Composite Analysis of GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by carpy:
I can confirm it was "made in Germany".

You can confirm the label said that, but I suspect the new brown M05 0w30 stuff is not made in Germany, despite the label saying so. Perhaps (if we're lucky) they are only substituting different stuff for a short time, then will go back to the green?

Like I said before, Terry has already told us the green stuff he is getting chemically broken down is primarily PAO with some very trick esters in it. Not group three. So the stuff you've tested is not the real GC we've been using (with excellent results I must add) but an imposter.

For more proof, could you post up the VOA for us? As soon as we see the viscosity, plus the levels of additives in it, we'll know it's not the real GC, as we can compare it to previous VOAs posted on here.

Carpy, please just ask the chemist who did the test what color it was. The latest has been amber but GC has a definite green tint depending on how the light hits it.

quote:

Originally posted by carpy:
I can confirm it was "made in Germany". I cannot confirm the date or date code. I purchased it 10 days ago, and gave the lab the unopened bottle, which is no longer available. As far as motives, I have stated said I preferred the SM/GF4 Warren supertech to any product,... no motive here.

This "test" means absolutely NOTHING. How can it when we don't even know for sure what was tested? I have heard of blind tests, but this is nuts. No conclusions can be drawn if we cannot confirm what has been tested.

quote:

Why the obvious attempt to slam GC? This makes me question your motives. If you have no hidden ajenda or motives, please accept my apology.

I don't think Carpy is "Slamming" anything... just stating what he found.

Personally, if GC generates good wear numbers and demonstates good TBN retention, I could care less if it was 99% Group I. Carpy stated it is Group III with esters and robust additive package. How is that a "slam"?

quote:

This "test" means absolutely NOTHING. How can it when we don't even know for sure what was tested? I have heard of blind tests, but this is nuts. No conclusions can be drawn if we cannot confirm what has been tested.

What did Terry test? What lab did the testing?

I am not questioning ANYONES credibility... I am just curious as to why all of you guys will believe Terry or Molekule like thier word is gospel, but discredit everyone else. Terry and Molekule are a great asset to this site, but has it ever occured to anyone that others can make valuable contributions as well?

I do not see anything in Carpy's post saying GC is "junk", or not worth using, so what are you guys getting so upset about?
confused.gif

You GC fanatics are a bit out line here....in my honest opinion. PScholte, I think your attack was uncalled for.

Carpy gave us some valuable information on Mobil's new line of oils and we gave him $hit! He turned out to be right and we looked like idiots. I think we need to step back, absorb the info and make decisions according to YOUR own judgement. Attacks and defensiveness is not needed or wanted!
thumbsdown.gif

Seems funny that a analysis like this is done and the technician does not even record the date code from the bottle, or would this sort of record keeping not be the norm.

In any event whatever the composition of the real GC is, I let the UOA speak for themselves, and of course Terry D in the near future!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Like others have suggested, the test must've been done on some of the M05 brown stuff, or perhaps on the older yellow label stuff. Terry's test is definitely on the real GC and he's already told us there is no group 3 in it.

To me, no matter what the results would be, I'd still use it, since my UOAs with this oil have been awesome.

This is exactly what I think has happened. Carpy has given us a UOA for the latest "made in Germany but cannot be sold there" formulation, or possibly but less likely the older stuff, while Terry has the "correct" green stuff.

We all know the 02-04 oil was good. A lot of us have run it with great results. But I'd be leary about running the new stuff the same distance and expecting the same given it's change in composition. I'll let someone else try it first...
wink.gif

[ March 31, 2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

I do not see anything in Carpy's post saying GC is "junk", or not worth using, so what are you guys getting so upset about?
confused.gif

That's the nature of sacred cows. People get mad when someone points out they're really just cattle...

wink.gif

Thanks Carpy!
cheers.gif
Excellent info. Like glxpassat said, if it is at all possible to note the color it would be helpfull to the fanatics here
wink.gif
. I don't doubt yours or Terry's analysis. Just shows it's not here to stay. Which is why I never did try it.
Come on guys how can you say there is a motive? A Mobil employee saying GC is better than Mobil7500! All he said was the sample *he had* was not what we thought it to be.
Then in another post he said the best value now that SM is out is regular "dino" oils and he uses supertech!! And basically told us regular M1 is not really worth the money anymore since SM! This is a Mobil employee posting in a public forum...you would think he could have his nuts in a vise for this but he is still telling us like it is!

