Fuel Savings Going to Redline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My .02 on the fuel mileage issue:

On my last three cars, I have consistenty recorded fuel mileage better than the EPA Highway rating. On a 1995 Altima, running a variety of synthetic 5W-30 and MT-90 I would routinely turn in mileage in the low 30's, with a high of 36 mpg. It was rated at 30 mpg highway. On a 97 Maxima using Amsoil 5W-30 and 80W-90 gear lube, I would receive high 20's with a best figure of 30.6 mpg. The car was rated at 27 highway. On my 90 BMW 325, with 130k miles, running Amsoil 5W-30 in the engine and Series 2000 75W-90 in both the transmission and rear end, I just averaged 24.8 mpg cruising at a steady 75. The car is rated at 23 highway and as a side note, is still not running at it's best. Contrast these to my sister, who has a 97 Altima, who would kill to ever get 30 mpg using Castrol GTX.

I don't drive slow, and accelerate fairly agressively, so I'm not driving for ultimate mileage either. Looking at the above figures, it's hard for me to believe that synthetic oil does not contribute to fuel economy. I do agree that difference in most cases is neglible, but it is there. I also would never use synthetic solely for the benefit of fuel economy, that will never be cost effective. I look at the increased fficiency as an added bonus.

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
"I think that I have seen more useful information come off the oil analysis as it gives a more over all concept on how an oil works in real time applications. Of course, even that varies because there is no two tests identical but you look and take all the variables into account, give it your best guess on quality, then the ultimate way to prove to yourself if its the best, is to see if it is the best for you and your application by running it in your vehicle and use oil analysis to verify you made the correct choice for yourself."

Bob this seems to be the jist of all of this and I have been finding myself in the analysis section more and more. Not saying I know a lot but read enough of these things and you can separate the average from the better oils. This all plays well for Schaeffers since you rarely toot this oils horn but it shows its stuff with low wear numbers.

That Amsoil comparison is a laugh!!
lol.gif

They complain about Red Line comparing their oil to an old version of Amsoil ... and then did you see the date on the test? 1995! It's 7+ years old!
rolleyes.gif

And people wonder why I dislike so many Amsoil dealers.
rolleyes.gif
(Pablo, you are not included in that bunch).

Oh, and switching to Bosch plugs will not improve your mileage. I run NGKs in my Honda and trying Bosch Platinums showed a DECREASE in mileage.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, when I went from using Valvoline Synpower (it was a mixture of 5W30 & 10W30) to Red Line 10W30, my mileage (tracked carefully) dropped about 2-3%. I credit Red Line's resistance to shear for this. That stuff was noticeably thicker right out of the bottle. I wish I tried 5W30 under the same circumstances for a comparison.
frown.gif

Bob, thanks for those PDFs. Looked quickly at them ... but need to read them carefully some other time. Maybe I'll post again after I do.

--- Bror Jace

I had a feeling you were the same pedaltothemetal! Glad you can join us!

I always wonder when oil companies make outrageous claims like 5-10% more MPG and 10 extra horsepower from their oil. I wonder how this is possible? Unless you go from a 20w50 to a 0w20, I can't see how changing brands of oil will give you 10 extra horsepower.

Dr. M. Kule,

I don't think Amsoil generically (is that a word?) ever claimed 0.4 mm or smaller wear scars -I know the Series 2000's are a right around 0.4 - but the results depend on the oil variety.

Pedal if you want good MPG buy a Nissan SE-R !

Redline will not gain you any MPG in your "superstroker" engine because you have built it for POWER.

As a matter of fact when I see customers switch to Redline at a equal 100 C weight/Vis the mileage ususally remains the same. The Redline oils can be used in a weight less than normally run and maintain less wear. You might pickup some efficiency but you won't see MPG increase,... HP/TQ maybe.

Amsoil 20w-50 series 2000 4 ball wear values increase dramatically as the oil is used.

Redline 20w-50 wear values because of the PE and Moly decrease with use.

[ December 14, 2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back