Interesting piece on XOM's Racing Formulations

This is an article based off the video shared a few weeks ago.

I've read many articles over the years about M1 and racing. From Rusty Wallace using 0w2 qualifying oils back in 2005 to now this:

"The new Mobil 1 oil is particularly intriguing because ExxonMobil made a big push in evaluating chemicals not traditionally used in engine products to help deliver the step.

The end result is an oil that features components normally used in the cosmetics industry, but are now being utilised to help improve the oil's protective film that it leaves on metal parts. This saves the engine from damage caused by extreme heat and wear."

"The cosmetics industry offers many unique naturally-derived components and we had to evaluate a range of similar products before selecting the best.

"These new components were incorporated as they were found to offer many benefits, including stronger interactions with metal surfaces and lower friction, helping deliver maximum power while offering protection and fuel efficiency."

"Some elements of the chemical composition of our new engine oil are a departure from what we would normally formulate a product with.

"What was a long shot a few years ago - a vision of a low ash, high temperature, low friction engine oil that incorporates bio-based components became a reality this year, thanks to the efforts of our whole team, in collaboration with Honda and Red Bull."

Last edited:
that’s nice but isn’t this news a tad heavy on greenwashing hype? the last time that i checked on it, petroleum “incorporates bio-based components.” cheers.

that’s nice but isn’t this news a tad heavy on greenwashing hype? the last time that i checked on it, petroleum “incorporates bio-based components.” cheers.
Nah I don't think so. The article is about finding new additives, unexpectedly in the cosmetics industry, that gave surprisingly good results to the F1 team they work with.

i wonder if the additive is derived from palm oil? it is the world’s most efficiently produced vegetable oil at 3.3 metric tons/hectare versus canola’s 0.7. it is found in just about every cosmetic as a lubricant and foaming agent, as well as in many foods.

i wonder if the additive is derived from palm oil? it is the world’s most efficiently produced vegetable oil at 3.3 metric tons/hectare versus canola’s 0.7. it is found in just about every cosmetic as a lubricant and foaming agent, as well as in many foods.
Good question and XOM wouldn't reveal what they had found. I do see a trend in using bio-based products in oils.

What I couldn't believe was the oil temp these cars run. 575F. Dang.

Attachments

• th-4255487296.jpg
    th-4255487296.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 7
Back