Alternative to Gearwrench 81012P 1/4" Ratchet

I don't think you can go wrong with a Snap-on TF72, Once broke-in good they have pretty low back-drag. The only "Dual 80" (72 tooth actual) ratchet I've broke was Extra Long Handle TLLF72 doing struts on Honda's through the little access doors in the cowl....And I was really pulling on it!

Ok I finally have a suggestion that meets OP's criteria: the TONE RH2FHL. In this listing you've got to select the part # from the pull down menu:

172mm length should put it right around 6.75" OAL which I believe OP's GW was/is

I only own one TONE product and it's the 3/8" anvil in their stubby, compact 1/4" body. Incredibly handy when ya gotta have it. Action is fantastic, backdrag is really low even when new.

AFAIK you can get TONE rebuild kits for any of their stuff, but it might have to ship from JP

edit: the one bummer might be it looks like the flex head has detents, but if you don't like that I've always figured you could just remove the spring and ball??

I have a Gearwrench 81012p 1/4" flex-head ratchet that works well for my applications, but doesn't seem to last very long before the internals get fubared. The sizing is perfect for my needs.

View attachment 88933

Do Snap-On/Matco make anything that is remotely similar? All of the Snap-On Dual 80 1/4" ratchets appear to have a much larger head. I am not familiar with Matco's line-up.

Thanks!
The Nepros NBR290F is also a good alternative. With Snap on the switch lever is proud on the body (some people actually prefer that), the Nepros is similar to the Gearwrench which is recessed but the quality is so much better.

Not cheap but a top quality tool is the Proto J5249HTCF, 90 tooth. It's just over 7.5" in overall length. The Proto J4750HTCF is about 9" long. Buy once cry once. Snap On and Nepros are good choices too.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I think I'm just going to keep rebuilding this ratchet ($11/ea time) and keep using it. However I will buy a different, longer 1/4" ratchet and look elsewhere for that one.

I think I'm just going to keep rebuilding this ratchet ($11/ea time) and keep using it. However I will buy a different, longer 1/4" ratchet and look elsewhere for that one.
We want to know what you get!

Maybe try cleaning all the metal wear in remnants and re-lube after the wrench is broken in after a few weeks. I picked this up from this tool reviewer. @9:30

7B58935A-08BE-401B-8FF8-2B8A65188EF8.jpeg

Took it apart and did not find anything wrong. Seemed like it was just binding due to lack of lube?

I went ahead and installed a rebuild kit anyway. This time I used plenty of Permatex assembly lube.

We want to know what you get!
57E38B44-A436-4156-9716-B2691904D361.jpeg

Shortly after this thread was posted, I did pickup a TLLF72. It has already come in handy several times in tight spots requiring leverage…such as K24 belt tensioner bolts. Wish I bought one years ago.

Wheel bearing grease doesn't work in these ratchets; it's far too thick. I let mine soak in Mobil Jet
I’ve never touched any of my ratchets with lube. All work fine, but now that you say it, I’m going to open up my Snap-On one and add a few drops of bike lube - DuMonde Tech chain lube.

Back