Gas Price Increase More Than 50 Cents in 2 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cal gas price went up more than 50 cents in about 2 months. It was $3.45-$3.50 early Jan, now it is more than $4 for 87 Octane for cash, credit card adds another 8-10 cents.

Where is $3/gal as predicted by some smart a** ?

Here in South Florida, I paid $3.29 two months ago and $3.59 yesterday. Not exactly 50 cents, but a significant increase.

The local Chevron is $3.79, The Sunoco $3.59.

Well at least one part of the answer/excuse is very easy. There is concern in the oil and gas industry that Russia will face sanctions for its actions in Crimea. Russia exports oil so the Wall Street banksters and speculators and others are using that as an excuse to raise prices.

Oil companies are thinking it makes no sense to build new wells or new refineries only to flood the market with oil, which would lower the price of crude and refined fuels and yield zero return on the investment. Cant put 100% of the blame in Wash .

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Oil companies are thinking it makes no sense to build new wells or new refineries only to flood the market with oil, which would lower the price of crude and refined fuels and yield zero return on the investment. Cant put 100% of the blame in Wash .

Sure you can. Does Keystone XL ring a bell?

Guys, it's the annual change from winter to summer gas. In the wintertime refineries can blend a lot of cheap, high octane butane into gasoline. Come spring, that ends till the following fall because butane causes vapor pressure (air pollution) problems in warm weather.

Keystone not approved, Syria swinging in the wind, fewer wells drilled on gov't land, no new refineries, shut down coal industry are a few causes. Guess what (Who) is the guiding factor in this?

Same here.
We could get fuel for three bucks and change or even less until the first week of March.
We paid $3.59/gal yesterday and that was the lowest price we saw.
We saw gasoline as high as $3.68/gal.

I don't think any of us here can do anything about gas prices - there are a lot of things that can influence the price of gas, they just got listed in this thread. Since this condition exists, my tactic is to have a small car just in case. Let gas hit $5 and you'll see me in my Mazdaspeed3 which gets much better mpg's than my pickup truck. Let it get completely out of hand and I'll get an electric car as they are getting better. The Critic with his Pruis may be the only sane person here..

If you're not rich you just gotta do what you gotta do...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
So Cal gas price went up more than 50 cents in about 2 months. It was $3.45-$3.50 early Jan, now it is more than $4 for 87 Octane for cash, credit card adds another 8-10 cents.

It's in NJ.
grin.gif
$3.19 outside of Atlantic City.

Speculators are driving up the price because of the Crimea situation.

Which is why they should do away with oil future trading unless you take actual delivery.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Speculators are driving up the price because of the Crimea situation.

Which is why they should do away with oil future trading unless you take actual delivery.

Speculative trading is a zero sum game. For every winner there is a loser on the other side of the bet - and no, the consumer is not the loser as he takes actual delivery. Eventually you have to close out you position or take actual delivery.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Keystone not approved, Syria swinging in the wind, fewer wells drilled on gov't land, no new refineries, shut down coal industry are a few causes. Guess what (Who) is the guiding factor in this?

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01...-high-in-2012/#

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...red-gas-prices/

Depends on who you listen to. Some say Keystone will increase prices in places in the USA, because the oil will be exported to Asia. Diesel is high because it is being exported to the "world market". This is what happens when we send US jobs overseas and enable communist red China.

I am used to paying up to .50 more for diesel and was shocked that putting gas in the truck just last week, it was only .03 more than the 87 octane unleaded!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

$4/gal in the Bay Area as well. In the Central Valley, we typically run about 30-cents a gallon less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back