tire inflators at all the gas stations are closed down?

A while back I had a leaky tire that I usually added air via my 60 gallon quincy at home. Anyways, I forgot one day and I was like oh well I'll just stop at the gas station and use one of those pumps. I went to four different gas stations, didn't matter what station it was, everyone had a bag over their inflation station. A year later, I noticed the same thing. These pumps are still blocked off. Why??? Did something happen with these? How is someone supposed to inflate their tires? I keep a 10 gallon portable air tank in my truck at all times, so it's rarely an issue for me. I just think it's weird that every pump in a 20 mile radius is closed off.

Are they free? Maybe they're changing over to pay to pump. The Wawa chain of gas and convenience stores has greatly expanded in NJ and they have free air. And sometimes the line for air is 5 cars deep. I bought a little air pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter and works great.

Are they free? Maybe they're changing over to pay to pump. The Wawa chain of gas and convenience stores has greatly expanded in NJ and they have free air. And sometimes the line for air is 5 cars deep. I bought a little air pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter and works great.
You can put your credit card in now, yes they charge

The free air hoses, the free standalone boxes and even the pay-for-air boxes have nearly all disappeared from my area. I can't even think of any working ones right now off the top of my head.

I've moved onto one of the Fanttik rechargeable inflators; it does a nice job.

Wawas have 2 air pumps, but usually only one is working :sneaky:

Here in Canada it's the same story.

We used to have several gas stations with free air. The last to offer it was Chevron.
These days if you can find one, they are all pay as you need.

Like others in this thread, I've also resorted to the portable type you plug into the "cigarette lighter".
Works great and gives fantastic pressure, especially when the engine is running.
(y)

what do you mean? You mean they moved them by the pumps? No I haven't seen that.
yes, i went through the same confusion you are going through in WA state. eventually i noticed someone using an inflator that was between the gas pumps

I haven't seen a free air pump at a gas station in years. Places like Discount Tire will add air for free and I suspect many tire shops will as well. I think the nearby Walmart - with an auto center - has a hose ran outside during the day when they're open.

I initially didn't have a problem with the coin-operated boxes. I mean otherwise a station has to maintain a compressor, hoses and chucks for free, and I'm sure people at the very least drive over the chucks.

My problem was that they are VERY slow, and since the pay structure was based on time, the cynic in me said this was intentional and the potential for abuse seemed considerable, ie make the compressor as weak and slow as possible.

Anyway, I pretty much carry an M12 or M18 inflator in every vehicle now. Obviously cigarette lighter units would be more affordable

Just do some research. There is usually someone that has free air.
Around me that is GetGo, Duchess, and BJ's (technically if you are a member, although, I doubt they monitor it that close.)
Also, Costco. (They don't monitor it at all.)

There are no free air stations anywhere around me anymore. They have all been replaced with coin/bill/credit card operated air pumps. And most of those are broken when you stop at a gas station for whatever reason. I never use them, I fill up from my big compressor at home or I use one of those small 12V plug in style that I keep in my vehicles. The 12V ones are slow but will get the job done eventually if you are out on the road and really need to fill up a tire to get home.

If you've got a Costco membership, just use their free nitrogen filling stations in their parking lot. I wouldn't pay extra for nitrogen for my tires, but when it's free, why not! It does have benefits over regular air (which I realize is 80% nitrogen as it is)

The last time I saw a PHONE BOOTH....
PHONE BOOTH.jpg

Back