GC Gold Group III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I will tell you guys what (and the Elves are in complete agreement with me on this), IF Castrol has slipped in a Group III formulation for GC, then when my supply is gone...it's gone. (I am not dissing Group III formulations, but the surreptitious nature of the marketing...and the cost being levied.) But I will tell you what I think is going on. I think, despite its "trick" formula, Green GC is "last year's formulation," and that the Gold is newer, more expensive technology, hence the temporary price increase to over $5. I think what then happened is Castrol felt like the price increase was "too much information" and attention to the appearance of the new formula and so they backed off. Please also note that though the $3.99/qt sales were coming fast and furious before Gold GC appeared, there has not been one that I can recall since. I propose they are not keen on selling their more expensive Euro formulas, particularly The Gold, at $3.99. (Before you say, "Who would know?" I think many of you don't give enough credit to the impact that the GC craze has had on Castrol sales and to who watches the traffic on this board and knows what is happening and why. I believe Castrol knows full well what is going on.) You have got to keep in mind, that while Castrol will enjoy selling all the GC they can, they CANNOT afford to allow an "underground communications system" to develop that says, GC and BC are good stuff but stay away from the rest of the Syntec line. It's not the same stuff." They cannot afford a perception gap between the products...hence the misinformation about all Syntec 0W-30 being the same.) They should, however, realize by now...that they are fighting an uphill battle to keep this suppressed.) This is my best guess.

[ May 07, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Being this PAO is that "special and exotic", I don't know how they are making this oil for $5qt. The other Syntec prices are the same. Some kind of deal or something.....

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Being this PAO is that "special and exotic", I don't know how they are making this oil for $5qt. The other Syntec prices are the same. Some kind of deal or something.....

I asked Castrol two basic questions last week. The first was "Is USA Syntec 0w-30 the same oil as German Castrol 0w-30?" and the second was "Does Syntec 0w-30 meet the GM 6094 standard?"

Here is the reply:

"The North American Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 offers the same performance as the German SYNTEC 0W-30. Performance attributes are clearly demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals indicated for each of our individual product offerings.

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics. The performance specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards."

Talk about double-speak....

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back