Gas station pump calibration in question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co worker of my wife’s stopped at a local gas station this week to fill up. The car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. The low fuel light was on when she stopped at the gas station. She put the pump nozzle on automatic and thought it was strange when the gas kept pumping at 14 gallons. When it reached 15 gallons she cut it off. When she got home she checked her manual and it stated that the car only holds 13.2 gallons. Could it be that the stations pumps are that far out of calibration or some shenanigans going on?

Gas station pump calibration are typically controlled by the state. If she thinks she was ripped off, she should go back to the station and look at the exact same pump. There is probably a state-installed decal on it describing the last time it was inspected. Write down all the info about the pump and station and report it to the state inspectors. Don't know who that is in VA but here in GA it's managed by the Dept of Agriculture.

In the meantime she should patronize a different station, preferably one with newer gas pumps as they're less likely to be worn out.

Mike, a number of stations around here got nailed for the very same shenanigans you just mentioned. People filled up their car... noticed that they filled more gallons than the tank holds... called the authorities, and these stations had to pay a hefty fine. Report the [censored].

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Yes, the calibrations are brutal. Carry a marked one gallon can and fill it up, you'll find your answer out right away.

That's not accurate.

There are government inspection agencies to verify the accuracy.

There is also a risk of digital pumps being "chipped" so the 1 and 5 gallon measurements the gov't inspectors make are accurate, but then the pumps skew afterwards.

Jeez,this is illegal immigrant gas station owner operator class-101. Every town in America with more than 1 station has one of these jokers underfilling your tank. It will always be the no-name brand which has the lowest price. I'm certain its just a few half turns with a microscrewdriver for this meter tune-up.

I've run into something similar. I noticed my gas gauge be on a quarter of a tank. When I filled up at this certain shell station, it registered almost 13 gallons when it clicked full. Usually I can only squeeze 11 gallons when I'm a quarter of a tank. Now, with our recent gas shortage. This certain station has dropped their gas prices reluctantly the past two weeks. they are still on the high side. Average price of gas in USA $3.31. they are at $3.55/gallon. Neighboring stations are in the $3.40's/gallon. They are still raking in a profit.

The ones that may not notice this are those that never fill their tank to full. I see a lot of people just putting in $20 worth and they're not topped off.

I think in California they have a number of people who just drive around and check gas stations. They have special cars that the gas never actually goes into the tank. It looks normal ..but the added gas is going into a measured container. They had it on (iirc) ABC ..some expose~. They found a few methods ...tampering with the circuit boards...etc.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Yes, the calibrations are brutal. Carry a marked one gallon can and fill it up, you'll find your answer out right away.

That's not accurate.

There are government inspection agencies to verify the accuracy.

Oh, okay then...... The original poster is now not only a liar, but delusional as well..... and the Government cares very much about us and is definately on top of consumer protection, it is their passion afterall..... let's believe you.

Originally Posted By: mckennaiii
Co worker of my wife’s stopped at a local gas station this week to fill up. The car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. The low fuel light was on when she stopped at the gas station. She put the pump nozzle on automatic and thought it was strange when the gas kept pumping at 14 gallons. When it reached 15 gallons she cut it off. When she got home she checked her manual and it stated that the car only holds 13.2 gallons. Could it be that the stations pumps are that far out of calibration or some shenanigans going on?

The rated capacity can be exceeded in some if not all fuel tanks.

I know my Golf's total capacity, including the filler tube, is 16.9-17.0 gallons. But the rated capacity is only about 14-15 gallons. When the "low fuel" light comes on, I still have 1.9 gallons left -- if I fill to the brim right away, I can add 15.0-15.1 gallons.

How could this happen in a Honda Hybrid? Pumps usually turn off automatically, while in the incident reported above it might have continued adding fuel even though the tank was full. Plus, the tank may have been almost dry when she started fueling. So, going from bone dry to "full to the brim" could be up to two gallons more than a usually fill-up.

I see them checking the pumps here very often. Atleast once a month. I even asked them what they were doing and they said they checked the accuracy of the pumps.

It's a private company that does it here.

When I worked in service stations, "Weights and Measures" would come 3 or 4 times a year, unannounced and check the pumps. Every complaint from a customer to them, and they'd be out again.

There was an issue with a particular model Holden that was designed with an 80 or 85 litre tank, but due to air burping, couldn't be filled any where near that. Holden de-rated the tank to (IIRC) 70 litres.

Problem was, that we had one pump on a sloping piece of ground that allowed the tank to breath, allowing people to put 80litres into a 70 litre tank.

We had huge issues with that model, and that pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back