GC 0w30 queston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spected for 5w30.....0w30 will work....and it might give you smoother start-up in those cold NH winters./

Note: Will be putting in M-1 0w20...next oil change

SLeep well at night...
happy2.gif

Thanks everyone, would you guys say this would be a good oil to stick to in my car? i have been running m1 afe in my 2010 legacy with good results, which would be a better choice???

I like the GC. I think the next logical step up from there is Mobil 1 0w40. Those are both the best bang for the buck oils available, especially on sale.

Originally Posted By: trabuccomlfrd
Originally Posted By: Josh48065
^^^ redline
wink.gif

what exactly is so special about redline?

I was kinda kidding half not. haha. Some may think it as overkill, but if you look at the VOA's. Redline is loaded with moly and zinc and is extremely shear stable with fantastic cleaning abilities. Some say it has increased their gas mileage to almost cover the extra cost. (Amazon reviewers) Well..Im just the type that rather spends the extra 15$ to make sure im absolutly using the best products I can. Especially since I can easily run it 6k in my mazda and that will last me half a year, so it really doesn't break the bank for me lol.
smile.gif

Edit..I didn't notice how new your car was, I dont think using this oil will be covered in your warranty.

Last edited:
Unless GC has been changed lately, it is still SL rated. While I prefer this rating for my oils, the warranty on the newer cars might be in danger if something were to happen to their engine's internals. I would use a warranty approved oil while my car is in warranty.

Subaru allows for the use of SL oils in 2.5s at least until 2009, according to the OM for our's.
To the OP, I ran GC in the Forester for 20K, including three winters, and it seemed perfectly fine for the engine.
I've since gone to a thinner and cheaper oil, since GC is probably overkill for an NA Subaru.
There are some good UOAs here that show that a thinner oil will hold up perfectly well in an NA 2.5, which brings into question that bit of Subaru lore that they require thicker oil.
Now, the turbos are a whole 'nother matter.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Unless GC has been changed lately, it is still SL rated. While I prefer this rating for my oils, the warranty on the newer cars might be in danger if something were to happen to their engine's internals. I would use a warranty approved oil while my car is in warranty.

both of my legacys are out of their warranty (3yr/36k miles)

Originally Posted By: trabuccomlfrd
^^^ redline
wink.gif

what exactly is so special about redline?

I was kinda kidding half not. haha. Some may think it as overkill, but if you look at the VOA's. Redline is loaded with moly and zinc and is extremely shear stable with fantastic cleaning abilities. Some say it has increased their gas mileage to almost cover the extra cost. (Amazon reviewers) Well..Im just the type that rather spends the extra 15$ to make sure im absolutly using the best products I can. Especially since I can easily run it 6k in my mazda and that will last me half a year, so it really doesn't break the bank for me lol.
smile.gif

Edit..I didn't notice how new your car was, I dont think using this oil will be covered in your warranty.

both my warranties are up, where can i buy redline??

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Spected for 5w30.....0w30 will work....and it might give you smoother start-up in those cold NH winters./

Note: Will be putting in M-1 0w20...next oil change

You do realize this 0W30 is thicker than most conventional 5W30 oils at startup--and much thicker at operating temp.

For the NA, I'd use a thinner oil. I don't see a benefit to using an oil that thick in that engine. As another stated, with the turbo it would be a different story. Different engine, different requirements.

Red Line is primarily a race oil formulator. You don't need to go that route. Even their street oils are best suited for week-end racers.

Getting back to GC, it's a heavier oil than M1 AFE 0W-30 at all temp's. If you liked M1 I'd stick with that for it's better fuel economy and cold start performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back