Fuel shortage

I had a hard time getting gas through saturday...and lots of stations still without Sunday.
Seems like things getting back to normal as of today (Monday).

Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere, you're nuts.

Instead of coming up with ridiculous branches of military like space force maybe a focus can shift to a new branch to deal with a real threat like foreign hacking.
Another really ridiculous statement posted by someone who doesn't have a clue but wishes to make some sort of political point. The military spends an enormous amount of time, effort and money keeping their large networks safe from intrusion.

And if you mean a civilian branch for this purpose then it already exists. The name is the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency. You know what their main problem is? Trying to convince industries and entities that this is a real problem. Some companies learn that the hard way like Garmin. Membership with the CISA is free.

I still remember grocery stores limiting milk to 1 gallon per person, yet farmers had to dump milk because nobody was buying from them.
A shortage can in fact be manufactured.
Just a fundamental lack of understanding how the supply chain works. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Lumber prices are also sky high, but only the sawmills are cashing in on it, not tree owners.

Who was the shortage manufactured by? There are bottlenecks in any production cycle.

Just a fundamental lack of understanding how the supply chain works. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Lumber prices are also sky high, but only the sawmills are cashing in on it, not tree owners.

Who was the shortage manufactured by? There are bottlenecks in any production cycle.
You don’t seem to understand how corporate greed works, yet you are lecturing others of their “lack of understanding” 😏
As the old saying goes “You never let a serious crisis go to waste”.

There was a disruption in the supply, impacted various areas differently. If it was some sort of conspiracy, it didn't have the intended effect as things in many places are back to normal and there wasn't a long lasting bump in prices.

You don’t seem to understand how corporate greed works, yet you are lecturing others of their “lack of understanding” 😏
The article you linked about milk does not reference anything about rationing milk to customers.
You've seem to have manufactured that part.
Facts cannot be manufactured so, please take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

The article you linked about milk does not reference anything about rationing milk to customers.
You've seem to have manufactured that part.
Facts cannot be manufactured so, please take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.
Well, I clearly remember being able to buy only one gallon of milk last year and two gallons from Costco, as that’s how it is packaged in California.
But I guess you got me there, I don’t have a link for that.

So when the gov't slaps IT requirements on slobs like Colonial don't go all Red Borg on us talking about gov't overreach. This is the irresponsible crap that results in regulation. Lazy, greedy CEO's either farming out or hiring (and being fooled by) incompetent IT staff. There's no legitimate excuse for this. Ransomware is old news.

Another really ridiculous statement posted by someone who doesn't have a clue but wishes to make some sort of political point. The military spends an enormous amount of time, effort and money keeping their large networks safe from intrusion.

And if you mean a civilian branch for this purpose then it already exists. The name is the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency. You know what their main problem is? Trying to convince industries and entities that this is a real problem. Some companies learn that the hard way like Garmin. Membership with the CISA is free.

It is not political it is simply a statement that our nationwide threat is cyber not anyone actually entering our soil because we spend a ton of money on that and they do pretty well. It is a lot cheaper to hire hackers than it is to build military might to undermine our country.

It is not hard to convince a company that it is a problem if a fine or consequence is involved for the lax security coupled to funding to assist them.

So when the gov't slaps IT requirements on slobs like Colonial don't go all Red Borg on us talking about gov't overreach. This is the irresponsible crap that results in regulation. Lazy, greedy CEO's either farming out or hiring (and being fooled by) incompetent IT staff. There's no legitimate excuse for this. Ransomware is old news.
Certainly. But new types of ransomware (and all malware) are constantly being coded. Security is always behind the bad guys.
I worked for the biggest corporate network security for over 6 years. Our company were the computer chief advisors to the White House.

It's really hard to stop something new until you see it. The best you can do is stop the spread as fast as you can.
I have to believe this was part of the problem in this case.

Well, I clearly remember being able to buy only one gallon of milk last year and two gallons from Costco, as that’s how it is packaged in California.
But I guess you got me there, I don’t have a link for that.
They produce milk based on forecasts. If there was a shortage last year they might bump up production this year anticipating the higher than last year demand. The additional demand wasn't there. Therefore a glut of milk with no demand for it. Milk is perishable. If they give the milk away, it drives down the prices and the other farmers will go broke. They destroy the milk to keep the price stable for the other farmers.

This guy filled up his hummer and then lit a cig. What could possibly go wrong other than now having both a gas and vehicle shortage?
Reminds me of roadtrip in the 80's up the Alaskan highway. They said gas stations might be hundreds of miles apart, so my father bought a 5 gallon gas can, filled it up and put it in the back of the rental, a hatchback. Could smell the gas the duration of the trip but didn't think anything of it. On the return leg once we reached civilization, I went to take the can out and fill the car with it. I grabbed the can and almost flung it across the parking lot. It was empty. It must have had a pin hole leak and the trunk mat absorbed it while it evaporated. Don't smoke but imagine we were one static shock away from being blown up.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Is the situation better now? We have tons of media blow up about things like Texas messed up power grid or fuel shortage but then a week or so the vast majority of affectes go back to normal life.

My wife and I made a trip up to North Carolina over the weekend for the NHRA races at Zmax and had no problem finding gas whatsoever.
Really, I have we traveled from Ky to north corolina Friday evening/Saturday and was limited to $20 worth at a few stations we visited. Was a pain in a vehicle getting 10MPG. We have not needed any gas being we have made it to our destination Saturday evening.

I don't think you understood the problem mentioned the article. They didn't have enough production capacity to take the extra milk. Wasn't really explained well in the article but this would be the same as pigs being slaughtered because the large producers had large infections and the plants were shut down. It's not that they had excess production capacity and turned it down which is what you're trying to imply. They probably had orders for bulk shipments of milk that didn't go into gallon containers to be sold to consumers. If those sales disappear, there's a limited amount of gallon containers that are available. Same issue with hand sanitizer at the beginning, not enough pump dispensers if everyone wants one at the same time. I hope you understand this lecture and stop being so cynical and assuming the worse when there are simpler explanations. Occam's razor can be very sharp.

This. I live in one of the areas that was affected by the pipeline shutdown. The very next day after the pipeline was announced back in full operation, most of the gas stations that were "out" miraculously had all octanes again. Fuel tanker trucks don't move that fast.

Years ago I concluded shortages were all staged. This one was no exception.
__009facepalm.gif

Back