Gave M1 yet another chance only to disappoint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run M1 0w40 in a G60 Corrado, '91 750il, '82 280ZXT, '87 735i, '06 325i, '06 X3, and in my '04 Phaeton and I have never had an issue with noise...

Maybe because they have all been European vehicles? The oil has also met the specifications required for each engine...

I'm still waiting for someone to actually record and analyze the noise. It would be interesting to see it. I admit that I'm skeptical of these claims.

robert

My noise in both Fords with M1 has been more than cold start up noise mind you, I know these mod motors with higher mileage make a little rattle when started cold, I'm used to that but its 3 times louder on M1 oils and it doesn't go away!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the engines in my truck or my Explorer and thats a fact.

They both run perfectly and are very well maintained. I'm not saying the M1 was a bad oil, it just amazed me that it is still so noisy and obviously after reading the replies here, I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

I truly wished I had recorded the noise in my Explorer vs how quiet it is now with the MC oil. It has approx 1000 miles on this OCI and still quiet as a mouse, even when I started it this AM at 28*F

Two questions come to mind. The first is why a 40 grade oil in an engine that doesn't spec it? Especially in the winter.

The second is: was the filter functioning correctly? It could have a bad ABDV valve as already mentioned.

Meh...I switched from 5W-20 (Pennzoil Ultra and MS5K) to M1 AFE 0W-20 at 100K on my 2010 FX4 with a 5.4L and ran 15K OCIs for the next 60K. There was no more noise with M1 than there was with the other oils and as Modular engines go, mine was very quiet. Unless someone is using sophisticated audio equipment that is capable of measuring the difference in sound as well as comparing it and controlling the environment in which the engine is operated and the sound measured, IMHO, I write most of this off as placebo effect and Internet amplification. Granted there could be some engines that have a particular tendency towards one oil or the other, but to hear about all of these engines that make vastly more noise just seems "off".

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Meh...I switched from 5W-20 (Pennzoil Ultra and MS5K) to M1 AFE 0W-20 at 100K on my 2010 FX4 with a 5.4L and ran 15K OCIs for the next 60K. There was no more noise with M1 than there was with the other oils and as Modular engines go, mine was very quiet. Unless someone is using sophisticated audio equipment that is capable of measuring the difference in sound as well as comparing it and controlling the environment in which the engine is operated and the sound measured, IMHO, I write most of this off as placebo effect and Internet amplification. Granted there could be some engines that have a particular tendency towards one oil or the other, but to hear about all of these engines that make vastly more noise just seems "off".

It is off. Some are M1 haters because of the success of XM, but if you want the lubricated parts of your engine to last almost indefinitely with long OCIs, M1 oils will do that for you. I have found that out for the last 38 years.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm sure I'll catch some flaming from the M1 fans all over this site but I just recently tried my 3rd and final OCI with an M1 product and once again I have been let down. This time I tried the infamous 0W40 in my wifes Explorer Limited with the 4.6l V8, not until M1 did it ever have any start up noise/rattle and when hot at idle it had a very pronounced "knock" (likely timing chain tensioner noise and nothing serious but still) Same Motorcraft FL820S filter is always used so it wasn't that.

I put some Motorcraft 5W30 in it this OCI and its quiet as a mouse again. I have tried M1 oils in my F150 and my Honda cars and always found it made my engines noisy.

Anyone else find this or is it just me? Sorry Mobil, I'm done. If its noisy it can't be good...

The proper oil viscosity for that engine according to Ford is 5W-20.

I just started my 02 Mustang GT 4.6. Its been parked outside in a snow bank for 2 months. It started right up and no noises. Engine sounded great. Mobil 1 5W30. Not sure why anyone would use 0W40 in a 4.6.

Lets face it, the aggregate results show M1 is noisy in all grades and the proponderence of the evidence suggests that is going to be a problem predominantly for everyone. Now they say almost doesn't count but only in horseshoes and hand grrenades. I hope Mobil 1 goes under for dilly dallying us all these years with the whole Group III "noise" (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Lets face it, the aggregate results show M1 is noisy in all grades and the proponderence of the evidence suggests M! is noisy and that is going to be a problem predominantly for almost everyone. Now they say almost doesnt count. I hope Mobil 1 goes under and by that I do not mean Australia.

Thanks SPAM Man!!!

Markasspam.jpg

I have Fords (plus some in the family) and they are particular about oil as the mileage accumulates...

With mine, over 100K miles and I switch up to Delo400 and stone quiet on cold start and hot run. Napa Gold (WIX) filters only.

SAAB hated Mobil1 and Rotella T-6. Rattled like a can of marbles on cold start. All went away on Chevron Supreme and Maxlife 10W-30 (Red Bottle SemiSyn).

I agree on bad filters having a big impact. But once I hear cold start noise, the filter comes off right now and another goes on. That usually kills the noise. But in the case of the SAAB (133K miles), it wanted different oil...

You just gotta find out what works? My wife's Jag 6 does not care. Put anything in there and it sounds the same. Same for the Chevy truck (454). But some motors do react to some oils with increased noise ...

Last edited:
lol YW and the term Network Engineer is an oxymoron.

Perhaps you can take that up with Cisco and Juniper then. I'm sure they'd love your contributions about as much as they are appreciated here
smirk.gif

lol YW and the term Network Engineer is an oxymoron.

At least it's just when they are on oxy...

I ran my 1997 4.6L from 29K to 232K miles and never once heard any odd "noises" from the engine bay. It was quiet on various oils from Valvoline, to QS, to Pennzoil, to bulk tanks, etc...whatever conventional oils the local Quick Lube establishments were using. No one told me 4.6L engines are noisy. My current one at 68K is not noisy either. If I want to get rid of a rattle I would just toss in a quart of PYB 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I ran my 1997 4.6L from 29K to 232K miles and never once heard any odd "noises" from the engine bay. It was quiet on various oils from Valvoline, to QS, to Pennzoil, to bulk tanks, etc...whatever conventional oils the local Quick Lube establishments were using. No one told me 4.6L engines are noisy. My current one at 68K is not noisy either. If I want to get rid of a rattle I would just toss in a quart of PYB 10w-30.

I did (see sig)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back