Zinc-1211
Moly052
Fuel [email protected]
Water/Soot/Glycol = 0 or N/A
TBN: 8.37
---------------------------------------------

AMSOIL ASL 5W30 2.2L 4cyl Camry 5SFE 5,082mi

Miles on car 24236
Toyota Camry 2.2L 4cylinder. Driven 95% all highway except the part of the road to get to/from the highway. Car is only used on the weekend Sat/Sun and sometimes Fri, therefore I average about less than 1,000mi/mo.
October 2003 - April 2003 6mo.

Air filter was N&N
Oil Filter was Toyota Genuine Filter
Changed Filter half way and added 1/2qt of Castrol Syntec -- THUS the MOLY --
OIL CAPACITY 3.6 quarts

Iron - 4
Chrome - 0
Lead - 5
Copper - 4
Tin - 0
Aluminum - 2
Nickel - 0
Silver - 0
Silicon - 24
Boron - 34
Sodium - 30
Magnesium - 362
Calcium - 2873
Barium - 0
Phosph - 1074
Zinc - 1237
Moly - 27
Tita - 0
Vanadium - 0
Potassium - 0
Fuel VIS @ 40C n/A
VIS @ 100C 11.5
Water - 0
SOOT - n/A
GYLCOL -NEG

TBN - 9.29
OXID - 8.0
NITR - 12.0

*** Wondering Why the Sodium is so high? I am not leaking any coolant or burning any. No coolant in oil or oil in coolant. NO Glycol readings. It seems to increase over time and not mileage. The samples were all taken by Toyota Mechanics, so Either they were eating lunch and added some salt into my sample or I just don't know.

The car however sits around every week and only gets driven on the weekend on 120mi trips. The most recent UOA was done after I had the valve cover opened twice to look for sludge.

What does everyone think?

[ June 25, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: tadaima ]

I wonder it has to do with how hard the water is around my area. I can easily say that we have the hardest water in CA. I park outside, and kinda near a sprinkler.

Na did jump out at me. The standard answers are:

coolant
dirt via the intake (NaCl sea spray, ice melt compounds)
oil additives/add pack
grease intermingling

Do any of these ring a bell?

No coolant in. No K in the Amsoil run.
Si is a little high, but doesn't seem high enough to be a leak, nor are your wear metals high. NaCl - Do you live on the Cali coast? Sea spray, constant salt fog can enter via the air filter
I assume you didn't add extras to the oil.
Any grease on or in the oil filter (seal ring)??

[ June 26, 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Well my drive is usually from Sacramento to the Bay area, but not S.F. I mean it gets foggy seasonaly. The 5sfe oil filter is position UPWARDS, so when the oil filter is changed, it is highly likely that stuff (dust/salt) fall into the mounting area.

I change the oil filter at 2500mi and top off, maybe by changing the oil filter halfway causes a window in which salts can get in from debri. Possibly should wash down that area where the oil filter is mounted. Good thing is you dont have to craw under to change the filter at all.

All the oils i've used AMSOIL, M1, GC should not have that much salt. I check the dip stick very often. Pretty much every other week. That probably adds some Na in there maybe.

Well prior to this UOA, I cleaned the throttle body, opened the valve cover twice, changes spark plugs, and added Neutra 131.

This was all done around 30K, this sample was taking a bit after 32K. So maybe the next UOA will be lower, as long I dont do anything that can possible contaminate the oil.

I'd go back to running the Amsoil 5w-30, since the wear rates are much lower. i'd change the oil/filter every 10,000 miles,which will be very conservative, given this data. If this engine is still under warranty, I'd run the longest drain interval recommended by Toyota, which I believe is 7500 miles.

I think the consistent sodium is probably salt spray and you always see high silicone in new toyota engines from seal/gasket leaching. But it's worth keeping an eye on ....

TS

I have the same vehicle as you but GC (Castrol SLX) does much better in mine. What baffles me is why your oxidation is only 4.0 after 8 months of use! Mine reached 83 (41.5%) after only 4 months of use.

What's the reason you opened your valve cover twice? Did you remove the thottle body for cleaning or just spray the TB while connected to the intake? This would definately elevate your wear.

Ken4, Well I opened it up because I was worried about the sludge issue, wanted to make sure I didnt have ANY at all. What I did find right under the two cam gears was this tumor of..well..dry sludge? It was the size of jelly bean and as soon as i touched it with my screwdriver it kinda rolled down the head somewhere. I took out what was left and it was like someone stuck some flour in there, the stuff wasnt hard or gooey it was like powder inside. Around it was some varnish or a bit of burnoff residue.

I also noticed that the RTV sealant was done kinda sloppy, that would explain some of the silicon.

As for the salt I looked at everyone else's UOA and do notice that some have higher numbers when driven less.

With SODIUM this high, if it was some kind of coolant leak, shouldnt there be some sort of trace glycol? How does one know that it is a coolant leak for sure based off of UOA? Like I said, haven't noticed the level missing, I check the reseviour every month or so, and when cold it is at the same spot, right on the max line.

My driving habits is mainly 95% freeway and I don't speed, but I do bring the car up to about 5K-6K rpms, every so often to clear things up.

Do you drive your car everyday Ken?

Looks like the M1/Amsoil did the best here.
dunno.gif

I also use the same gas station like 90% of the time, maybe the Cheveron station that I fill up has a lot of salts? High Sodium gas is bad for your car
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back