Fun little test drive today: 2007 Roush Mustang Stage 3

Call this a brag post, but it's not often I get to slide behind the wheel of something "exotic". Sure, it's not a Lambo, however this machine was much more interesting in my eyes.

A few 4-5 weeks ago, a local body shop sent us this 2007 Roush Mustang that had been in a front end wreck. They had most of the damaged body panels off already, however they needed the engine out of the way to replace the tweaked frame rails. As is customary at my shop when a ... job comes in, it was assigned to me. I dropped the engine and trans as a unit, bolted the subframe/steering back up to keep it a roller, and sent it back. Fast forward two weeks, it was back and I did the reverse, only now on a car that had fresh paint and an intact core support.

The body shop finished up this week, and sent it down for an alignment. Obviously, I had dibs. It aligned perfectly (guess I got the subframe back in square) and I got to test drive it. All I can say is WOW. The power this thing puts down is beyond anything I've ever driven.

Sure, it's still a Mustang. It rattled, it felt cheap, it was pull me over red, but my GOD the sounds that supercharged 4.6 makes as it exhales through 4-into-1 long tubes and cat-less downpipes. It had mufflers, but you could have fooled me had I not been the one that removed them in the first place. The clutch is something... medieval. Heavy to the point that it's just this side of annoying, yet so satisfying and incredibly linear. Same for the shifter, it took a strong positive hand to engage, but you always knew what gear you selected and the throws were nice and short.

As much fun as it was for the 10-15 minutes I spent with it, I couldn't imagine actually spending real money on one. The car itself ruined what was otherwise a grin-inducing break from the joke of a day that I'd been having. The 4-link rear suspension creaked and banged, the Nitto tires grabbed and stuck to every little ridge in the road, the exhaust bellow (as phallic-raisingly good as it is at first) was annoying after 2 miles. I couldn't even see myself enjoying it as a weekend toy. So many better options out there, plus the "rarity" factor ruins it even more. This car was #7 of 50... would you be able to enjoy it?

de23d0747acdf6848f4d68ff06c3d5f284833164-14.jpg

I'm sorry, as I was concentrating so hard on not screwing this project up I didn't really get any pictures of the car or the process. All I could find was this, an out of focus shot of the drivetrain after initial removal.

Since I had to keep it a roller, I removed the front K-member and trans member all together. After the assembly was removed, I attached a chain to the engine and lifted it off the jack stands it was resting on. I then unbolted the engine mount to K-member bolts, pulled it aside, and rested the oil pan on a rolling dolly topped by a spare wooden engine jig that JY's use to deliver their engines.

I reinstalled the K-frame, reconnected the steering, and sent it on it's flatbed way. Reverse the process when it returned. As much time as I lost on on it (I get paid a percentage of flat rate) by being extra careful, it was fun. Plus, finally getting to take it on a proper drive made it all worth it.

Back