1/4" torque wrench upgrade?

I have an old Proto 1/4" torque wrench which is accurate and in great shape but it has a fixed (non-ratcheting) head. Functionally perfect but a real PITA in use. I hate to get rid of something so reliable but I'd love to upgrade to a ratchet. What would be a good option? I'd like to keep with this level of quality. I have a Matco 1/2" which has served well. Seems like a lot of decent lower cost options these days, though, as well. Any experience with Tekton? I have some of their hand tools which seem to be high quality and have had good experience with their customer service in the past.

Tekton is pretty good.... think they have 15-150 or 20-200 inch pounds for $50... check Amazon
Kobalt Lowes has the 50-250 inch pounder. They can also order Capri.
Husky Homedepot has some options too. They can also get the Tektons.
And, there's the Pittsburgh at Harborfreight.

Really comes down to how often you use it and its frequency of use, and if you need brand bragging rights or not.

I needed a 1/4 to install a plastic valve cover and knew it would see little use. I went for the BiDi version of the Tekton on Amazon for $50. It is a clicker so you have to remember to set the thing at the lowest setting when storing it away.

I bought a harbor freight torque wrench and checked it against another brand. They seamto be just as accurate based on feel.

Of all the torque wrenches to not cheap out on, I’d argue the 1/4 is most important.

Nothing is really going to care when a big threaded item is off by a few foot pounds. But small fasteners for small, finely made, critical items I’d want to do with a lot better accuracy.

Of all the torque wrenches to not cheap out on, I’d argue the 1/4 is most important.

Nothing is really going to care when a big threaded item is off by a few foot pounds. But small fasteners for small, finely made, critical items I’d want to do with a lot better accuracy.
The accuracy is in %. A 1/4 in lb wrench isn‘t gong to be off by ft lbs of torque. I have PI for the larger more used ranges and where they are split beam. I think clickers lose accuracy over time.

The accuracy is in %. A 1/4 in lb wrench isn‘t gong to be off by ft lbs of torque. I have PI for the larger more used ranges and where they are split beam. I think clickers lose accuracy over time.
You missed the point.

Inaccuracy by some amount on a big fastener doesn’t necessarily matter a lot.

But for a very sensitive fastener, low pullout strength, weak female thread materials, with a low in-lb requirement, you sure want to be spot on. A cheaper wrench has less of a chance of being spot on because of quality of manufacture and traceability of calibration.

Back