Full-SAPS A3/B4 A40-style Euro lube with a twist...

Keep in mind that catalysts have become more efficient with the introduction of PZEV vehicles. OEM's also have an obligation to make the catalyst last the full length of the PZEV warranty, which is 10 years or 150K.

OEM's also allow for some oil consumption, so the oils must be able to not destroy catalysts during that timeframe.
My sister's 330i is PZEV and spec's an LL-01 (full-SAPS) oil.

The difference of course is that it specifies an oil that has an HTHS of at least 3.5cP, and so BMW had no inclination to reduce SAPS levels with just catalysts on these vehicles. Noack is also capped at 10%.

And yes, exactly, OEM's have to allow for some oil consumption and, with the shift to thinner oils that are more likely to consume, we saw the API cap phosphorous on those specific oils, while the xW-40's were exempt.

Last edited:
From what I've seen - in an oil burner cat converter is a goner, regardless of SAPS content in the oil. But if engine doesn't burn any oil - cat converter lives a happy life until age takes it's toll on it, regardless of SAPS content.
Not always - if an oil burner doesn’t throw a P0420 nor fail the visual portion of CA’s smog check with visible smoke, chances are the cat’s OK.

Castrol touted “phosphorus replacement technology” in GTX HM and XOM dropped the ACEA A3/B4 self-certification for M1EP. It seems all COTS HM oils have been pushing lower Zn/P an adding moly/titanium for cat life and low wear.

I don't know if I agree with that - my wife's Accord has been burning a quart every 2-3K for the last 100k miles and the original catalytic converter is still fine.

I am personally aware of numerous other examples.
Not always - if an oil burner doesn’t throw a P0420 nor fail the visual portion of CA’s smog check with visible smoke, chances are the cat’s OK.

Castrol touted “phosphorus replacement technology” in GTX HM and XOM dropped the ACEA A3/B4 self-certification for M1EP. It seems all COTS HM oils have been pushing lower Zn/P an adding moly/titanium for cat life and low wear.
Not always, but for the most part seems to be the case. But then again - my opinion is based purely on vehicles that I've dealt with. May have been just my luck.

This HPL blend has definitely struck my interest. Especially since it was formulated at a forum members request.

However I’m no wise oil sage. I use a 0W-20 in my plug in hybrid Prius prime. Would this be a good choice as as some said in this thread already it’s quite thick for a 20.

I’m not worried about fuel economy. I’m just curious if it’s a proper 20 weight to use in a hybrid. It’s just plain stupidity as I’m not so bright about what ever field should be.

Any insight honestly and greatly appreciated.

This HPL blend has definitely struck my interest. Especially since it was formulated at a forum members request.

However I’m no wise oil sage. I use a 0W-20 in my plug in hybrid Prius prime. Would this be a good choice as as some said in this thread already it’s quite thick for a 20.

I’m not worried about fuel economy. I’m just curious if it’s a proper 20 weight to use in a hybrid. It’s just plain stupidity as I’m not so bright about what ever field should be.

It's not really "thick" for a 20, just has a bit higher HTHS and more robust AW chemistry. It would be fine your your Prius if it calls for an xW-20.

I'm trying to race against the clock to order some of the remainder of this oil. I was originally supposed to buy it on August 6th but that didn't happen.

Toyota calls for 0W-16 in the PP, IIRC. 0W-20 as well as 5W-30/10W-30/20W-50 have been qualified in those engines too in the rest of the world.

Honestly, a API SP with dexos1/ILSAC approvals works fine in a Prius provided it doesn’t go beyond 5K. The hybrids don’t see as much loading as the regular cars do. However, as these cars age, oil consumption inevitably happens - ring packs get coked up and if history is right, not enough oil return holes in the pistons.

The HPL should do a better job keeping the engine clean, it’s up to you to make that cost/benefit analysis.

Wonder how this but in a 30 flavor would fair in a 2.0 Ecoboost, I somewhat worry about lspi but euro flavors always seem to bring more to the table

Wonder how this but in a 30 flavor would fair in a 2.0 Ecoboost, I somewhat worry about lspi but euro flavors always seem to bring more to the table
I also was thinking about somehow thickening it up to a borderline 30 grade as to the HTHS.. Those long trips, I tell ya.

They'll get ya, They'll get ya! One way, or anorher.. high MOFT is good.

Toyota calls for 0W-16 in the PP, IIRC. 0W-20 as well as 5W-30/10W-30/20W-50 have been qualified in those engines too in the rest of the world.

Honestly, a API SP with dexos1/ILSAC approvals works fine in a Prius provided it doesn’t go beyond 5K. The hybrids don’t see as much loading as the regular cars do. However, as these cars age, oil consumption inevitably happens - ring packs get coked up and if history is right, not enough oil return holes in the pistons.

The HPL should do a better job keeping the engine clean, it’s up to you to make that cost/benefit analysis.
Not to go off topic. But the PP for 17 and 18 were specd 0w20. The 19 and onwards are speced for 16. I didn’t realize the engine could use up to a 50 weight in other parts of the world. Cool

Is it correct calling this an A3/B4 lube when A3/B4 specifically calls for a HTHS of >3.5?

I understand stating that this is a 0w20 lubricant using an A4/B4 or Porsche A40 style additive package. But to state "Meets or exceeds" seems incorrect to me and quite misleading.

We can make green oil. That would not be an issue.

David
Hpl would make a custom blended color if the customer requests it??? Truly impressive.

How about the second part of his request??? Can you make it smell like Gummi bears???

It would be truly impressive if you can match the color Gummi bear oil to its actual flavor. It would set you as a blender waaaaayyyyy above other blenders.

Dark green oil is next??? Smells like a certain plant that gives you the munchies???

You can corner a market here.

Hpl, disregard my flavor request. Last thing we need is people following too close attempting to smell other cars. Nevermind the burned noses and lips....

Hpl, disregard my flavor request. Last thing we need is people following too close attempting to smell other cars. Nevermind the burned noses and lips....
It would be the new trend. First it was tide pods. Next, lets taste oil.

Hpl would make a custom blended color if the customer requests it??? Truly impressive.
There's nothing impressive about that. You can buy oem approved traceline dye for motor oil in many different colors and blend your own custom color oil.

Back