Filling up when fuel truck is at gas station?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Supposedly when the fuel truck is filling up a gas station, it stirs up sediment and debris at the bottom of the tanks. The sediment gets suspended and can find it's way into your gas tank if you are filling up when the fuel truck is hooked up to the station.

Is this true and should one avoid filling up when the fuel truck is at the station?

I believe most modern gas storage tanks are made of fiberglass, so it won't be the cause of rust or scale. The only other place anything could get into the storage tank, would be from the delivery truck. And those get flushed out pretty regular. And there are filters that catch pretty much anything else including water, before it gets into your tank. My friends gas station years back, had water sensors in his tanks. And there was always some acceptable amount of water in them, according to the mfgr. I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a while before gassing up because everything is getting stirred up, when the tank is being filled. But alot of people are blind to the fact the tanks are being filled, and don't seem to have alot of problems. Or at least you don't hear about it very much.,,

Anyone else remember the Amoco final filter that was built into the nozzle assembly at Amoco gas stations in the past? Those were supposed to remove any particulates that found their way into the storage tanks so they would not get into the customer's vehicle.

What if they drove off 5 minutes before you got there
Would you know ?
You probably wouldn't. But then again water and big debris probably settle out in a very few minutes.

How old are the tanks? What are they made of? And how would you know? If you're a local and know when the station was built you have a pretty good idea. Otherwise you're in the dark.

You probably wouldn't. But then again water and big debris probably settle out in a very few minutes.

How old are the tanks? What are they made of? And how would you know? If you're a local and know when the station was built you have a pretty good idea. Otherwise you're in the dark.
My rule of thumb is
I buy from a high volume station

Always getting fresh gas

Back