GDI and the "Eco" button. Counterproductive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read on countless forums how people employ the "Italian Tune-up" to blow deposits out the tail pipe. I have also read how high Calcium additives in certain motor oils may contribute to pre ignition while in low RPM/high load situations, which may also be affected by oil dilution. Wouldn't using the Eco function make things worse since it basically keeps you in that low RPM mode.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, don't you think they test that sort of thing?

Eco modes generally just change the throttle sensitivity, but YMMV for each manufacturer.

We really don't know other than what we assume from reading articles what the problem exactly is.

I'm wondering where you read that high calcium contributes to pre ignition? Unless the oil is leaking past the rings, the oil and the ignition are completely separate events.

edit: It's a tough one but I had to do it: cynicism

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm wondering where you read that high calcium contributes to pre ignition? Unless the oil is leaking past the rings, the oil and the ignition are completely separate events.

edit: It's a tough one but I had to do it: cynicism

PCV. Direct injection engines suffer worse from oil making it into intake manifold and onto the valves, but it's an issue with many PCV systems regardless of injection type.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Quite a few papers on the subjet. Here are two...

www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/

OP, don't worry about it. Only first year Veloster Turbo may have suffered from this, and some Subie owners feel this may be the cause for a recent recall. I wouldn't worry at all with the non-turbo 2.4L.

I've seen the SAE Paper, not the Chevron one. Thanks.

yes Kuato, 'cynicism'...sorry about that.

Well, I am cynical, too. I find it rather ironic that, at least looking at conventional wisdom, or even if you want to call it unconventional wisdom or questionable advice, is that one buys a GDI and this is supposed to assist fuel economy, yet the way to keep it running effectively is to drive it in the fashion that uses as much fuel as is possible.

My wife keeps the Eco function on in the Santa Fe 2.0T. When it was me who drove it, it would get 17-18 mpg (sans Eco and driven hard). She gets a steady 20.8 with a light foot. Although 95% of the driving has always been short trips and in heavy city traffic, that difference is a wash in my opinion, as it's more a product of driving style. But, as many things in life, the impression she's getting better fuel economy is enough for her and many other owners.

As for LSPI, I've got more Mobil 1 on hand than anything else. Its typically a low Ca oil. But that was just coincidence as AutoZone had tons of it on clearance the last two 'end of year sales.' It will get some Pennzoil Platinum Ultra in the future though (also in the stash) and i won't look back.

Fuel?
Owners Manual recommends Top Tier and 87 octane for both...

We always use Top Tier.
2.0T - 89 or 93 octane 80% / 87 octane 20% of the time
2.4L - 87 octane

My wife drives the SFS 2.0T 99% of the time and HATES the eco button--I asked her to leave the eco "on" for a couple weeks and before a week was up she was begging me to let her turn it off. She didn't like the way the vehicle performed (lacked power and seemed to be louder). My wife isn't a "car person", but obviously noted a difference. Eco has been "off" ever since that little experiment.

As for fuel, we run 87 octane only with no problems. On a highway trip at 65 mph, we average about 28 mpg (on-board computer).

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is my oil of choice. . . no LSPI evident so far.

Yeah Robster, good stuff. We may adopt your pragmatic approach and stop with our overly cautious ways. The vehicle feels the same, 87 or 93.

On our Hyundai's the ECO button affects the A/C and transmission. Upshifting sooner, etc under normal throttle conditions. According to the Hyundai field tech anyways. He said that it doesn't do anything with the timing or engine operation.

We've tested ours. With it on for a week and off for a week on a couple occasions. Seems to only be about 1 mpg difference per the computer not hand calculations.

I keep the ECO off - only because when it's on, a green lit "ECO" comes on in the instrument cluster and it's annoying to me.
It's kinda bright at night too = more annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back