GC and Syntec the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking at a couple of posts, it seems to this old cowboy that GC 0w-30 (04) appears to be the same thing as Syntec 0w-30.

I go the info from the VOA library for Syntec and the VOA comparing 04 and 05 GC.

I realize that the common wisdom says Syntec is group III and GC is PAO, but the add packs seem to be the same.

Did I misread it?
dunno.gif

Thanx

Bob W.

You have misread something. GC is the German made Syntec (0w-30). The U.S. made Syntec is different. For example, the U.S. Syntec has moly while GC does not. What you have noticed is a similarity in the add packs between the 04 GC and the 05 GC. However, the 05 GC has more magnesiun and less calcium than the 04 GC.

...and don't forget the neat ester oils that seem to be a bit different than locally available oils, and ...it's green!

PS. I forgot to mention the better wear numbers.

BtB

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
You have misread something. GC is the German made Syntec (0w-30). The U.S. made Syntec is different. For example, the U.S. Syntec has moly while GC does not. What you have noticed is a similarity in the add packs between the 04 GC and the 05 GC. However, the 05 GC has more magnesiun and less calcium than the 04 GC.

Well, I think I know what happened: the VOA library has listed it as "Castrol Syntec 0w-30" with no mention that it was GC. I missed the notation that it was "full synthetic". So, I think I was looking at two different samples of GC 04, which show virtually identical add packs, and not US Syntec and GC.

Thanx for clearing it up.

pat.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back