Let's embrace the gold GC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was illegal to market GIII oils as synthetic in Europe, so can GC be GIII if it's a European oil?

Here is some information that Quattro Pete post about Long Tec last year:

Visc@100 C 12,2 mm2/sVisc@40 C 72,0 mm2/sHTHS@150 C 3,5 mPasTBN 10,3 mg KOH/gPour Point -54 CFlash Point 234 CDensity@15C 838 kg/m3Sulphated Ash 1.0%Visc CCS at -35°C 5800 mPa.s

quote:

Originally posted by Twilight_Blue_G35c:
I thought it was illegal to market GIII oils as synthetic in Europe, so can GC be GIII if it's a European oil?

In German you differentiate between "vollsynthetisch" (=full-synthetic, "lab-made" G IV+) and teilsynthetisch (=part-synthetic, G III). The German TDS for SLX LongTec 0W-30 calls it "vollsynthetisch", so it can't be a G III oil.

quote:

Originally posted by baloo:

quote:

Originally posted by Twilight_Blue_G35c:

In German you differentiate between "vollsynthetisch" (=full-synthetic, "lab-made" G IV+) and teilsynthetisch (=part-synthetic, G III). The German TDS for SLX LongTec 0W-30 calls it "vollsynthetisch", so it can't be a G III oil.

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by baloo:

And what do you call a mix of Group III and Group IV+?

I pulled this from the Polish Castrol site. I know it may be different in Germany, but they should have followed the same EU classification:
code:

Fully synthetic motor oils:

SLX LongTec

SLX Longlife II

SLX LL01 FE

SLX LL04 SAE 0W-30

TWS Motorsport

RS 0W-40

TXT Softec Plus

TXT Softec Plus A1

TXT Softec LL01

TXT 505.01

GTX Magnatec 5w-30

GTX Magnatec 5w-40

GTD Magnatec 5w-40

Part-synthetic motor oils:

GTX Magnatec 10W-40

GTD Magnatec 10W-40

GTX Magnatec 5w-30/5w-40 per its TDS is made of synthetic base and highly refined mineral oil (Group III), yet they put it in the full-synthetic category along with SLX LongTec.
From this classification it looks that a mix of Group III and Group IV+ is still considered "full synthetic" by Castrol, whereas Group III alone is considered part-synthetic (GTX/GTD Magnatec 10w-40).

Just food for thought...
smile.gif

[ April 07, 2005, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

If it meets the MB 229.5 spec, then fuel efficiency should be improved over the current formulation. That seems to be one of the few negative comments from folks switching from Mobil 1 to the GC, 0w-30.

MB 229.5 requires a fuel savings of at least 1.8%, compared to a 15w-40 Reference Lubricant.

TS

quote:

And what do you call a mix of Group III and Group IV+?

Probably it depends on how much of each is in there? For example, the German Castrol website calls Castrol GTX9 Magnatec SAE 5W-30 "HC-Syntheseöl." It doesn't say whether it's simply a Group III oil or if it also contains any Group IV or V oil. I suppose an oil can be called "Voll-Synthese" only if a, to us unknown, minimum percentage of the content is Group IV and up.

Hi

I just completed a 7k oci with green . The lab suggested going 8k next time.

Is it still advisiable to go 7-8k with what now may just be just grp III ?

I am almost out of green and have 9qts of gold. Is the time for switching back to M1 at hand?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by lght1:
Hi

I am almost out of green and have 9qts of gold. Is the time for switching back to M1 at hand?

The new stuff is not group 3! There is no way it would pass the specs that it does, plus no group 3 oil would be allowed to be called full synthetic in Europe. It's a pretty safe bet that we can say the new gold GC is indeed Europe's SLX Longtec.

So continue using GC, and you're still safe to continue with 7-8k intervals.

Don't the bottles still have the disclaimer that they can't be sold outside of North America?

quote:

Originally posted by B00SS:
Patman, if this is true, what did carpy test? He said it was made in Germany.

He definitely did not test out German made Castrol 0w30, despite what he claims. It must've been older US made Syntec 0w30.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Hi

The new stuff is not group 3! There is no way it would pass the specs that it does, plus no group 3 oil would be allowed to be called full synthetic in Europe. It's a pretty safe bet that we can say the new gold GC is indeed Europe's SLX Longtec.

Don't the bottle still have the disclaimer that they can't be sold outside of North America?

That labelling is on all of Castrol's oils I believe, and has more to do with the packaging than anything else. Just like when you buy a box of 12 individually wrapped twinkies and the label says not for individual sale. It's just a legal thing, it doesn't mean that they've got group three oil inside of it so that is why they say it's not to be sold outside of NA.

I believe what is happening is simple. Castrol is bringing over their European line of oils which have to meet demanding specs, more specifically the ACEA A3 for the VW crowd. 5w-40 Belgian stuff is now available also. I think Patman is right, the GC05 is PAO/Ester still. Just a different additive package.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I believe what is happening is simple. Castrol is bringing over their European line of oils which have to meet demanding specs, more specifically the ACEA A3 for the VW crowd. 5w-40 Belgian stuff is now available also. I think Patman is right, the GC05 is PAO/Ester still. Just a different additive package.

Hear! Hear! The Elves believe there is hope for you yet Buster...they call you Herr Buster which I think sounds pretty funny!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Hear! Hear! The Elves believe there is hope for you yet Buster...they call you Herr Buster which I think sounds pretty funny!
grin.gif

Lets hope you guys are correct. How about one of you trusting souls run it 10K miles and do a UOA?
grin.gif

quote:

Hi

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I am going to laugh so hard if we find out latter that Castrols is now bottleing "Good and Cheap" Semi-Synthetic from Germany as their 0W30 made in Germany here int he USA now that it 9is a golden color!

I know that what I propose above is highly unlikely but what makes it funny is that we would never know and it could still say made in Germany on the label!! It is not like Castrol has not done this before!!! While I have 2 quarts of GC in my Camry right now I am glad I am not counting on it as my oil!!!

JB,

The Elves told me to tell you that you still "need some work," but they haven't given up on you yet!
wink.gif
cheers.gif

I am going to laugh so hard if we find out latter that Castrols is now bottleing "Good and Cheap" Semi-Synthetic from Germany as their 0W30 made in Germany here int he USA now that it 9is a golden color!

I know that what I propose above is highly unlikely but what makes it funny is that we would never know and it could still say made in Germany on the label!! It is not like Castrol has not done this before!!! While I have 2 quarts of GC in my Camry right now I am glad I am not counting on it as my oil!!!

any new GC UOAs that are posted should state if it is the gold or green so we can see. some may have not picked up that it's actually green. I know hard to believe. say you got the goldd GC stuff and you poured it in thinking it supposed to be gold.

quote:

GTX Magnatec 5w-30/5w-40 per its TDS is made of synthetic base and highly refined mineral oil (Group III), yet they put it in the full-synthetic category along with SLX LongTec.

Are not most true Synthetic Oils (engine or gear) PAO Group IV/V basestocks with a GII/III carrier oil for the AW/EP/FM packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back