Gasoline brand recommendations for bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking at this forum I see lots of discussion about oil, filters, lubes, but nothing on which brand of gas, if any, seems to work better on bikes. Given how highly tuned modern motorcycle engines are it would seem that what gas one uses would be an important factor.

Any thoughts?

Crazy but I think Gulf > Citgo here. If it's a matter of them accidentally using less ethanol, my non feedback carb'd bike will notice it more than my FI car.

Picking a "best gas" on a worldwide forum is a bit tough with regional differences and everyone buying from everyone else's terminal.

Until someone can objectively prove that brand X is better than brand Y, I'll just stick with brand-names and not lose any sleep over it.

I agree that the right octane has more to do with it than brands.

I was told some years ago that Texaco and Exon had the best gasoline but don't know how true that is now days.

My bike runs equally well on all brands of gasoline but I do make it a point to buy from the same station when I can. Mostly for ease of entry and exit from the place and it's close by.

I personally prefer Shell V-Power 93. Sunoco, BP, Chevron, Exxon, etc. are all decent too. As mentioned before, always use the proper octane rating. I've seen idiots who have spent $20,000 on a Harley yet are too cheap to spring for the required premium fuel and tank up on regular instead.

Hi.

There is no difference between the brands; ex. Shell, Chevron, Mobil. They all meet the minimum federal requirements for unleaded gasoline (if you are fueling up with unleaded gasoline) and even implement what they claim are proprietary additives to make your engine run better. Actually, it doesn't make your engine run better per se, but the compounds used (additives) help keep your engine clean. And they are all very very similar in their molecular structure. It is their structure that gives these compounds their "cleaning" ability, which relies on surface area and non-polarity than anything else. But that would require a lesson in organic chemistry which...haha! Would take a long time to type out.

There are different brands of gasoline, but only one real type of gasoline for passenger vehicles: unleaded. Or probably diesel too. So I don't personally think that there is a discernible difference between the gas brands available for your consumer vehicles. However, fuels developed for racing are a different story, and each is formulated differently.

Shell and Sunoco - Highest octane on the pump- My Ducati was picky, and if I ever put regular in -as I did in an emergency. The bike bogged down- big time. (as if I were carrying a fat lady on the back )

Overall, I have noticed motorcycles are much more sensitive to oil type/viscosity and gas used.

I run regular unleaded from whatever station is cheapest or closest in all of my bikes. They all run fine on regular, none call for premium. Ive never noticed a difference in mileage or performance, nor would I expect to. they all come from the same pipeline and out of the same terminal 10 miles north of me. I see the different trucks making the same turn down the road everyday as I pass it on my way to work.

Sometimes I even grab some gas from work (at the airport) if it's low, as theres no nearby stations. It runs the same on airport gas from the same pipeline, just 10 miles further north of the terminal.

My theory is that if a manfacturer recommends a certain brand of fuel or oil, it's because that particular oil company already has a business deal inked with them. Say for example, Ford and BP. On many new Fords, you see on the gas cap how Ford recommends BP fuel. (My friend has an '08 Fusion with that cap and it runs great with Shell, just like my GM) Like the others mentioned, just use a name brand gas with the proper octane.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

There is no difference between the brands; ex. Shell, Chevron, Mobil. They all meet the minimum federal requirements for unleaded gasoline (if you are fueling up with unleaded gasoline) and even implement what they claim are proprietary additives to make your engine run better. Actually, it doesn't make your engine run better per se, but the compounds used (additives) help keep your engine clean. And they are all very very similar in their molecular structure. It is their structure that gives these compounds their "cleaning" ability, which relies on surface area and non-polarity than anything else. But that would require a lesson in organic chemistry which...haha! Would take a long time to type out.

There are different brands of gasoline, but only one real type of gasoline for passenger vehicles: unleaded. Or probably diesel too. So I don't personally think that there is a discernible difference between the gas brands available for your consumer vehicles. However, fuels developed for racing are a different story, and each is formulated differently.

Finally, some wise words on gasoline...
01.gif

If I had a bike that called for anything higher than 87 octane, I'd try to find a station that has three hose pumps.
Weights and measures allows 0.3 gallons of whatever was pumped before to come through on the single hose pumps. It doesn't sound like much, but the smaller the tank the more difference it makes.

The sticker on the lower leg of my '96 Harley cop bike says to use 87 octane or higher.I take that to mean that if it doesn't ping or run [censored], in general that's the octane rated gas to use. Sure it will run fine on high test, but the only difference is you will spend more but not get any benefit for the money.,

Here in CA the properties are the same. Its all E10, among other specs. 91 is the highest Ive seen on the pump. There is an allowable difference in the amount of detergent additives. "Top Tier" brands, such as Chevron, Shell and 76, as well as Mobil, have more detergent than Arco or Valero. Thats about it.

Octane correctness is essential but brand is optional.
More high performance the bike the pickier it gets with regard to gas octane and even add packs. All are same base gas with different adds.
Top tier gas is as good as it gets and I have had many bikes and tried many brand gas.
My B-king, as well as Honda 919 that I had ran much better with Shell, Chevron and BP. Under load I could even hear a different pipe note with cheaper gas and bike acted as not as willing.

I think you also have to remember that GAS stations are owned by individuals- and like all businesses, some owners take care and others couldn't care less.

Its just as important to buy gas from a reputable gas station -not just a reputable brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back