to add a right angle helper.

I went ahead and bought the flex head (891400) when I reinstall the pump. Best price at usatoolwarehose. The ratchets are tiny and very strong.

They are great for tight starter bolts. I used a long box wrench with the 1/4" to break a starter bolt free with no issue. The new flex head should give me more leverage.

I have a bunch of ratchets but they always end up being a tiny tad too bulky. These also apply force very close to the fastener, and there are extensions as well. Also, these are great for long studs.

Last edited:
I have a similar set from Kobalt that I received as a Christmas present from my boss one year. Their biggest drawback is their physical size. In order to have that pass-through design, the ratchet necessarily has to surround the socket, so they end up being too large for many situations for me. I keep them in the basement for projects I work on down there (they usually work good for things like bicycles and other small mechanical projects), but my traditional Craftsman tools are in the garage for vehicle maintenance.

This is the exact set I have. It looks similar to the Gearwrench sets.

thru-ratchet-set.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have a similar set from Kobalt that I received as a Christmas present from my boss one year. Their biggest drawback is their physical size. In order to have that pass-through design, the ratchet necessarily has to surround the socket, so they end up being too large for many situations for me. I keep them in the basement for projects I work on down there (they usually work good for things like bicycles and other small mechanical projects), but my traditional Craftsman tools are in the garage for vehicle maintenance.

This is the exact set I have. It looks similar to the Gearwrench sets.

YMMV. The 1/4 inch with a 10mm or 13mm can go anywhere. The 3/8", you may have a point.

Just curious, do you have a set of ratcheting box wrenches? I was eyeing a set of pass through sockets, but had read (probably here on bitog) that for the most part the pass-throughs are a good compromise between a traditional socket set and ratcheting box wrenches.

Do you think a ratcheting box wrench would have worked in your situation?

I have two sets, still mostly unused. I expected them to be my go-to sockets, since they seemed to avoid the need for shallow, medium and deep sockets. They are beautifully chromed and have smooth ratchets.

But it turns out that my need for deep sockets is quite specific. Most jobs can be handled by a 6-in-1 screwdriver (1/4" and 5/16" / 8mm) and two deep sockets.

But tight access is quite common. Sockets that bulge beyond their natural diameter are a problem. I usually have multiple lengths of wobble extensions at hand, and nothing comparable exists with the pass-through sets.

And, like many others, I increasingly use a battery impact driver whenever possible. It's easier and cheaper to use standard square or hex drive tools than try to use a bulky adapter.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Just curious, do you have a set of ratcheting box wrenches? I was eyeing a set of pass through sockets, but had read (probably here on bitog) that for the most part the pass-throughs are a good compromise between a traditional socket set and ratcheting box wrenches.

Do you think a ratcheting box wrench would have worked in your situation?

I own the ratcheting box wrench set too (not the flex, except for one 18mm to service the T-bird UCAs). Here are the issues:
1) The ratcheting box wrenches are 12 point, so you know the story there
2) In some cases the offset of that ratchet tool is just perfect. it is thinner than most ratchets, and the socket is sunk into the wrench. You may have to cut down a regular socket tool in the tightest of spaces. Working on the cars below they came in very handy. I remember how quickly I got the thermostat off of the V6 Explorer. One of those tools seemed to be made for it.

Ok - on the crown vic and explorer below, to remove those starters many use a bunch of wobbles thru the frame. Not my favorite method because it could be a little off and strip the bolt.

I've done it that way. But the 1/4" with 10/13 mm was able to break and loosen the bolt. To break the bolt I put a helper right angle. Ratchets are very close together too.

If I had the flex adapter (which I'm buying) There would have been enough to ratchet it 30 deg. I have some 1/4" ratchets and sockets and nothing fit. I tried a swivel and it was a tad bit too long.

I don't own 50K worth of snap on tools - maybe there are lower profile/smaller tools that would do the trick. Maybe a wobble and stubby, but in some cases you are increasing length and defeating the purpose.

I have a set of socket type insets that are made to fit into a ratcheting wrench. They are made by craftsman, and I got them on clearance about ten years ago?? They look kinda cheap, and are 12pt, but a few times they have really been useful. They add enough offset to get the bulk of a ratcheting wrench out of the way, and are 1/2 to 1/3 the depth of a socket and driver.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
I have a set of socket type insets that are made to fit into a ratcheting wrench. They are made by craftsman, and I got them on clearance about ten years ago?? They look kinda cheap, and are 12pt, but a few times they have really been useful. They add enough offset to get the bulk of a ratcheting wrench out of the way, and are 1/2 to 1/3 the depth of a socket and driver.

This is like the set I have. Mine are metric. I tend to leave them in my non-flex ratcheting wrenches, first the offset is pretty nice most of the time. Secondly, it makes keeping up with them easier.

a068175141f63d3bac5c201d27a6857d.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I don't get it. Shouldn't the top hex be identical on all these sockets for the ratchet to hook up?

No, they are the same ID as OD, so they fit in their respective wrenches.

Oh, you use them instead of very low profile socket. But this does seem like extremely peculiar case where regular socket is too deep but the wrench hits something else aka you need the exact height of the socket.

Am I mistaken?

Yes, only a few times where I've had to use them instead of something else. They were cheap and on clearance when I got them, so I think they have paid for themselves. It is a very low profile ratchet set up, with minimal offset.

I got a stanley passthrough socket from walmart on clearance it comes in handy, its a good addition to my tool set the extensions are impossible to use in tight spaces though.

I have an older version of the GearWrench pass-through set. For some jobs where a ratcheting box-end wrench won't fit on a recessed fastener but a regular or deep socket/wrench is too bulky, these work well. I did have an issue with the ratchets freezing on me. GearWrench sent out replacements free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back