I don't intend to perpetuate this...but are you guys actually READING what he said and which I restated to support my comments? There are clearly comments intended to bash Castrol's products and the people on this board who take issue with that practice. Again, look at the response it generated from newguy. There is no sacred cow here...I love my GC but I am not foolish enough, despite all the "in good fun" stuff I write, to make it a personal issue. I smell Castrol bashing and even though I am loyal only to the Elves--not to Castrol--I think it is a pepetuation of uncalled for aspersions that reappear periodically on this board. So it is alright to bash Castrol and that's fair but if I politely point out that I suspect something about veiled or openly critical comments from a Mobil employee, that is not right? I see nothing in anything any of you have written to cause me to question the validity of what I said or my propriety in the way I said it...maybe if Mobil products had their own forum on this board this would never have appeared?
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks for giving us the information Carpy
smile.gif

If you are going to be angry, be angry at Castrol, because they are the ones who slipped in a Group III in place of their original synthetic product, and then Castrol does not know anything about two separates types of 0W-30 Syntec on the shelves of NA...
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:
If you are going to be angry, be angry at Castrol, because they are the ones who slipped in a Group III in place of their original synthetic product, and then Castrol does not know anything about two separates types of 0W-30 Syntec on the shelves of NA...
rolleyes.gif

I rest my case.

I have just a few questions:

Carpy, just exactly who do you work for?

Please don't tell me you work directly for Mobil and state that Warren Super Tech oil is best.

What lab actually did this test. The Mobil Field Research Lab use to be in Dallas, as my Dad worked there for 40 years.

If you do work directly for Mobil and Mobil did this testing, I won't say you slambed Castrol, but I do believe what you did is not ethical.

I agree, all major oil companies test the competitors products to see what they are doing, but I'm sure not going to post on this board or anywhere else what I know about Mobil or anyone else. I don't want to spend the next 5 years in court.

Carpy's remarks may seem a bit self serving. If, however it's the latest gold issue and if that's also what we're going to see from here on out, then the info is good and relative to current and future supplies. Is anyone sure whether the gold or green is going to be what Castrol will be selling in NA for the forseeable future? Should I care about the green if I can't buy it? As far as using Warren oil; If he doesn't like extended OCI's, why can't he feel that it's all he needs and saves some dough? I assume he also knows what's in that oil. We can assume he tested the gold which we know is different than the green. We can also hope that the green will return in force. It's not his fault that Castrol put gold on shelves but it might not be a coincidense that gold was tested.

[ March 31, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: goodvibes ]

Thanks go out to Carpy for taking the time to do something to answer the questions about this German made product. If anyone else on this forum had this capability I'm certain that they too would go to Wal-Mart or their favorite autoparts store and buy bottles off of the shelf and have their laboratory analyze the contents. It's funny how after several years nobody else on this forum has done such a thing..... especially free of charge. And now when someone does do it they have to get ridiculed because the results weren't what we wanted to hear.

It's sad that people are so hung up on their own ideas of what this product should be that they close their eyes to the possibility that it may not be such a product. The oil seems to work great in the vehicles that it has been tested in so why is there such a religious commitment to the fact that it must be something better than a GP3 oil?

Guys,,, there's absolutely no reason for a thread to toss negative attitudes on fellow board members in this manner. We're simply dividing this forum and when that happens we all lose! Information is knowledge,, and knowldege is power. We can't pick and choose what we want the truth to be. This is just one more bit of data to log and eventually we'll have all of the pieces to a much larger puzzle. Don't let the closed minds lose the critical pieces that we need to finish this game.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I don't intend to perpetuate this...but are you guys actually READING what he said and which I restated to support my comments? There are clearly comments intended to bash Castrol's products and the people on this board who take issue with that practice. Again, look at the response it generated from newguy. There is no sacred cow here...I love my GC but I am not foolish enough, despite all the "in good fun" stuff I write, to make it a personal issue. I smell Castrol bashing and even though I am loyal only to the Elves--not to Castrol--I think it is a pepetuation of uncalled for aspersions that reappear periodically on this board. So it is alright to bash Castrol and that's fair but if I politely point out that I suspect something about veiled or openly critical comments from a Mobil employee, that is not right? I see nothing in anything any of you have written to cause me to question the validity of what I said or my propriety in the way I said it...maybe if Mobil products had their own forum on this board this would never have appeared?
wink.gif
cheers.gif

While I think Carpy has posted some great information, and I agree he hasn't gotten a fair chance from some people, you'd have to be kidding your self if you think this post isn't biased. Saying such a thing without even any visual evidence or confirmation that it's the correct oil , one should expect such a response.

-T

"Panic on the streets of London, panic on the streets of Birminghmam..." The Smiths.

No need to panic. Carpy has probably had the M05 version tested, which as anyone who follows this forum knows, is not the GREEN oil but the AMBER oil. Carpy could simply ask the technician what colour the oil was, or see if he recorded the batch number. Failing that, I suppose he could do this again with a batch that is definitely M04 or earlier and confirmed green. Failing that we already have confirmation from Terry that the oil he tested is primarily PAO (Group IV or higher) with complex esters, and we know that Terry tested green oil, not amber.

Someone posted on here as to why Terry's word should be taken as gospel etc etc etc. One reason that immediately springs to mind is that Terry doesn't work for a competitor of Castrol, or any oil company as far as I can figure. Hence, he'd have no reason to post anything but the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back